1.2 TSI real MPG

Nake

Well not a Yeti or the TSI 105 but I got an indicated 46.8 out of my wife's new Fabia 1.2 TSI (85) driving cross country around the Yorkshire Wolds and Howardian Hills yesterday, including the Staxton hill climb :giggle: and it's only done 193 miles so far :)

Very impressive engine indeed and unfortunately still not had chance to try it out in a Yeti :(

TP

• 2 weeks later...

Well not a Yeti or the TSI 105 but I got an indicated 46.8 out of my wife's new Fabia 1.2 TSI (85) driving cross country around the Yorkshire Wolds and Howardian Hills yesterday, including the Staxton hill climb :giggle: and it's only done 193 miles so far :)

Very impressive engine indeed and unfortunately still not had chance to try it out in a Yeti :(

TP

Well - there we go, TP!! I knew you were good, but to swap an engine from the wife's Furby into PAT-Monster - leaves me speechless... ... ... ... ...icon10.gificon8.gif

• 4 months later...

Can you 1.2 owners tell me how many miles you are getting to a full tank of fuel? At present, I'm only getting around 375. Have no idea what that equates to in MPG! Until the cold weather I was getting 400 max to a tank...

Can you 1.2 owners tell me how many miles you are getting to a full tank of fuel? At present, I'm only getting around 375. Have no idea what that equates to in MPG! Until the cold weather I was getting 400 max to a tank...

Divide the number of miles from the last fill-up by the number of litres of fuel bought, then multiply that result by 4.54. Result M P G!!

Thanks for that although I don't have my petrol receipts. Would still be interested in how many miles others get to a full tank...

400, if we don't run it right out. That's with the range still showing 10 or so.

We always run it down, then fill it right up.

edit: but it takes about 7 or 8 weeks to use a tankful due to not doing many miles.

Edited by CT17

400, if we don't run it right out. That's with the range still showing 10 or so.

We always run it down, then fill it right up.

edit: but it takes about 7 or 8 weeks to use a tankful due to not doing many miles.

Thanks...That's what I was getting before the cold weather so perhaps that's about normal then...Just seems pretty low mileage per tank to me...

First week with a S/H 1.2 Yeti with 10000 miles on the clock. Round trip to South Wales from the West Midlands driving at around 60-63 mph on motorway recorded an overall mpg of 49.5.

Have done 350 miles in this first week and the mpg is showing 45. These are very similar figures that I got from my 1.4 16v Fabia so well pleased.

Tony

For what its worth (not a lot) my 1.2 DSG at under 900 miles is giving 38 mpg fill to fill with distance compensated for smaller winter tyre size.

Includes short local trips, crossing the Mendips twice (hilly, narrow roads), and a very limited amount of motorway use.

Implies around 450 miles per tank with a small reserve.

Motorway range at 60 mph about 500 miles. Only a 55L tank on a 1.2 TSI

For what its worth (not a lot) my 1.2 DSG at under 900 miles is giving 38 mpg fill to fill with distance compensated for smaller winter tyre size.

Includes short local trips, crossing the Mendips twice (hilly, narrow roads), and a very limited amount of motorway use.

Implies around 450 miles per tank with a small reserve.

Motorway range at 60 mph about 500 miles. Only a 55L tank on a 1.2 TSI

I have a manual rather than DSG which I would have thought would be more economical yet I'm getting 375 to a tank?? Most of my trips are local but I don't thrash it. I am beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with my little yeti :(

manual here, always got 3-5 adults on board and i reg see well into 500+ best 575!!!....and i have been known to give it some welly :thumbup:

No way! I only ever have me on-board, sometimes the dog...I do have roof bars fitted - would that make a difference?

I have a manual rather than DSG which I would have thought would be more economical yet I'm getting 375 to a tank?? Most of my trips are local but I don't thrash it. I am beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with my little yeti :(

If I understand it correctly you haven´t measured fuel consumption between tank stops, have you? Perhaps there is something wrong with the sensor measuring the fuel flow to the engine thus causing the Maxi Dot giving wrong values? 375 mi range equals about 31 mpg which is a very low figure for that car. :o

My Yeti has the DSG gearbox. I normally get around 43-44 mpg average driving, mostly urban driving though. Best figure so far is close to 48 mpg on a 400 km trip back from the Swedish Mountains (only urban driving) with 3 people aboard, full packing and spiked winter tyres. It seems to me that it would be “difficult†to get below 35 mpg with my yeti, even with quite aggressive driving, but I haven’t tested that.

