1.2 TSI real MPG

Nake

Hi to all,

i've just passed 1200 km with my 1.2 TSI, so my average mpg until now is 8.1 l/km (~35 MPG).

I've follow manufacturer's suggestions for driving style during running in period (easy driving style with max 3500rpm once or twice) with 50:50 passed distance on urban and sub-urban driving.

Apart that i'm very satisfied with my vehicle , i'd like to hear from you , other owners of same model, which are your best results in fuel consumption ans is really possible to achieve manufaturer's declared values about fuel consumption ?

Thanks

I am really interested in this thread because your mileage (approx 35 mpg) is , as I suspected, much worse than the published figures. Clearly the size of the car coupled with the smaller hard working engine is having the inevitable effect of increasing fuel consumption in normal driving circumstances.

However, I am looking forward to other 1.2 TSI owners data on fuel consumption before deciding on the 1.2 TSI or a diesel.

I am really interested in this thread because your mileage (approx 35 mpg) is , as I suspected, much worse than the published figures. Clearly the size of the car coupled with the smaller hard working engine is having the inevitable effect of increasing fuel consumption in normal driving circumstances.

However, I am looking forward to other 1.2 TSI owners data on fuel consumption before deciding on the 1.2 TSI or a diesel.

hi i have just under 2000 m on the clock and it is showing 39 - 44 mpg all urban driving the lower is when i am stuck in a jam for 10 to 15 min the upper is on a normal run only 5 - 10 miles. hope to get some non urban long distance soon to get a better picture of the av mpg. im happy with this at only 2000m as it will improve more as it get towards 10000m .

wakev

hi i have just under 2000 m on the clock and it is showing 39 - 44 mpg all urban driving the lower is when i am stuck in a jam for 10 to 15 min the upper is on a normal run only 5 - 10 miles. hope to get some non urban long distance soon to get a better picture of the av mpg. im happy with this at only 2000m as it will improve more as it get towards 10000m .

wakev

That is impressive, be interested to hear how the mileage progresses as the car gets run in and you do some longer motorway journeys at high speed (legal - of course!) and more general motoring.

Hi ,

I am a keen observer of mpgs and am happy to report my figures.

My 1.2 TSi manual is 11 days old now and has covered 600 miles.

I am half way through my second tank of fuel and recorded the following.

Car Brimmed with fuel on the 11th.

Distance covered was 400miles

Trip computer displayed an average of 40,5mpg for the period.

Calculated average (after re-brimming) was 39.96mpg.

Driving was a mix of 210 miles of A road (A51 Crewe to Nuneaton) 42mph average coupled

with slower town work and general running around.

Best single trip Crewe to Nuneaton 45mpg

Best Single trip Nuneaton yo Crewe 46.2mpg

Both achieved with a fairly normal driving style with several harder acceleration periods

to 4500rpm to help running in as per the manual.

The motor is loosening up a little and I'm sure that when I actually try to max the mpg

I'll get near 50mpg I'm sure!

2000m??? thats less than 1 1/2 miles!!!!!! :rofl::rofl:

you know what i mean. (thats what happens when you reply late at night or early morning) :giggle:

wakev

• 3 months later...

Can someone tell me what is the average fuel consumption of Yeti 1.2? Yesterday i went on a little trip, and the fuel consumption on open road, with average speed of 120 km/h was somewhere around 10 l/km, and that is much more than the official numbers introduiced by Skoda? Can you post your opinions? Thanks.

On mainly urban commuting I have averaged just over 40mpg over 2.8k miles.

If I work late, so less traffic, I can average 48mpg over my 8 mile commute - pretty impressive (these are all computed figures).

I think if my commute were fast dual carriageway / motorway, the mpg would drop significantly - if this is your usual driving I'd go for the 110hp diesel.

I completed nearly 500 miles over the weekend including a lot of higher speed driving with the air con swiched on. I have averaged 42-43 mpg.

From my last two fills I calculated the mpg to be 42.1 and 41.3. The trip computer recorded 42.8 and 42.7 respectively. So, the 1.2 Yeti is pretty economical and the trip computer is reasonably accurate. This morning I have been to Stratford on Avon and again averaged over 42 mpg with the air con active for most of the journey there and back. It is also worth mentioning that I noticed a small improvement in fuel consumption after the first 1500 miles.

