1.2 TSI real MPG

Nake

I hesitate to disagree with you here Expatman because what you say sounds like sense. However, the last thing that springs to mind when driving my 1.2 at motorway speeds is that it feels over stressed. At the legal limit it is responsive and revving well below 3000 rpm. If Autocar only realise 32mpg then they have to send some of their drivers back to school. I subscribe to Autocar and have done for about twenty years. It is a fine magazine but they don't exactly drive with a light foot.

Do Skoda really only offer the 1.2 TSI because they couldn't get hold of the 1.4? I doubt it. The 1.2 TSI is offered in a wide variety of VW group cars whether the 1.4 is also available or not. The purpose of the 1.2TSI was to replace the normally aspirated 1.6. If it was just down to a lack of 1.4 TSI units then they could have used the 1.6 for twelve months. I appreciate that the 1.6 is not new tech but it was serving well in the Audi A3 until very recently. In fact, until it was replaced by the 1.2 TSI.

The waiting time for 1.4 TSi engined VAG cars is generally much longer than for the 1.2TSI - or any other variant for that matter. I am sure VAG are working to increase output of the 1.4 unit to meet demand but they obviously are having to ration current production and steer customers to the more widely available 1.2.

Anyone know why production of the 1.4 TSI is so much lower than the 1.2 variant?

Motorway driving in mine about 36-37 mpg at pretty much the legal limit. It looks to me that short journeys hit the fuel consumption and the biggest problem with the 1.2 engine is that it cries out at you to rev it and have some fun.

The waiting time for 1.4 TSi engined VAG cars is generally much longer than for the 1.2TSI - or any other variant for that matter. I am sure VAG are working to increase output of the 1.4 unit to meet demand but they obviously are having to ration current production and steer customers to the more widely available 1.2.

Anyone know why production of the 1.4 TSI is so much lower than the 1.2 variant?

I would put it down to the 1.4TSI engine being so widely available across so much of the VW group model range. The models affected also happen to be the best selling versions. In the UK and much of Europe, the 1.6FSI in petrol versions of the Golf were always the best selling (although I think that we sold more 1.4 (80ps) units in the UK). The 1.6 FSI was replaced initially by the 1.4 TSI and soon supplied ran out. If you consider the 1.2 TSI it tends to feature in the higher spec versions of the Polo / Fabia / Ibiza whose models do not sell in such high numbers. More recently, the 1.2 has been introduced to the entry level versions of the Golf / A3 / Yeti / Octavia and so supply may well become limited for the little engine soon. Well, it's just a thought anyway.

Edited by shrub

Hi!

I just finished my first tank, mainly on A roads and highways, speeds 50-65 mph. The best I achieved on a 20 mile drive was 45,5 mpg (according to the MFD), and average for the whole tank was 36.7. I guess this figure will improve over time. I have the DSG.

Edited by the_raz

Hi!

I just finished my first tank, mainly on A roads and highways, speeds 50-65 mph. The best I achieved on a 20 mile drive was 45,5 mpg (according to the MFD), and average for the whole tank was 36.7. I guess this figure will improve over time. I have the DSG.

I am monitoring the consumption with a webservice, and the info will be found here once I have been driving a bit more and gotten some more data. The page is in Finnish, and the consumption details shown i l/100km, but you'll probably get the idea.

It's interesting for me to read the comments about the 1.4TSI engine. I considered the Yeti for quite a while but in the end I chose a 1.4TSI Bluemotion Tiguan (2WD manual with stop-start). Over the first 2000 miles I've averaged 35mpg which is slightly better than my old 1.4TSI Touran which did 34mpg over the 19000 miles I had it. The Tiguan's MFD is much more accurate than the Touran's and is virtually spot on with the figures from the pump. The best average I've seen on a run was over a 100 miles of mixed motorway and A roads when there was about 30 miles of 50mph limit on the motorway (I set the cruise control) and that gave just over 40mpg.

I seem to get about 40mpg on most journeys which is typically a mixture of London urban and busy motorways and I am happy with that.

The 1.2 feels good on fast A roads and is impressive on motorways, it's no racer but it keeps up with the traffic and has the extra power for over-taking safely. Cruise control works well and complements the relaxed nature of the car.

Set a record for me in my 1.2TSI last night. Journey from central Birmingham to Redditch 14 miles (very quiet and lucky with the traffic lights) and I averaged 50.1mpg by the time I reached my driveway. Woohoo.

Set a record for me in my 1.2TSI last night. Journey from central Birmingham to Redditch 14 miles (very quiet and lucky with the traffic lights) and I averaged 50.1mpg by the time I reached my driveway. Woohoo.

