Roof Bars

haggettd

Don't know as I don't think anyone has actually removed them and left them off. 2 members have swapped black and silver ones though.

Yes that was myself & aerofurb.

If you want to remove them permanently there would be some filler required as there are 2 threaded bolt holes on each corner, plus some mount points.

It's a 5 mins job to remove the roof rails - just unclip the plastic covers, undo the bolts and lift them away. Then you will see what you are left with.

It looks like this:

outtg9.jpg

Yes that was myself & aerofurb.

If you want to remove them permanently there would be some filler required as there are 2 threaded bolt holes on each corner, plus some mount points.

It's a 5 mins job to remove the roof rails - just unclip the plastic covers, undo the bolts and lift them away. Then you will see what you are left with.

It looks like this:

outtg9.jpg

That looks nice!

Does anyone have a panoramic roof with roof bars fitted also? Interested to know how they go together.

I do I have no problems.

• Like 1

Internet picture.

200912130001.jpg

There's no roof racks on that? Have since seen a picture earlier in the thread though showing sunroof and roof racks and it looks fine. Thanks to those who responded.

No problems. I wanted to get the low profile Thule ones but the roof would hit the underside and the clamps of the roofbox while opening. Went for the Skoda ones instead. Very satisfied except for the fact that you can position them freely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that there are only 2 fitting locations for each of the bars has me wondering how one fits a roof box box which has pre-drilled locating holes which don't coincide with the bar positions. I don't have that problem with my Fapa Alto roofbox and the Atera Signo bars I bought for my Octavia II, both of which are unsuitable for my Yeti.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to buy a roof box for my 2014 yeti, so I checked out some roof bars. The Skoda standard ones looked good but I consider them far too expensive. Wispbars seem the best but you need a mortgage to buy them. Any way, just bought a set of used Skoda bars on ebay, awaiting delivery.

Then I found this thread and became concerned. It seems there are more fixing holes on the roof rails pictured than exist on my face lift car?

There are 3 at each side on the rear mounting position, two each side on mine.

Are there any other changes to the rails I wonder?

Will the 2010 bars fit my 2014 Yeti?

And most of the roof boxes I have seen seem to fix down with U bolts. Did not want that as I thought that they fixed down with the T slot system nowadays?

If anyone has information on this I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,

John.

I wanted to buy a roof box for my 2014 yeti, so I checked out some roof bars. The Skoda standard ones looked good but I consider them far too expensive. Wispbars seem the best but you need a mortgage to buy them. Any way, just bought a set of used Skoda bars on ebay, awaiting delivery.

Then I found this thread and became concerned. It seems there are more fixing holes on the roof rails pictured than exist on my face lift car?

There are 3 at each side on the rear mounting position, two each side on mine.

Are there any other changes to the rails I wonder?

Will the 2010 bars fit my 2014 Yeti?

And most of the roof boxes I have seen seem to fix down with U bolts. Did not want that as I thought that they fixed down with the T slot system nowadays?

If anyone has information on this I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,

John.

They will totally fine. The reason the pre-FL had 3 on each side at the back was to give you two positions at the back to fit the bars. You will just have one position and that is not a problem - especially when you fit the bar to the wrong rear position and then find your roof box points are in fact set to the other position. So roof box down, take off the bar, move it, refit box. So you're better off just having the one position at the back.

Those bars have similar fixings to my Atera Signos which are unsuitable for the Yeti because they can't accommodate the depth of the roof rails.

We have tried the Skoda bars, Thule steel bars and have settled on using the Thule Probars. They have a load rating in line with the Yeti (100kg), are 135cm wide and have slots for the T-bolts on the top of the bars and on the back of the bars.

We went for these so we can get the maximum roof bar width to attach to and be able to fit 4 bikes on the roof. (135cm is within the legal limit). They are more solid than the other bars available and will accept the regular Thule foot kits.

Worth considering. We picked ours up on Fleabay for about £60 (new).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the OE Skoda/Thule cross bars on my Yeti and they're very easy to install and remove, certainly easier than Subaru/Mont Blanc and Land Rover Disco3 or 4 factory rails.

I did think the Yeti bars were very high, as they sit well above the roof rails, but then I'd forgotten that I have the pano sunroof, and I suppose you need the clearance.

When we went skiing, I just tied the skis direct to the cross bars for a few km, as there's plenty of room for the big chunky bindings. I wouldn't recommend that for the motorway though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've just taken delivery of a set of Farad roof bars from NP Autoparts. £68 brand including overnight Parcelforce delivery. They are a bit of a faff to set up (but still took under an hour) although now set up can be fitted in minutes.

Fit is good with the clamps large enough for the chunky Yeti roof rails. They can also be placed wherever needed along the roof rail. The quality isn't quite as good as Thule or Skoda but perfectly adequate; they are certainly fine for occasional use (which is all we need).

If you want roof bars for permanent or regular fitting you may be better off with paying a little more, but these bars are excellent value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had Amazon special £45 ones on for 2 months now.

They've seen a roofbox, plywood and 6x4 strapped to them so far and have had no issues at all, other than the fact that the silver stands out against the metallic brown paintwork.

Don't know what they'll be like in 6 months time, but so far they've held up pretty well!