vRS - new possible owner - advice needed

MrRee

Evening all ....

I know you have probably heard it all before, but, here goes ....

I own a Subaru Impreza Turbo, had it for 10 years since new.

Went to see the new Impreza WRX-S ... lovely car, but hatch boot too small (we have a big dog) - so, it looks like I will have to leave Subaru.

Looked at the Focus RS and the ST ... ok, but Ford.

Looked at the Mazda 3 MPS and the Astra VRX ... think I am too old for them.

Wandered into a Skoda Dealership to have a casual look at the Superb, wow - nice comfortable but a bit big for 2 adults and dog. Salesman suggested Octavia .... interesting, very interesting - I always thought they were saloons (they look like saloons) but then he opened up a MASSIVE boot space! Fantastic! But what about pace? He suggested the vRS and they are doing Special Offers on them at the moment so he says .... Skoda are paying the VAT or something?

He took me to a 2007 vRs which looked pretty good, in blue - 40,000 miles and £10,000 ... seemed good value?

The new OTR price of a vRS Hatchback is £15,248 - this is for the 200BHP petrol hatch on a 10 plate - before me haggling. Not sure if that is good or not really? Is there about to be a new model soon? Would the Diesel at a few £100 more be better?

Now, I know that I will be a bit disappointed at the performance - coming from an Impreza - but maybe it's time to settle down to a more sensible, slower, calmer, cheaper form of motoring?

Is there anything you experts can tell me about what to buy, should I buy new at £15,000 or a year old at maybe £11,000? Which model should I go for? What options are worth having? What is considered the best colour? What are the faults to look for on a used model? What are servicing costs like?

Just anything you can tell me ..... thanks in anticipation!

Edited by MrRee

hello m8 and welcome to forum, the vRS can be made into a quicker fast reliable car( remaps etc ) i have owned three since 2004, and cant fault them, i have converted 2 people to the Skoda brand and they have never looked back. servicing is cheap compared to other VAG cars and reliabilty is spot on, theres not much to worry about buying a used car aslong as its got FSH and has been looked after.if you look in the For Sale section you will find my car at present up for sale and others aswell, i,m not just trying to plug the sale of my car but its a good place to buy a well looked after Skoda.

Edited by vRS No3

Thanks for the welcome :)

Is £15,000 good for a new vRS OTR?

Petrol or Diesel?

There is someone with almighty problems on their vRs posting - and the Dealer he is using looks useless :thumbdown:

Of course, this doesn't mean I would have big issues ... but my Subaru has been faultless - in truth I am terrified about jumping out of a great brand and regretting it - hence my posting here - looking for some reassurance.

Edited by MrRee

Is the price good? err, yes - thats the same as DrivetheDeal so you're unlikely to find cheaper

petrol or diesel? you've got to decide for yourself - they're both good engines but its horses for courses!

Afraid I cant comment on reliability as I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered but when I compare this forum to the mondeo one I'm also a member of, these guys seem to have a lot less problems. :thumbup:

Oh, and be careful asking about options on here - I ended up adding £1500 worth of options 'cos of this flippin site!

Edited by pad953

Welcome, and take one for a test drive. Second hand sounds like a good deal and any issues

should have been seen to.

vRS all the way for me, but I have had a few :)

I wouldn't worry about reliability. There are thousands and thousands of octys out there without any problems.

It's the nature of forums, you get people posting their problems and don't hear from people without. :thumbup:

If I could add my 2p worth.

I am a recent convert to Skoda, currently waiting for my Facelift vRS 2.0 CR TDI. The cars are absolutely fantastic value for money at the moment. As has been said, get along to a dealer and try and drive both the petrol and diesel vRS. I wanted diesel for the economy, but there is a little compromise over the petrol, but not much. They are well built, well kitted out in standard form and have masses of space in them. They are also a great drive, although not quite as sporty as the Subaru I would guess.

As far as new vs used. If you can afford new I would go that route. I think residuals are pretty good on new, particularly when you take into account the 20% discounts available on a new car, it makes the used cars seem very expensive.

Evening all ....

I know you have probably heard it all before, but, here goes ....

I own a Subaru Impreza Turbo, had it for 10 years since new.

Went to see the new Impreza WRX-S ... lovely car, but hatch boot too small (we have a big dog) - so, it looks like I will have to leave Subaru.

Looked at the Focus RS and the ST ... ok, but Ford.

