225/40/18 or 245/40/18

Is anyone currently running 245/40/18 tyres on their Mk2 Octavia ?

I've got 225/40/18 on my 18 x 8 Pro Race 1.2s, but Audi recommend 245/40/18 on the 18 x 8 Audi Calitos

Does anyone know any reason why the 225s can't go on the Audis ?

Hi Bryan

The 245/40 have a much bigger circumfence as the 225/40. The Calito is a wheel for the Audi A6 and this cars rolls on a bit bigger circumfence as the Golf V plattform modells.

If a 225/50 18 would probably fit on the A6.

Grts

Mike

Edited by magic62

You want to use 225s on them. They're only 8Js. Skoda B14s came with 225s and they're 8J. The 245 recommendation is for when they're used on the A6.

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Mike - quick question - why would a 245 be a bigger circumference to the 225 ? Surely only the tyre width is different ?

Or am I being a complete numpty ?

There is a relationship between the height of the sidewall and the amount of stretch. The narrower the tyre on any given rim, the more pulled out diagonally the bead is relative to the edge of the tread.

tyre_rim_terminology-1.jpg

Try and visualise what would happen with extremes of tyre width.

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Mike - quick question - why would a 245 be a bigger circumference to the 225 ? Surely only the tyre width is different ?

Or am I being a complete numpty ?

The profile number /40 is 40% of the width so on a 225 its 90mm while on a 245 its 98mm. (distance from the wheel rim to the outside of the tyre)

So the 245 has a bigger diameter and so greater circumference

IIRC a 205/55 x 16 a 225/45 x 17 a 225/40 x 18 all have virtually the same diameter/circumference

The problem with the 225's is that its a bit of a stretch on 8's/ It also depends on the manufacturer.

Really disagree about that.

I have 225s on 8Js. It's an approved combo by the tyre manufacturers (Falken approve their 225s from 7J to 8.5J) and with both my Michelins and Vredesteins, the rim protector easily protects the rim.

Edited by wega3k
  • Like 1

235x40x18's would be a good fit Bry.

That then would put my speedo/mileometer out of kilter

The 225/40 Ultrac Sessantas seem OK on the Pro Races, and there's still a fair bit of trad left, so I'll probably just have them transferred across to the Audis.

On another note, I'll have to keep the Audi badges on, as they are a different diameter to the Skoda's, so all I'll need then will be a part with a Seat logo and I'll have the full VAG set :giggle:

Nobody wants a Seat logo on their car Bry. :no: You'd be better off with something Lambo, Bentley or Bugatti. B):thumbup:

It was a joke Nick - I'll stick with Skoda, VW and Audi :thumbup:

That then would put my speedo/mileometer out of kilter

The 225/40 Ultrac Sessantas seem OK on the Pro Races, and there's still a fair bit of trad left, so I'll probably just have them transferred across to the Audis.

On another note, I'll have to keep the Audi badges on, as they are a different diameter to the Skoda's, so all I'll need then will be a part with a Seat logo and I'll have the full VAG set emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Hi Bryan

other question has already been solved emoticon-0105-wink.gif .

But you could put 215/40 18 on, this would give you a bit shorter gearing but at the downside the comfort will be worse. As the sidewalls will be even smaller.

As for the VAG set, you still forgot some badges. Bentley, Lamborghini are also part of the group emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Cheers

Mike

245s will rub the front suspension, I had 235s on a 18x8 with no problem. The 235/40 tyre will introduce a small speedo error, I prefered the 225s though.

• 3 years later...

My father has a 60-plate VW Eos with 18" wheels with factory fitted 235/40/18 Continental tyres. The Eos is the same platform as the Octavia right? Will his alloys be the same width as ours?

Just in case you're not aware, this is a three year old topic.

I asked a similar question recently as my Octavia had 235/45R17 tyres (I have the stock 17in alloys) fitted by the previous owner whereas tyre sites said it was a 225/45/R17 size that was the normal one. Someone mentioned that some of the equivalent VW's also used the 235 width, I decided just to change to the 225 tyre when I replaced them as there didn't seem any particular advantage to the wider tyre.

John

• Like 1