The best I have got with mine is an indicated 40.5 mpg on my 22 mile commute to work. It is regularly showing 37 mpg on this run which is a mix of motorway, a roads and suburban city traffic and similar on a longish motorway run with cruise control set to 70 as indicated by my satnav, although this did drop by 1 mpg with the climate control on. My average reading for a tankful is about 34 mpg, it seems short trips take it out of the fuel consumption the most as does my occasionally heavy right foot. My car is getting close to 4000 miles on the clock now.

The mpg of the 1.2 is very sensitive to throttle opening (yes, I know how obvious that sounds) and cruise control will often overthrottle to compensate for hills etc. If you want to reduce the fuel consumption of your 1.2 I would turn off the cruise and expect to save maybe 10%.

The mpg of the 1.2 is very sensitive to throttle opening (yes, I know how obvious that sounds) and cruise control will often overthrottle to compensate for hills etc. If you want to reduce the fuel consumption of your 1.2 I would turn off the cruise and expect to save maybe 10%.

I find the exact opposite. With cruise control turned on, at say 70mph, the engine never labours, on hills it changes down gear when needed, and I get my best fuel consumption when on cruise control. Add if you have to slow down to say 30mph, then when the traffic clears just click cruise control on and the Yeti accelerates back up to 70mph through the gears in the most economical way.

Edited by tarbat

I find the exact opposite. With cruise control turned on, at say 70mph, the engine never labours, on hills it changes down gear when needed, and I get my best fuel consumption when on cruise control. Add if you have to slow down to say 30mph, then when the traffic clears just click cruise control on and the Yeti accelerates back up to 70mph through the gears in the most economical way.

Then Skoda have produced an excellent system. Good to hear.

My old octy DSG was the same :thumbup:

I average about 39 to 42 mpg in my 1.2 DSG short trips country roads normal driving. 1500 miles on clock. Get about 44 on motorway gentle driving, or 38 if I go over 70mph.

Its generally accepted that on the motorway or long stretches of pretty flat road the cruise improves mpg.

I find it stops me speeding as well!

On hilly stretches of road general advice is to avoid using cruise .

more info on

http://www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk/fuel-economy-long-journeys.html

The best I have got with mine is an indicated 40.5 mpg on my 22 mile commute to work. It is regularly showing 37 mpg on this run which is a mix of motorway, a roads and suburban city traffic and similar on a longish motorway run with cruise control set to 70 as indicated by my satnav, although this did drop by 1 mpg with the climate control on. My average reading for a tankful is about 34 mpg, it seems short trips take it out of the fuel consumption the most as does my occasionally heavy right foot. My car is getting close to 4000 miles on the clock now.

I have now covered nearly 5,000 miles and overall average is 41.6mpg.

Best was 47.1 actual (48.0 on maxidot) and worst 36.7mpg during weekend trip in Yorkshire with hills and delays due to caravan traffic.

Fuel consumption improved after about 1,800 miles. Motorways seem to take average down and I tend to keep around 65 now to save fuel.

Very pleased with my Yeti, climate control and cruise do not seem to affect the fuel consumpion too much (less than 1 mpg I would say)

My last car was a 1.6fsi Golf mk5. The Yeti fuel consumpion is better on short and urban journeys but not so good on the motorways. Overall I reckon I am around 2.5 mpg lower in the Yeti than the Golf with comparable journeys. Not bad considering the kerb weight and aerodynamic differences between the two cars and the Yeti is so much more enjoyable to drive. The 1.2tsi engine is in a different league to the 1.6fsi in the Golf and so much more flexible in everyday use.

Del

Back from vacation trip in Greece, (lovely 10 days) here is my statistic:

I've passed 740 km with 60 litres of petrol, so overall fuel consumption was 8.1lkm or 35 mpg.

This trip includes two longer stages on motorways , 250 km each, generally in speed limit range (100-120 km/h) with few road races (140-160 km/h)

with average consumption according Maxidot 7.9 and 8.2 respectivelly,

and few short trips on A roads when i succeed to manage 6.5 lkm (43.5 mpg) .

Air-con was on near all the time of trip.