Looked at the Mazda 3 MPS and the Astra VRX ... think I am too old for them.

Wandered into a Skoda Dealership to have a casual look at the Superb, wow - nice comfortable but a bit big for 2 adults and dog. Salesman suggested Octavia .... interesting, very interesting - I always thought they were saloons (they look like saloons) but then he opened up a MASSIVE boot space! Fantastic! But what about pace? He suggested the vRS and they are doing Special Offers on them at the moment so he says .... Skoda are paying the VAT or something?

He took me to a 2007 vRs which looked pretty good, in blue - 40,000 miles and £10,000 ... seemed good value?

The new OTR price of a vRS Hatchback is £15,248 - this is for the 200BHP petrol hatch on a 10 plate - before me haggling. Not sure if that is good or not really? Is there about to be a new model soon? Would the Diesel at a few £100 more be better?

Now, I know that I will be a bit disappointed at the performance - coming from an Impreza - but maybe it's time to settle down to a more sensible, slower, calmer, cheaper form of motoring?

Is there anything you experts can tell me about what to buy, should I buy new at £15,000 or a year old at maybe £11,000? Which model should I go for? What options are worth having? What is considered the best colour? What are the faults to look for on a used model? What are servicing costs like?

Just anything you can tell me ..... thanks in anticipation!

evening

i was in the same boat 3 years ago but i had a seat cupra R not WRX and was worried about swapping and having the same performance

i bought a VRS Turbo and can honestly say the perfromance is not an issue .....

like some one has already said you want to go and try one , for the size of car , nice family car, big boot and cracking performance you cant get better ....

can i ask where you have got the price from, fell out with the guy at drive the deal

Had vrs from new, 3 years 5 months replaced abs< dealer paid half> when out of warranty. Mines petrol race blue with remap if you can park ok i would just get zenons. When new you get warranty ,servicing and breakdown cover for 3 years. The dealer for stevies car you saw on forum is a ******. The price new is also good :smirk:

Go for a new oneemoticon-0148-yes.gif

Very good value at the moment, the VRS has the equivalent of the VAT off as a discount and you also get 0% credit deal. Then haggle with dealer for a further discountemoticon-0144-nod.gif

I've come from a 270hp Focus ST to a 170hp diesel VRS with DSG. I just was not using the performance of the ST as I get olderemoticon-0145-shake.gif

The ST handles slightly better and has a less harsh ride but the build quality is better on the VRS and it has more toys.

Make sure you order a spare wheel if you go new

For me I much prefer the styling of the new facelift model to the previous version.

Hi MrRee

I am curious, how old are you? I am 42 and am looking to change from a Subaru Legacy to a VRS. I have driven the pre-face lift petrol and diesel and preferred the petrol. But I must say it doesn't feel as well put together as the Subarus and doesn't handle like them. I have also tried the Focus ST and can't decide what to do. The ST has a wow factor and sounds great. Am I too old for an ST? Is it too much a boy racer car? The VRS seems like the correct choice form the head, but from the heart??

Hi MrRee

I am curious, how old are you? I am 42 and am looking to change from a Subaru Legacy to a VRS. I have driven the pre-face lift petrol and diesel and preferred the petrol. But I must say it doesn't feel as well put together as the Subarus and doesn't handle like them. I have also tried the Focus ST and can't decide what to do. The ST has a wow factor and sounds great. Am I too old for an ST? Is it too much a boy racer car? The VRS seems like the correct choice form the head, but from the heart??

A good question, and I would go for the 350 BMW, but would still have the vRS in the garage :)

Hi MrRee

At 42 you are definitely not too old for a ST. I got mine when I was 53.

It has more wow factor than the VRS and the engine sounds amazing.

If your heart is stronger than your head, buy oneemoticon-0148-yes.gif you will need to set up a direct debit to Shellemoticon-0120-doh.gif

At 42 you are definitely not too old for a ST. I got mine when I was 53.

It has more wow factor than the VRS and the engine sounds amazing.

If your heart is stronger than your head, buy oneemoticon-0148-yes.gif you will need to set up a direct debit to Shellemoticon-0120-doh.gif

What average/combined mpg did you get on the ST? My Legacy gets about 27mpg and I gather the petrol VRS will be about 35mpg with the ST somewhere in between (depending on how spirited you drive). Thanks

What average/combined mpg did you get on the ST? My Legacy gets about 27mpg and I gather the petrol VRS will be about 35mpg with the ST somewhere in between (depending on how spirited you drive). Thanks

ive just gone from 4 years driving 300bhp astra vxr's,ive opted for the vrs tdi,none of this crap 20mpg now more

as a massive WRX fan IMO you'll notice that save 0-60 that the Petrol will be quicker than the WRX even the diesel will be starting from higher up the mph, I know as I've played with one in my old PD version of my engine.