Regarding manual vs. DSG gearbox I think that in reality, for the average driver, the DSG consumes less fuel. You can probably get lower fuel consumption with the manual but then you have to be focused on that all the time while driving. The DSG will do that “automatically†for you. I have noticed that the DSG is very quick in changing up to a higher gear while accelerating and also stays in high gear long while slowing down. The rev counter seldom goes above 2000 rpm. But since maximum torque starts already at 1500 rpm the acceleration is still quite adequate. This depends of course on the driving pattern. The DSG will adapt to the way the car is driven and might not necessarily always behave in this way.

/Stephan

at fo

If I understand it correctly you haven´t measured fuel consumption between tank stops, have you? Perhaps there is something wrong with the sensor measuring the fuel flow to the engine thus causing the Maxi Dot giving wrong values? 375 mi range equals about 31 mpg which is a very low figure for that car. :o

[/quote

What do you mean by measuring bewteen tank stops? Do you mean checking the maxidot average MPG after a journey?

I do have roof bars fitted - would that make a difference?

Not enought to notice. AutoExpress did a test of all these fuel consumption myths with the same base car:

http://www.autoexpre...ythbusters.html

The result:

30.5mpg – Astra’s baseline fuel economy

30.4mpg - Two front windows a third open

30.3mpg - Roof bars and laden roofbox

30.2mpg - Two front windows totally open

29.7mpg - Four tyres down to 20psi

28.0mpg - Air-conditioning on

27.2mpg - Three large adult males in the back seat

24.1mpg - Roof bars and laden roofbox, plus three adults in the rear, a bike carrier with two adult bikes and air-con

What do you mean by measuring bewteen tank stops? Do you mean checking the maxidot average MPG after a journey?

No, I mean filling it up to full tank at the petrol station and writing down the figure on the milage meter (alternatively resetting the trip counter to zero). Then, the next time you tank your car you again fill it up to full tank once more and note how many gallons that got in to the tank. Then you check the milage meter (or your trip meater) and calculate the numer of miles you have driven between these two tank stops. Divide that figure with the amount of petrol that got in to the tank at the second tank stop and than you have the "real" fuel consumtion (assuming there´s nothing wrong with your milage meter of course) :yes:

/Stephan

Most of my trips are local but I don't thrash it. I am beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with my little yeti emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

What's 'local' - in distance I mean? You'll see a markedly lower MPG is your average journey is say 2-3 miles from cold rather than 20-30 miles or more.

There are many things wrong with the official ways in which MPG data are calculated, but chief amongst them is that no account is taken of distance travelled. If it was, then I can well imagine that something like a Prius would come out streets ahead for relatively short journeys.

What's 'local' - in distance I mean? You'll see a markedly lower MPG is your average journey is say 2-3 miles from cold rather than 20-30 miles or more.

There are many things wrong with the official ways in which MPG data are calculated, but chief amongst them is that no account is taken of distance travelled. If it was, then I can well imagine that something like a Prius would come out streets ahead for relatively short journeys.

Hmmm. A lot of my trips are pretty short...Anything from 3 miles to 15 miles I'd say...

Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing to find out how many miles I get to a tank...

So I therefore repeat my question. Do all pumps cut off at the same point? if not, then the amount you put in every time will be different, unless you use the same pump, very time.

Mike

So I therefore repeat my question. Do all pumps cut off at the same point? if not, then the amount you put in every time will be different, unless you use the same pump, very time.

Mike

Valid point Mike. I have no idea I'm afraid...

Mike

Can't comment on something unique to the Yeti, but when I 'brim' the tank it's by having fuel sitting level in the neck of the filler rather than waiting for the pump to click and leaving it there. No doubt it winds up people behind me who probably wonder if I have a 30 gallon tank!