Flickr

Loz

I have Flickr, but I never really 'use' it. I upload some pics now and then, which is nice, but I don't know many people on there and feel it is a little pointless! I upload ones on facebook which get seen, but thats not really the right place for it.

So, do you have flickr? If so do you want to be my fwend? smiley-wub.png

My linky: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreamzscape/

Might give me a reason to upload photos if there's someone there to view and feedback :)

Had a look at your photos, very nice work ,makes mine look terrible emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif, i will add you to mine if thats ok.

Cool, added you back :)

It's a bit weird really isn't it, because you can be friends with someone who isn't friends with you and not even know. I'm not that ace at knowing how it works, not done much with it like I said :S

i have flickr! prettysure i added u befor though but to anyone else on here add me! follow the link in my sig!

and Loz you should definatly upload i always check out my contacts pictures n give feedback!

there are ways you can get more attention on flickr.

* firstly you can tag the images when you upload them so that widens your potential audience and makes them easier to find in searches on there or google etc i usually tag what the subject is for example if its a car, make & model the location i took the pictures, what sort of image it is: digital, film, black and white, colour, film type, camera type. what type of photography: motorsport, portraiture, fine art, automotive, abstract, night photography, landscapes, wildlife etc. maybe techniques: panning, rigshots, studio artificial lighting prettymuch anything important you can think of which somebody could search for and your picture would relate to! although try not to tag too much.... il explain in a minute.

* next you need contacts! people who when they sign will see your new uploads on thier homepage! if you find a picture on flickr you like, comment it! in the top left on the pictures theres a star with 'add to favs' click it, they will appreciate it and may do it back! (these appear on your profile so people can look throu what sort of pictures u favouritise) if thier photostream interested you add them as a contact. if anyone gives you comments, do it back. everyone appreciates it and it will encourage them to do it more often also if anyone adds you , do it back! the more people you add, the more will see when you upload, it doesnt matter if thier complete strangers its all about appreciating each others work and getting it seen, its one mahoosive comunity so you can always get chatting!

*now you can join groups, you think of somthing and there is a group for it on flickr. today i found one for car air filters! why anyone would be interested in that i have no idea :rofl:

but search for groups you may be interested in. you can then add your suitible pictures to thier 'pool' which is like a massive album people looking at the group can view. the groups also have discussions similar to forums so you can find contacts there. there is also comment discussions where you add one of your pictures and comment the 3 above etc which means when 3 others after you post, they will comment your image.

it takes a little while but put the effort in and people will do the same. i spend quite alot of time on there everyday because im sad :giggle: browsing peoples pictures and commenting and people do so in return.

theres also this thing on flickr called 'explore' its this system which picks, i think the most "interesting" 400 photos every day. this is usually based on howmany views, favs, comments an image gets but over tagging and adding to groups aparently lowers your chances of getting a photograph 'explored'. clicking the explore button is also aa good way of finding interesting pictures, commenting and finding other people to add.

hope this helps :thumbup:;) keep at it, it gets quite addictive :rofl:

I have around 4500 photos on Flickr and get between 50 and 500 photo views per day. The reason I have my photos there is not so much so they can be viewed but so the ones I like or need to link to others places can be safely stored away from home. The photos are available to me from any Internet connected PC in the world and if we have a fire or a total hard drive crash or a thief I won't have all of my nearly 400GB of photos but I will have a representative selection including things like scanned copies of pictures from way back well before the digital age when Morris Minors were the car to own.

Edit:

BTW there are at several Skoda based Groups on Flickr. I belong to Skoda Cars and Skoda RS but there are others.

Edited by K1W1

I've had a full photobucket account for ages now. What advantages does Flickr have over PB then.... I know someone said the interface is less clunky than PB but to be honest i fly through the PB interface no probs.

If there are enough good reasons to "defect" to Flickr later this year when my subscription is up for renewal i'll give Flickr a try.

Cheers

Dave.

I've had a full photobucket account for ages now. What advantages does Flickr have over PB then....

I'll start by saying that I have never had a Photobucket account so I'm viewing this as an outsider who views Photobucket hosted images on forums and who knows people who have had Photobucket accounts.

Photobucket seems to delete user accounts after a short period of inactivity (3 months?). Forums world wide are littered with "Photo unavailable" Photobucket links.

Photo bucket seems to be difficult or at least more difficult than other sites to use and to link to. I see way more people on forums posting about having difficulty with links on Photobucket than any other photo hosting site.

Photobucket seems to have a strict and arbitrary censorship policy that defies logic and current standards. I have seen perfectly ordinary shots of females in bikinis (no nudity, no breasts) that have subsequently been marked as restricted by photobucket for apparently no reason.

In short from my experience as a forum user and Moderator Photobucket is the most unreliable and difficult to maintain photo hosting site that is around.