The handling I should imagine won't be as sweet as the WRX or sound as good as the boxer engine on song but you'll not regret it.

Have a drive of both and see what you think. Quality is excellent, reliability is also excellent. Take a look at the last 14 years worth of the famous JD Power Survey and you'll see that Skoda have not finished less than 5th !!

The Octavia was also named best small family car for the 3rd year in a row !!

Reliable cars, happy customers.

Either way you'll enjoy it.

Welcome BTW.

EDIT: Just checked the 30-70 through the gears time and the new CR Diesel is only 1 second slower. chuck a remap on it at not only will it do 50 to the gallon it will also be quicker than your wrx.

Edited by prolfe

Hi m8 i came from a scoob sti to a vrs last March,was sad to see the scoob go but i have not regreted going for a vrs..They are a pritty quick car was actually quite shocked when i first went for a test drive in one,overall if you don't just look at the speed factor and look at the car for it's practability it's a good buy for the money.Really the only niggle i had about the vrs when i first had it was the brakes could of been better,maybe that was just because i had come from a scoob just wasn't as sharp at stopping,but brakes are something that can be easily upgraded,apart from that i like driving it..Take one for a test drive is the best advice it will either be a :thumbdown: or a :thumbup: ... B)

Really the only niggle i had about the vrs when i first had it was the brakes could of been better,maybe that was just because i had come from a scoob just wasn't as sharp at stopping

I thought the vRS brakes were brilliant when I test drove it, however I was coming from a mondeo which have shocking brakes - few brown trouser moments with those! :giggle:

i was in the same boat 3 years ago but i had a seat cupra R not WRX and was worried about swapping and having the same performance

i bought a VRS Turbo and can honestly say the perfromance is not an issue .....

like some one has already said you want to go and try one , for the size of car , nice family car, big boot and cracking performance you cant get better ....

can i ask where you have got the price from, fell out with the guy at drive the deal

Wow, thanks for the replies!

I need to test drive one, obviously.

My major fear is buying one and regretting it - trying to live up to an Impreza will be a big ask.

I owned a Calibra 20 years ago - fantastic car, just wanted to get in and drive it - people would move over for you.

Bought a sensible Primera GT - 13 years ago and wish I hadn't - it did everything well, but I didn't just want to drive it for the hec of it - and people wouldn't move over for you.

Got a new Subaru Impreza Turbo 10 years ago - and have loved every single moment with it - it has not put a foot wrong .... and, of course, everyone moves out the way if an Impreza is up your rear end!

I am convinced about the value for money argument - but, I am scared I may do another 'Primera' ... great car, but doesn't stir the soul like an Impreza/Calibra? I suspect no-one moves over when a Skoda is in the rear view mirror? And therein lies my problem.

The sums add up in favour of a vRS - of that there is no doubt. I get 22mpg in the Scooby - £405 Road Tax for a new WRX-S - £21,500 Purchase Price (no discounts in the Impreza's) ... I guess servicing will be cheaper on the Octavia too?

But, and this is the question - does the vRS stir your soul? Do you look back at it with pleasure? Do you wish you had something that other road users move over for?

Edited by MrRee

I am convinced about the value for money argument - but, I am scared I may do another 'Primera' ... great car, but doesn't stir the soul like an Impreza/Calibra? I suspect no-one moves over when a Skoda is in the rear view mirror? And therein lies my problem.

I'm not sure how a tarted up Cavalier stirs the soul! I used to have one and it was absolutely awful. My Vrs will be streets ahead of it.

Why the obsession with cars moving out of your way? Just overtake them or drive at a sensible speed/distance.

When I first got it it was about 29mpg, using Shell V-Power upped it by 1mpg. Putting a Dreamscience remap on it(270hp) improved it by about another 1mpgso about 31 to 32. However nearly all my miles are steady speed motorway driving.

Running around town its down to 24 to 26

Hard running on a Sunday morning thrash its 17mpg and lapping the Nurburgring its down to 11mpgemoticon-0104-surprised.gif