So my conclusion is that you can manage good mpg on when you are on speeds below 100-110 km/h,but over 130 km/h Yeti starts to drink.

I've just reached 1500 km with my 1.2 Manual Gear.

my route was composed of 50% of motorways (about 100 km/h) and 50% of urban routes.

My MPG is about 40.

I pay always particular attention to fuel consumption following the VW guide http://www.vwgolfcommunity.com/vbulletin/consigli_da_vw_per_consumare_meno_carburante-t13554.html (sorry, in italian).

Edited by tajima

Back from vacation trip in Greece, (lovely 10 days) here is my statistic:

I've passed 740 km with 60 litres of petrol, so overall fuel consumption was 8.1lkm or 35 mpg.

This trip includes two longer stages on motorways , 250 km each, generally in speed limit range (100-120 km/h) with few road races (140-160 km/h)

with average consumption according Maxidot 7.9 and 8.2 respectivelly,

and few short trips on A roads when i succeed to manage 6.5 lkm (43.5 mpg) .

Air-con was on near all the time of trip.

So my conclusion is that you can manage good mpg on when you are on speeds below 100-110 km/h,but over 130 km/h Yeti starts to drink.

It has been well reported in the motoring press that the 1.2 drinks petrol at motorway speeds (70-80mph). Autocar reckons in their log term test that you are lucky to get 32 mpg on the motorway and although the 1.2 can be economical at modest speeds on B roads any spirited driving results in high fuel consumption from a quiet but stressed engine. AND why should we be surprised? It is a 1.2 litre engine driving a heavy, slab fronted softroader; more to the point I wonder what the longevity of the 1.2 engine will be after 50-60,000 miles? It seems clear that the only reason there is a 1.2 in the Yeti is because Skoda couldn't get hold of the 1.4 TSI (120 BHP) form the VAG group at the launch, the 1.4 would seem a more realistic starting point and I would like to see some real world consumption figures (not the stupid quoted figures) for a 1.4 compared with the 1.2 - I bet in real world motoring it is more economical. But like all softroaders a good diesel (2.0 TDI CR) with its intrinsic massive torque must be the engine of choice.

It has been well reported in the motoring press that the 1.2 drinks petrol at motorway speeds (70-80mph). Autocar reckons in their log term test that you are lucky to get 32 mpg on the motorway and although the 1.2 can be economical at modest speeds on B roads any spirited driving results in high fuel consumption from a quiet but stressed engine. AND why should we be surprised? It is a 1.2 litre engine driving a heavy, slab fronted softroader; more to the point I wonder what the longevity of the 1.2 engine will be after 50-60,000 miles? It seems clear that the only reason there is a 1.2 in the Yeti is because Skoda couldn't get hold of the 1.4 TSI (120 BHP) form the VAG group at the launch, the 1.4 would seem a more realistic starting point and I would like to see some real world consumption figures (not the stupid quoted figures) for a 1.4 compared with the 1.2 - I bet in real world motoring it is more economical. But like all softroaders a good diesel (2.0 TDI CR) with its intrinsic massive torque must be the engine of choice.

I hesitate to disagree with you here Expatman because what you say sounds like sense. However, the last thing that springs to mind when driving my 1.2 at motorway speeds is that it feels over stressed. At the legal limit it is responsive and revving well below 3000 rpm. If Autocar only realise 32mpg then they have to send some of their drivers back to school. I subscribe to Autocar and have done for about twenty years. It is a fine magazine but they don't exactly drive with a light foot.

Do Skoda really only offer the 1.2 TSI because they couldn't get hold of the 1.4? I doubt it. The 1.2 TSI is offered in a wide variety of VW group cars whether the 1.4 is also available or not. The purpose of the 1.2TSI was to replace the normally aspirated 1.6. If it was just down to a lack of 1.4 TSI units then they could have used the 1.6 for twelve months. I appreciate that the 1.6 is not new tech but it was serving well in the Audi A3 until very recently. In fact, until it was replaced by the 1.2 TSI.

On our recent trip down the M74/M6 a few weeks ago, on cruise control at an indicated 122kph (approx 70mph real speed), we averaged 38.2mpg indicated. One of the most economical cars we've had for motorway driving.

Edited by tarbat