PD problems

my octavia vrs tdi PD just had a new injector put in to the cost of €1100. mechanics say that it might happen to the other 3 too. they put it down to bad fuel but i have never put in cheap diesel unless you count tesco! (there was one owner before me)

knowing it might happen again doesn't inspire much confidence so was considering changing it. even though i cant really afford to.

what can i do to help the life of the other injectors if anything?

also is there other problems with the PD engine and would i be better just getting rid? i love the car but dont have the faith in it now.

cant speak for a skoda but i had volvo s60 d5s and this was a bit of a issue with injectors failing the problem wasnt as bad as some would suggest but it was there and the general opinion was if one goes then they will all go pretty soon,so it was advised to replace them all,as for prolonging the life i cant help,i was told that due to the great pressure modern diesel injectors run at then pretty much all injectors will fail imaterial of who made the car ,but some seem to fail a lot sooner than other s,

do a search on voc.com in the s60 sub forum ,or post a question, there will be somone to give you better advice than i can,

ps as for bad diesel cant say ive heard of that causing a problem,

i did hear once that putting a liter of veggie oil a month in the tank keeps the injectors clean and helps lube the various parts,dont know how true it is,but i ran my volvo 50/50 veggie and diesel and it ran a lot better and my injectors never failed

There is a lot data on the internet that suggests that modern (low sulphur) diesel lacks essential lubrication qualities needed for long injector life.

One solution is to add two stroke oil to diesel fuel. The best type is marine two stroke TC-W3 spec (low ash)

Edited by yoda01

There's lots of thing in life that "might happen"...

You might have a blow out on the nearside rear... would you then be concerned about driving in case it happens on the offside front instead?

You might be involved in an accident that's not your fault but it doesn't stop you driving your car...

I wouldn't change my car the first time it has a largish bill... If a second one goes, then I'd get the others checked out and would be looking for goodwill on a 3 year old car...

If I worried about what might happen I wouldn't go out :)

im affraid people r right 1100 quid for 1injector,,,, :wonder: simple robbery,volvo charge £1500 for 5 fitted ,

in resonse to the previous thread about low sulphur diesel causing premature failure in injectors there may be somthing in what u say ,but i still think the fact modern injectors run at 15000 psi and higher is the main cause ,think of a old isuzu or land rover diesel they go on and on ,and yet they use the same diesel as modern engines,

unfortunately i live in rip off ireland, recession or no recession. we dont have the choices ye might have in the uk. i didnt have much option in paying for it. dealer gave me no other options. i priced an injector in two other places. one quoted €561 plus vat and the other was €396 plus vat. i checked with the mechanic i usually use and he said a dealer would have to do it as they have to reprogram the other injectors with the new one or something like that.

its not really a case of what might happen. dealer put the failure down to a build up of bad fuel. if this is the case then all of them could be heading for the same failure. this was suggested to me by the mechanics in the dealers. its not really the same as i might have an accident or might get a blow out.

i am going to get onto skoda customer care and see if i have any come back.

Hi all

For people reading this I wish explain the term “bad fuel”.

Bad fuel is contaminated fuel, the contamination can be water, dirt, metal filings or acid

Metal filings can happen if a transfer pump fails and starts to break up

Acid is used to wash the die from agricultural fuel (red and green diesel) which is totally illegal

• 1 month later...

Just to add my bit. I also had one injector replaced 6 months ago and this was also around £1,000 fitted by a dealer.

My Vrs is currently in Exmouth (i am in Lincoln) when the other three injectors have now failed. Not happy. Need to pick it up Friday and a bill of £2,000 +.

This is a Vrs that has done mostly motorway miles and has done about 114,000 and is a 57 plate. It also had a new turbo at about 30,000

I have had thress Octavia's and this one is the only one i have had problems with. Just waiting for the boss to order my new FL Octavia Vrs.

Just to add my bit. I also had one injector replaced 6 months ago and this was also around £1,000 fitted by a dealer.

My Vrs is currently in Exmouth (i am in Lincoln) when the other three injectors have now failed. Not happy. Need to pick it up Friday and a bill of £2,000 +.

This is a Vrs that has done mostly motorway miles and has done about 114,000 and is a 57 plate. It also had a new turbo at about 30,000

I have had thress Octavia's and this one is the only one i have had problems with. Just waiting for the boss to order my new FL Octavia Vrs.

I hope to christ you aren't having to pick up this bill :(