Shall add you all :)

Thanks for the tips Ben, I have no idea what to do on there! lol!

I have never had a problem with photobucket, I have found it to be most reliable! lol! It only fails to post a pic if it has been deleted. I have two accounts and neither have ever been removed for inactivity....

I only use it for hosting pics though, not sharing. Flickr is a nicer 'album' style site I think.

Edited by Loz

I'll start by saying that I have never had a Photobucket account so I'm viewing this as an outsider who views Photobucket hosted images on forums and who knows people who have had Photobucket accounts.

Photobucket seems to delete user accounts after a short period of inactivity (3 months?). Forums world wide are littered with "Photo unavailable" Photobucket links.

Photo bucket seems to be difficult or at least more difficult than other sites to use and to link to. I see way more people on forums posting about having difficulty with links on Photobucket than any other photo hosting site.

Photobucket seems to have a strict and arbitrary censorship policy that defies logic and current standards. I have seen perfectly ordinary shots of females in bikinis (no nudity, no breasts) that have subsequently been marked as restricted by photobucket for apparently no reason.

In short from my experience as a forum user and Moderator Photobucket is the most unreliable and difficult to maintain photo hosting site that is around.

Hmmm not had any issues with inactivity.... I've gone as long as 6 or 7 months inactivity without anything being deleted. Possibly an issue with free accounts but as i posted above i have a full payed account. Also never had any problems linking to my pics..... You just click the 'img' link for the pic and paste into the forum post etc.... To be honest someone who finds it difficult to click on a box of text with the term 'img' next to it when wanting to put the img info into a forum might have some problems. :giggle:

But anyway i'll ask again..... What are the plus points for Flickr and what makes it so good??? I don't need to know what you think about PB alone as i've been a happy PB user/customer for a few years i just wanted to know more about the flickr experience. ;)

Cheers

Dave.

I suspect most of the issues with PB are the free accounts but I think you are the first person I have come across who has a paid account so I guess the user experience is different for paid members.

As far as pluses of Flickr as I'm not and never have been a PB member I don't know but if PB is doing what you want then why change. Flickr does what I want as a photo hosting and sharing site so I have no intention of changing that. I would however move to a different site if I ever decided to sell images. Flickr does not have that facility and I doubt ever will. For selling images I'd probably go Zenfolio as first choice and Smugmug as second.

But anyway i'll ask again..... What are the plus points for Flickr and what makes it so good???

well im affraid i havnt been a PB member but i always presumed it was just a hosting website?

flickr in some ways can be abit more community based if you treat it that way. i see it more like Loz said, an 'album style' website people use to host thier photography work and members being able to browse each others stuff and give feedback etc. thiers groups you can join for specific subjects, within those theres discussions like forums. you can add people as contacts so when they upload stuff in pops up in a section on your homepage. thiers blogs and this system called 'explore' which gathers the 400 most "interesting" images of the day which usually consists of some pretty amazing images.

if your an aspiring photographer wanting to make your work visible to the world, browse that of friends and others for inspiration, ideas, feedback etc then choose flickr. if your just after a host site for uploading the odd picture to a forum then photobucket. either way both have free accounts so its your choice. both do the same thing at the end of the day and flickr is very easy to use once you get the hang of it i just believe flickr has more to offer if thats what your after.

see my other post at the top theres a little more about it up there. and no i dont work for flickr :rofl:

ohyeah and everyone go here!! :giggle: : http://www.flickr.com/photos/i-am-mclovin/

Edited by benh199

well im affraid i havnt been a PB member but i always presumed it was just a hosting website?

flickr in some ways can be abit more community based if you treat it that way. i see it more like Loz said, an 'album style' website people use to host thier photography work and members being able to browse each others stuff and give feedback etc. thiers groups you can join for specific subjects, within those theres discussions like forums. you can add people as contacts so when they upload stuff in pops up in a section on your homepage. thiers blogs and this system called 'explore' which gathers the 400 most "interesting" images of the day which usually consists of some pretty amazing images.

if your an aspiring photographer wanting to make your work visible to the world, browse that of friends and others for inspiration, ideas, feedback etc then choose flickr. if your just after a host site for uploading the odd picture to a forum then photobucket. either way both have free accounts so its your choice. both do the same thing at the end of the day and flickr is very easy to use once you get the hang of it i just believe flickr has more to offer if thats what your after.

see my other post at the top theres a little more about it up there. and no i dont work for flickr :rofl:

ohyeah and everyone go here!! :giggle: : http://www.flickr.com/photos/i-am-mclovin/

Now you see that's what i was after.... I didn't know that flickr was more than just a hosting site etc..... What you describe is sounding good with the ability to join groups etc.... and check out what your friends or fellow group members have been doing with their cameras.

I think i might have a look at Flickr then..... Out of interest how much is Flickr per year for a full account???

Cheers

Dave.