Hi shrub good that you have got it over 50mpg. feeling very alone but now you have joined the club still not gone over 54mpg but will keep trying

Back from vacation trip in Greece, (lovely 10 days) here is my statistic:

I've passed 740 km with 60 litres of petrol, so overall fuel consumption was 8.1lkm or 35 mpg.

This trip includes two longer stages on motorways , 250 km each, generally in speed limit range (100-120 km/h) with few road races (140-160 km/h)

with average consumption according Maxidot 7.9 and 8.2 respectivelly,

and few short trips on A roads when i succeed to manage 6.5 lkm (43.5 mpg) .

Air-con was on near all the time of trip.

So my conclusion is that you can manage good mpg on when you are on speeds below 100-110 km/h,but over 130 km/h Yeti starts to drink.

I think that is a pretty good conclusion.Wind drag increases as a function of the square of the increase in speed, and you are dragging a farly boxy vehicle with a rather large frontal area through the air.

What has surprised me is that at German Autobahn speeds - typically 160 km/hr, I get a consumption of a little over 7 l/100 km - but Diesel, not Petrol.

my focus as always been stuck on 37-38 mpg or thereabouts....since i ordered my yeti ive been driving more consistantly ie: steady away...and have got it up to 41.2 mpg....cant wait to get the yeti'..light steady foot and i can see 50's possible :thumbup:

my focus as always been stuck on 37-38 mpg or thereabouts....since i ordered my yeti ive been driving more consistantly ie: steady away...and have got it up to 41.2 mpg....cant wait to get the yeti'..light steady foot and i can see 50's possible :thumbup:

I believe that 50's is possible now that I have done it myself but it will be a rare event Lee. I got it in the 80's once but that involved a short drive down through the Malvern Hills with next to no throttle required. Today I averaged about 34 mpg because I was driving around housing estates looking for our next house with air con blasting away. Overall I average c.42mpg which is pretty respectable for a chunky car with a perky little engine.

42 is good shrub, esp for a low mileage engine.....my focus has took 38,000 miles to start giving dealer quoted mpg...so if i can get an avg of 42 in the yeti from say 1000 miles, i will be happy...im still gonna try for a 50 avg :thumbup:

I got an average of 39.2 mpg today on a 450 mile run including 100 miles of highway cruising at 75 mph, the rest at 50 -65 mph - with the second tank of fuel!

• 2 weeks later...

following on from this...now i have my car, when id filled it to the brim yesterday...on driving around derbyshire for the day, the computer suggested a range of 560 miles....what range are people on now for theres that are run in etc.. :thumbup: ..because 560 miles for a new engine seems extremely good :rofl:

just to add, on working that range out, it equates to an average of 42.3mpg........and i had 5 adults in the car all day yesterday :p ..i wonder if the new 11 model has slightly better economy like the diesel model is supposed to have?

just to add, on working that range out, it equates to an average of 42.3mpg........and i had 5 adults in the car all day yesterday emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif ..i wonder if the new 11 model has slightly better economy like the diesel model is supposed to have?

Maybe, there are bound to be little tweaks here and there, but that is more or less the economy I average in my 10 model.

Well, it seems that our community of 1.2 tsi owners can be divided into 2 groups:

1 group - avg 42 and over

2 grpup - avg 35-40

So , has anybody some information's about 1.2 tsi engine versions, or maybe software update , which could be reason for difference in fuel consumption, or everything is result of driving style and 'leg weight' ?

drove to bridlington friday night 200 mile trip, mix of dual carriageway and bendy country roads....and i averaged 47 mpg....keeping to a steady 60 mph ish.. :yes:

Just filled up and calculated that the 1.2 manual is doing slightly more than 39mpg over the first 500 miles, this actual calculation more or less matching the on board computer's reckoning.

My new Yeti 1.2S has now done 500 miles and I'm getting ~ 50 mpg on a round trip of 80 miles a day on a mixture of A roads and motorway. I'm pleased with that. It's just a question of a light right foot.

• 1 month later...

Average on the last tank 7 l/100km which equals 40,4 MPG over a longer period (mostly ~7 mile runs in commuter traffic mixed with the occational city vist so not bad at all) . Any decent strip of higway cruising will see the MPG increase to over 44 MPG with the best I've seen well over 47!

Proof of range_

2010-09-09205741-1.jpg

(560 miles!)

Edited by the_raz

I'm still on my first tank but considering the Yeti is almost a big as our RAV4 I'm amazed at the fuel economy! I'm sure it is more economical than my MINI Cooper was; especially on short trips it manages over 25 mpg- the 2 mile school run. On a 15 mile run I was amazed when it went over 40 mpg - on a car this size. I'm convinced it's really got a 1.8 turbo by accident... :rofl: