1.2 TSI real MPG

Nake

When filing up I fill until I can see the fuel in the tank. That way you know it's at the same level as splashback etc.. can lead to incorrect figures otherwise.

I guess it depends how anal you are about seeing what you get to the gallon.

Since I got the Fabia Greenline II I've suddenly become a lot more precise about it, as Ive gone from getting 28mpg in the old car to 67mpg in the new one. :D

Roughly the cutout will be the same from one nozzle to another but it is also affected by many external matters, from temperature to pressure, so no you could never be totally sure it was the same. TBH it isn't going to matter that much as you are probably only talking of a few cl's.

When I do my averaging I round up or down to the nearest complete litre anyway!!

Edited by Llanigraham

So I therefore repeat my question. Do all pumps cut off at the same point? if not, then the amount you put in every time will be different, unless you use the same pump, very time.

Mike

Yes, it will be different every time. The question is, how much different?

The fuelling point on the car is connected with the tank by a rather narrow pipe. If we assume that the inside diameter of this pipe is 6 cm. Calculations yields than that this pipe has an inside volume of 0.28 litres/10cm length. The pump will cut off basically when the fuel level hits the tip of the nozzle. But the nozzle length may vary a little bit from one pump model to another and nozzle sensitivity may also vary. I think it´s safe to assume that the difference in level in the pipe after filling the tank will be within +/- 10 cm though. That means a maximum difference of approx. 0.5 litres. Lets then assume that you have driven long enough between the two tank stops so you will use 40 litres to fill up the tank. Then the maximum error due to this would be 0.5/40=1.25%. However, if you for some reason only have driven a shorter distance between the tank stops so you only use 5 litres to fill up the tank, then the error will be 0.5/5=10%. I.e. in order to get as accurate result as possible from this perspective, you should drive as far as possible between fuelling up.

Then on top of this we also have the inaccuracy of the odometer. I have no idea of what the basic inaccuracy of that would be (some one that knows?). Also tyre pressure, tyre wear and surface conditions may add to the inaccuracy of the mpg calculations.

/Stephan

Lets be quite honest here, unless you totally empty the tank, then fill with accurately measured fuel to an exact known point, then drive for a set distance measuered with a calibrated distance recorder, then refill with exactly the same measure to the same point, taking into account ambient temperature and pressure, you are NEVER going to get a totally accurate figure.

However, by accepting the pump figure when it cuts up, rounded up or down if wanted, and dividing that into the trip distance will give an ADEQUATE figure for most people.

However, by accepting the pump figure when it cuts up, rounded up or down if wanted, and dividing that into the trip distance will give an ADEQUATE figure for most people.

+1

• 8 months later...

I'm also getting around 36-39mpg but a lot of my motoring involves short trips and very mixed mostly stop start driving. As one would expect on a long run the figures are much better and I'm very satisfied considering everything.

I'm also getting around 36-39mpg but a lot of my motoring involves short trips and very mixed mostly stop start driving. As one would expect on a long run the figures are much better and I'm very satisfied considering everything.

I have had my 1.2 DSG SM for 5 months now and am averaging 44MPG. This is mainly based on a 40 mile round trip to work 5 days a week which is a mixture of urban/extra urban driving.

My average over the last 3000 miles has been 44.7mpg logging the results using fuelly. Best tank gave 48mpg. interestingly the Maxidot long term average gives almost exactly the same figure. These figures are with use of Tesco momentum fuel which claims to give better mpg. In my case this would seem to be correct as Maxidot average on standard Tesco fuel over the previous 10,000 miles was around 41.5mpg. It would seem the extra 5 pence per litre is well worth it .

My average over the last 3000 miles has been 44.7mpg logging the results using fuelly. Best tank gave 48mpg. interestingly the Maxidot long term average gives almost exactly the same figure. These figures are with use of Tesco momentum fuel which claims to give better mpg. In my case this would seem to be correct as Maxidot average on standard Tesco fuel over the previous 10,000 miles was around 41.5mpg. It would seem the extra 5 pence per litre is well worth it .

+1 the Maxidot is accurate and similar to my pump calculations.

Can go above 50 mpg when driven carefully at 65 mph on motorway and can go down to 33 mpg when driven more quickly against head wind.

+1 the Maxidot is accurate and similar to my pump calculations.

Same here, 0.1mpg optimistic over three full tanks in the Yeti.

Funny how my Fabia is about 7mpg optimistic! (10%)

• 4 months later...

As a non-Yeti owner I thought I'd add to this thread!

I'm currently driving a 2011 (61) 1.2 TSI 2WD Yeti Elegance courtesy car with 4,000 miles on it.

I had one last year too but only for a day so wasn't able to take it on my daily commute to test the fuel consumption.

Picked this one up over the weekend and was able to drive it the 140 mile round trip to work yesterday.

I have to say I was a little disappointed with the economy. I'm only going off Maxidot but I guess I'd hoped for more than the 41MPG best I managed.

This was at a steady 60-70mph which covers approx 90% of my commute. Light traffic with very few stops/starts aside from an occasional T junction.

It seemed to hover around 34-36MPG with the RPM just under 2,500.

Maybe the areodynamics and the raised ride height count against the Yeti? I'd be interested to try a 1.2 TSI Octavia to see if it fares much better.

The car had 60 miles left on the range when I picked it up, I stuck £30 of petrol in and that got me to work, home and back in this morning with the range showing 55 miles.

That's £0.143 / mile.

I think I'll be sticking with my diesel Octavia vRS for now. Even with the higher fuel cost it's still a good few pence/mile cheaper.

Aside from that though I like the Yeti alot. The Elegance spec is brill, leather, xenon's, bluetooth, folding mirrors, touch screen radio, heated seats, DRL's, cornering fogs.

The suspension is perfect, absorbs bumps really well yet there is very little body roll, it felt quite sporty around some high speed country lane bends!

Those cornering fog lights are worth their weight in gold. Being a little higher up in the Yeti they illuminate the high sided hedge rows near home very well giving me valuable reaction time to avoid the suicidal wildlife.

It also reminds me how far modern cars have come, even compared to my 2008 Scout and 2007 vRS it's so easy to drive smoothly, gear changes, setting off, crawling along on tick over, all the jerks are absorbed. This to me is important and I will miss the Yeti when it goes back.

I just wish they were cheaper on the used market and the boot was a little bigger, then I might sell the vRS, steal back the wife's Scout and get her a petrol Yeti!

It also reminds me how far modern cars have come, even compared to my 2008 Scout and 2007 vRS it's so easy to drive smoothly, gear changes, setting off, crawling along on tick over, all the jerks are absorbed. This to me is important and I will miss the Yeti when it goes back.

I just wish they were cheaper on the used market and the boot was a little bigger, then I might sell the vRS, steal back the wife's Scout and get her a petrol Yeti!

Great review Silver! Balanced and well thought out. One of my (very few) gripes with the Yeti is the miniscule bootlet. Yes, you pack differently and pack vertically but even so, no, can do better in this regards with Yeti 2 thanks Škoda. :giggle:

1.2TSi Manual - 30,000 miles

Very best from one tank was 51.8mpg (real, not from in-car display, filled up at same pump on same forecourt from start to finish).

To get this was like some kind of Top Gear challenge! I changed up gear just before the dashboard indicator every time (unless there was a hill looming), judged traffic lights like some kind of computer geek and had to read the road ahead for about 2 miles for the slightest source of delay. It was achieved on mixed roads from single track country to town driving.

Interesting thing is this though - I did the challenge identically twice except for:

1. On the first occasion going down hill I stayed in gear as normal.
  2. The second time I dipped the clutch on descents (where safe - don't tell my Advanced driving instructor!).

Now, car expert nowadays (such as Quinten Wilson et. al.) say it uses less fuel to stay in gear on a modern car (as the fuel pump is cut off when coasting) but I found I got 1.9mpg more by dipping the clutch. I can only imagine that by doing so allows the car to roll more freely and thus travel further instead of being inhibited or held-back by the gearbox.

Anyway, I'm bored of this game now and will next see how low an mpg I can get. That will be a true Top Gear challenge!

Apologies to the drivers of Nairnshire that got held up behind me last week (but just think of the fuel I saved you!).

Edited by Abominable
  • Like 1

One of my (very few) gripes with the Yeti is the miniscule bootlet. Yes, you pack differently and pack vertically but even so, no, can do better in this regards with Yeti 2 thanks Škoda. :giggle:

Oh come on Johann!

SWMBO's case plus a bag of shoes, my small bag, plus 2 cases of wine, a case of beer, 2 bags of other shopping, plus my tool box and there was still plenty of room last weekend.. :whew::giggle::blush:

I have the DSG model, just under 5,000 miles on the clock, and on a daily round trip of 22 miles to work and back, I have been averaging 45.1mpg on the maxidot, so would assume that is around a good true 42 mpg. Compare this with the 28 mpg I was getting from the Renault Garnd Scenic I had and I am well pleased :rofl: ..........especially when petrol on the Island appears to be around 10p per litre dearer than the UK prices I see on the TV!

I have the DSG model, just under 5,000 miles on the clock, and on a daily round trip of 22 miles to work and back, I have been averaging 45.1mpg on the maxidot, so would assume that is around a good true 42 mpg. Compare this with the 28 mpg I was getting from the Renault Grand Scenic I had and I am well pleased :rofl: ..........especially when petrol on the Island appears to be around 10p per litre dearer than the UK prices I see on the TV!

Oh come on Johann!

SWMBO's case plus a bag of shoes, my small bag, plus 2 cases of wine, a case of beer, 2 bags of other shopping, plus my tool box and there was still plenty of room last weekend.. :whew::giggle::blush:

:giggle: But compared to an Octavia's boot the Yeti's is a bootlet!!!

• Like 1

Here are my figures (1.2 DSG, about 5000km):

Average, mixed drive : 10,5 l/100km (27 mpg)

Lowest ever: (country speedway, about 90km/h, cruise control): 9l/100km (31mpg)

Driving in town and around: 14l/100km (20 mpg)

Yes, these figures are frightening. But I've seen many similar ones on French forums, I'm not alone.

No, I don't put the Yeti to its limits; I drive in a very cool and soft manner, in D setting.

Yes I did ask the garage (the main official one, of the national importer); they tested it, and told me that this is normal.

I tried Euro95 and euro98 fuels, no impact.

My associate, who had a BMX X5 is making fun of me because his consumption is nearly half of mine...

I suspect two causes : too small motor, too much downsized, not efficient; and DSG strange behaviour, changing gears much too soon (I'm usually in 6 or 7th gear at 50 km/h), so the engine never reaches its optimum torque.

I'm overall happy with my Yeti, but I didn't expect such a high fuel appetite...

Here are my figures (1.2 DSG, about 5000km):

Average, mixed drive : 10,5 l/100km (27 mpg)

Lowest ever: (country speedway, about 90km/h, cruise control): 9l/100km (31mpg)

Driving in town and around: 14l/100km (20 mpg)

Yes, these figures are frightening. But I've seen many similar ones on French forums, I'm not alone.

No, I don't put the Yeti to its limits; I drive in a very cool and soft manner, in D setting.

Yes I did ask the garage (the main official one, of the national importer); they tested it, and told me that this is normal.

I tried Euro95 and euro98 fuels, no impact.

My associate, who had a BMX X5 is making fun of me because his consumption is nearly half of mine...

I suspect two causes : too small motor, too much downsized, not efficient; and DSG strange behaviour, changing gears much too soon (I'm usually in 6 or 7th gear at 50 km/h), so the engine never reaches its optimum torque.

I'm overall happy with my Yeti, but I didn't expect such a high fuel appetite...

It really depends on how you drive, but the figures look way too low.

In fact even when I was pushing my car in the Pennines (nice fast country road - up hill in the North of England), it still returned about 40 mpg.

The lowest I have ever done on a Motorway was on the M1 after a hurricane when I hit headwinds all the way from Durham to London, and since I was in a bit of a hurry, I did use the accelerator very enthusiastically, and that returns 33 -35 mpg.

On congested London roads, where average speed is 10 mph, I still managed about 30 mpg.

The highest was above 50 mpg when I was cruising at around 65 mph on the motorway.

Edited by My_Yeti

:giggle: But compared to an Octavia's boot the Yeti's is a bootlet!!!

agreed, that's the one part of the car I struggle with , last week when I picked up my son from my parents I was struggling with all the bags and the scooter given I already had a bag of my own in there. With the Octavia I just never even thought about whether I had enough room.

Having managed for 7 years with Freelanders, I suppose we've got used to it. And yes the Yeti boot is slightly bigger! We also travel very light generally.

The Octavia is a car I looked at, but it is just that......A CAR(Estate). It doesn't do the same things as a Yeti and wouldn't suit our life style. Ergo, the Yeti was for us.