Realistic motorway MPG of VRS

if i could also get cruise on vrs id be even happier :-)

You can retro-fit one. It should be somewhere south of £200.

How-To:

http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/cruise-control-retrofit/

Another thing to bear in mind is the Fabia as fixed servicing intervals of 10,000 miles. With your mileage you'll be having the car serviced 3-4 times a year. Something with longer or variable intervals may be worth investigating. Just my 2 pennies worth.

That'd be an Octavia, then - I think they have variable servicing intervals?

Hey,

I do quite a few miles in my vRS around 120miles a day so around 2400 miles a month! And i have found that my average mpg is around 58 which i am more than happy with! That is mostly M25 and M4 driving!

Also on the service side i can agree that the services and very close doing this kind of mileage! I got my vRS is November and it now needs a service and that was with it being serviced in November just before I purchased is!

So at this rate I will be having it serviced every 4 months :dull:

But it is worth it because it is a great little car :thumbup:

Dave

I've just driven from Derbyshire to Reading, pretty mcuh all motorway miles with a car full of stuff (relocation). I thought all the added weight would make me see poor mpg, but I got down here with the trip computer showing about 57-58 mpg. I took it steady doing about 70. Was actually quite suprised with the result! I've had as much as 65 mpg out of my standard vRS, but that is driving yourself to boredom. If you sit at between 60 and 70 you should get 50+ easily!

EDIT: some people have mentioned the servicing - just to point out if you have long life oil in then it will last 20k miles, and the oil is quite expensive on the vRS. You might need to look into that a little more, but that's what I was told! Hope that help's a little!

Edited by Bezzy

Low to Mid 60s mpg on motorway runs, when being sensible. :)

on one run from Skelmersdale to M6 jn28, i got 88.8. :rofl: (Due to roadworks & a really good smooth section of new tarmac)

I find the quality of the tarmac can have a huge (20% - 25%) effect on consumption

just done a run to the lakes 2 hours on the motorway brimed the tank and got 303 miles to 1/2 a tank but that was with haveing a play over the hills but around town i get 400miles near enough spot on and on a long run 600miles when ive been down south to see mates and i dont realy drive steady like to toe it from time to time (remaped by celtic tunning 178bhp 285 ft-lb) and thats with 148k on the clock :rofl::thumbup:

True, calculated tank MPG on a motorway run, sitting mainly at 80 (indicated) gives me somewhere between 48-50, depending on route and conditions. That's with cruise control enabled as much as is practicable.

Overall calculated MPG for me is around 46.

Suits me fine, for the everyday performance offered and the amount of progress made :thumbup:

Take one for an extended test drive before committing though, just to check you're compatible! It may be that an Octy TDi is more suitable, for the distances travelled and space/comfort etc offered.

Steve

Edited by Wardy

• 4 months later...

Ive had mid 70mpg sitting behind a lorry before, doing 55-60mph.

I was getting worried about the amount of fuel I seemed to be using, so I thought I'd give the whole "cruising along with the lorries" thing a go and this is the result (we all know the computer over reads, but this is still impressive!):

4771215654_bd76ae719d.jpg

This was a 50ish mile journey from Edinburgh to Glasgow in the middle of the day, so reasonably free-flowing traffic.

The low fuel consumption I otherwise get must have something to do with my driving style... :giggle:

I was getting worried about the amount of fuel I seemed to be using, so I thought I'd give the whole "cruising along with the lorries" thing a go and this is the result (we all know the computer over reads, but this is still impressive!):

4771215654_bd76ae719d.jpg

This was a 50ish mile journey from Edinburgh to Glasgow in the middle of the day, so reasonably free-flowing traffic.

The low fuel consumption I otherwise get must have something to do with my driving style... :giggle:

That's nothing. Doing the same thing on the 8 mile journey home at lunchtime my average consumption was 88.8mpg. I think it must be downhill though, since by the time I got back it had dropped to nearer 70mpg. But I still don't trust my trip computer...:D

I dont have cruise control but on a 120mile motorway run m25,m3,m27 I usually get anything between 52mp to 62mpg depending on how much right foot I use.

Mines chassis code ASZ and the computer is quite accurate from when I worked it out manually.

I ragged mine home tonight cos it was late and virtually no traffic about. Hard acceleration and about 110mph on the motorway, total journey time of about 20 mins. The average reading was 34mpg. I'm quite happy as I could only acheive that in my previous car by driving extremely slow.

Hi Guys,

Im looking to change from my current car a 3.0 Z4 due to the milage im doing - can be as high as 3000/month !

the z4 isnt too bad for 3.0 i get 32-33 on long run.

So basically I was wondering what i would realistically get out a VRS while on cruise control over a 200 motorway journey - ive no probs taling it easy at say 60-70 to get good mpg.

id ideally like a car thats guarenteed to get above 50mpg in those conditions...

Cheers for any advice and feedback.

IME: On the motorway you have to hit around 80 for the MPG to drop below 50. However, factor in cold starts and stop/start driving to get to the motorway and the average can be quite a bit lower. You'll do well to hit 50 mpg in winter time too. Combination of longer warm up times and lower "oomph" from winter diesel blends.

My best MPG on the "Average" MPG display (last 50 miles) was 61.9. Middle of summer, 25 degrees C, doing around 60mph around the M25 southern section. (It was a weekend....).

on one run from Skelmersdale to M6 jn28, i got 88.8. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif (Due to roadworks & a really good smooth section of new tarmac)

I find the quality of the tarmac can have a huge (20% - 25%) effect on consumption

Thats interesting about the condition of the road, never even thought about that before