Boot Wont Open

Hi Folks,

First post here so bear with me. I’ve got a Skoda Octavia 05 1.4 5 Door. I little while ago the boot started marking a noise when I used the key fob to open it. The noise (best described as struggling high pitch whining) just got progressively worse over time and then recently its refused to open. If been advised that its probably the ‘boot alternator’.

Would anyone know where the best place to buy this part is, and how easy is it to fit? I’ve never replaced anything in a car before. I know how to add oil and top up the window washer but that about it. I’m pretty good with my hands and I fancy that I’ll be able to fix it with the right directions.

Could any kind soul help me out here?

Thanks

Admiral

Do you mean trying to open it with the key in the boot lock, when all the other doors are locked?

As far as i'm aware on a Mk1 Octavia you can only either:

open the boot by pressing the release handle if the whole car is unlocked

or if the car is locked you can unlock the boot lock with the key then press the release to open it.

If your locking mechanism is broken and the boot won't open at all you might be able to pull off the plastic trim panel from inside the car to get to the lock and then remove it and replace it

I'm pretty sure there's a small access panel in the lower boot trim (the thin black plastic bit that runs along the inner lower edge of the boot opening), that allows you to access the orange lock clasp, and release it using a small lever on it's side.

Presumably so the midgets you kidnap can escape from the boot.

I've never tried it, but I have spotted it on my car and assumed that's what it's for. Have a go by clambering into the boot space via folding down the rear seats.

I wonder if this varies between the hatch and the estate, as I am pretty sure there is no way to open the boot from the inside on my estate. Might go and check later, so if I don't report back it may well be that I am trapped in the back :o

I don't need to look to know there's no access to the lock mechanism through the door trim on the estate; it's a one-piece plastic moulding.

On my Estate, 1999 Model Mk 1 you can open the tailgate from inside. There is a little lever you can push.

I've done it a few times when my exterior boot handle stuck in so could not open it from the outside.

On my Estate, 1999 Model Mk 1 you can open the tailgate from inside. There is a little lever you can push.

I've done it a few times when my exterior boot handle stuck in so could not open it from the outside.

Maybe they changed something when they did the "facelift" then?

Just to clarify... I'm not sure If I've given the correct model details of my Octavia. its the 2005 model (think this is classed as the second generation) I've attached a pic to explain...13_Skoda_Octavia_1.jpg

Actually that looks like a saloon, mine is a 5 door hatch.

There doesn't seem to be a key slot on the boot to open it with the key, nor can I find a boot release in or around the drivers seat. I'm sure I can pop the boot by climbing in the back, but I don't know where to go from here.....

Admiralg

Edited by admiralg

Aye, looks like a mk2 to me, so in the wrong forum! However on my mk1 I am sure there is no internal release for the boot (estate flavour).

If you can pop open the boot from the inside, then I would start by removing the trim panels and having a look. You might need to remove the lock mechanism too, but I have never taken either a mk1 or mk2 boot apart....

Moved from MKI Octavia section, merged with new thread in the MKII section and non relevant posts deleted.

I'm not too well up on the MKII, though from experience on the MKI, there is an orange lever which can be accessed to open it from the inside and the lock motors can lock solid. Lock motors for the MKI were around £15 and the worst part of the job in reolacing them was the removal and refitting of the trim panel.

Just to clarify... I'm not sure If I've given the correct model details of my Octavia. its the 2005 model (think this is classed as the second generation) I've attached a pic to explain...13_Skoda_Octavia_1.jpg

Actually that looks like a saloon, mine is a 5 door hatch.

There doesn't seem to be a key slot on the boot to open it with the key, nor can I find a boot release in or around the drivers seat. I'm sure I can pop the boot by climbing in the back, but I don't know where to go from here.....

Admiralg

Why is that car on a helipad?

Pretty sure there is a section in the handbook r.e. manual release of boot.

I've had to do it on my estate, drop the rear seats, climb into boot access release latce via hinged panel. Suggest you take a torch...

I think you need to get the boot open and try and see what the problem is - as you'll see from the thread I linked to above, all I had to do was spray some WD40 into the catch and wiggle it a round a bit to loosen it up. More than a month on and I've had no further problems with the boot opening.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Right, I've had a good look at this. I popped the boot using the release from the inside. Sprayed a bit of WD40 and tried again and this had no effect. So I removed the plastic cover from where the motor is.

It looks to my untrained eye the the motor pushes out to the right and then hits the release and this pops the boot (see image attached).

So, can someone confirm that what I have surmised is correct and if so, what is the name of the part I need?

Skoda boot release motor

Thanks guys.

Admiralg

That looks about right - I had it before on a Mark I octy where the piston part of the actuator started to bind with the casing. On the Octy I the boot latch was mechanical and there was a keyhole, so I just took the actuator out and used the key. In the Octy II I'd try opening the actuator (It should pop apart if it's like the one in the Octy I and greasing the internals with silicone grease (Don't use lithium grease as it may eat the plastic parts away). Then reconnect to the car and see if it works. If not replace the actuator.

Another possibility (Mentioned in a thread on boot opening a month or two back IIRC) is that there's another sensor that stops the actuator from working unless the boot is closed. This might be at fault too.

I think VAG call that part a "pawl" , at least the metal bit.

I can see the part number pressed into the metal in your photo: 1z9 827 511 c.

I suspect you will find another part number on the white plastic part (motor) if it separates. If not then ask your dealer to look up 1z9 827 511 c ?