Upgrading to Columbus Sat Nav from Bolero touch screen – Help Me!

Hi I need help installing a Columbus (RNS510 MFD3) sat nav into my brand new VRS Octavia. :)

The car came with a Bolero touch screen unit (as I didn’t want to spend £1600 on the factory upgrade). I bought myself a second hand Skoda Columbus unit and fitted it in (it is a genuine unit, I guess off a Superb as is stand on Elegance).

The unit powers up okay and navigates fine. My issues however are:

1) The new unit isn’t as wide as the old; I tried the Skoda dealer for the correct dash trim, but they cannot find it. They say it is a factory option only, therefore they haven’t spare parts. They asked for a chassis number of 10 plated VRS (as they have a sliver aluminium look trim), WITH factory fitted sat nav. From that they might be able to see the part number needed, and could maybe order it in for me.

2) The unit isn’t talking to the Maxidot. The Bolero would display track names etc. on the Maxidot, and I hoped this would give me the routing information there (i.e. next left), but cannot work out how to get them talking to each other (only tried the setup of Maxidot from the steering wheel controls).

3) My multifunction steering wheel doesn’t talk to the Columbus. I can change the volume from the steering wheel only. Before I could change tracks and press the phone button for mute; these no longer work.

I have had a long, long discussion with my ‘local’ (I haven’t a dealer nearby) dealer and they say they cannot help me. They offered to take it in and have a look, but couldn’t promise anything as they have no manuals and when they spoke to Skoda Tech Team they said “should have bought the factory optionâ€. So it will cost a lot of money and I will probably be no better off.

My question, at last --- Has anyone successfully changed from a Bolero to Columbus and got the dash fitted correctly (is there a piece of trim which fits around the unit to make it wider?); got the multifunction steering wheel talking properly and got the routing information up on their Maxidot? If so, I could really do with some idiot help. :S

May I suggest you contact Ben at Shark Performance (one of the site sponsors so you can get his details from his banner or on the sponsors page). I know hes done a few of these and his repuation on this kind of thing is excellent. Give him a ring i'm sure he can help and will be a lot cheaper than a dealer :thumbup:

Edited to add a web link: http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/

Edited by octimark

Your dealer is useless. You can order the correct trim. I got one for mine as I am doing exactly the same retrofit (when my car eventually arrives!) The trim was @£12, it had to be ordered and took 3 days to arrive. I havent got the part number in my office with me but they have been posted on here before I think.

You will need the car and the RNS recoding with VAG-COM. I wouldnt bother asking the dealer as the equipment they use is isnt very user friendly for this sort of thing, hence not many can acheieve what you want. Find a member on here (unless you have it already?) who can do it for you.

My question, at last --- Has anyone successfully changed from a Bolero to Columbus and got the dash fitted correctly (is there a piece of trim which fits around the unit to make it wider?); got the multifunction steering wheel talking properly and got the routing information up on their Maxidot? If so, I could really do with some idiot help. :S

Brimma has also had that done by Ben (shark_90) that Mark recommends above.

If you get in touch now you may be eligible for the Bank Holiday discounts that he's offering! ;) You could combine it with a 'mystery drive' if SWMBO asks where you're taking her!

Thanks for the responses. :thumbup:

The dashboard trim; is that all one piece? Would be great if you have the part number so I can get that ordered. ;)

I have tried a couple of dealers and they are all as bad as each other. It took calls to three different dealers before someone could answer me as to whether there should be sidelights or just the LED daylight running on dipped beam when you turn the lights round one click. I figured there should be ‘eyebrow’ lights too since there appears to be bulbs above the xenons.

The surround is just one piece but can't help with a part number. Phone Rainworths as they'll mail order one to you!

The DRLs dim when used as sidelights and the blue bulbs in the headlight unit are totally disabled in the vRS.

My logic in asking whether the dash trim for the Columbus was in two pieces being to address the discrepancy in height. The original unit (Bolero) has a ‘cover’ over it.

This covers the screws and is the nice looking bit you see with its name written on it. The Columbus is just one piece, so sits a bit further into the dash. If the trim I took off fitted, it still wouldn’t look right as the unit isn’t flush. It would be like putting your hand through a hole to get to the sat nav. I am guessing that the piece of trim I need (the one you ordered) must slope (lead) into the unit; or I must pack out the Columbus so it sits proud of where it is currently.

The 'nice looking bit with the name on it' is the HU. The trim does not have any lettering on it. When you phone the dealer ask them to make sure that the part you have quoted has the brushed finish as the first mk2s had a shiny finish. No doubt the part that Raglits has quoted should be the correct one but I can't remember if the LE had a brushed finish or not!

if your mfd3 sticks out too far then the quadlock might be getting stuck at the back. Space is quite tight there.

Hi I need help installing a Columbus (RNS510 MFD3) sat nav into my brand new VRS Octavia. :)

The car came with a Bolero touch screen unit (as I didn’t want to spend £1600 on the factory upgrade). I bought myself a second hand Skoda Columbus unit and fitted it in (it is a genuine unit, I guess off a Superb as is stand on Elegance).

The unit powers up okay and navigates fine. My issues however are:

1) The new unit isn’t as wide as the old; I tried the Skoda dealer for the correct dash trim, but they cannot find it. They say it is a factory option only, therefore they haven’t spare parts. They asked for a chassis number of 10 plated VRS (as they have a sliver aluminium look trim), WITH factory fitted sat nav. From that they might be able to see the part number needed, and could maybe order it in for me.

2) The unit isn’t talking to the Maxidot. The Bolero would display track names etc. on the Maxidot, and I hoped this would give me the routing information there (i.e. next left), but cannot work out how to get them talking to each other (only tried the setup of Maxidot from the steering wheel controls).

3) My multifunction steering wheel doesn’t talk to the Columbus. I can change the volume from the steering wheel only. Before I could change tracks and press the phone button for mute; these no longer work.

I have had a long, long discussion with my ‘local’ (I haven’t a dealer nearby) dealer and they say they cannot help me. They offered to take it in and have a look, but couldn’t promise anything as they have no manuals and when they spoke to Skoda Tech Team they said “should have bought the factory optionâ€. So it will cost a lot of money and I will probably be no better off.

I'm looking at doing this when i finally get my FL vrs, what Columbus unit did you get 1Z0?

Also does anyone know what the difference is between the A,B,C at the end ?

I am making headway now! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Got the dealer to match the part numbers up to the other parts on my car and they confirmed the part I needed is 1Z0 858 069 DK DF1. As the last digits say what finish it has and the other parts in my car are the DF1 code (a satin silver with black horizontal lines).

The height issue is the other way round. The trim is further out than the HU.

Not cheap at £36, but at least it will look like the factory job. They also think that they can now get the multifunction steering wheel and Maxidot linked up...

BTW – I didn’t order multifunction buttons on the wheel, nor the Maxidot. I assume that they came because I ordered another DSG VRS. Do they come as standard on the DSG now? My last VRS didn’t have either option.

I am making headway now! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Got the dealer to match the part numbers up to the other parts on my car and they confirmed the part I needed is 1Z0 858 069 DK DF1. As the last digits say what finish it has and the other parts in my car are the DF1 code (a satin silver with black horizontal lines).

The height issue is the other way round. The trim is further out than the HU.

Not cheap at £36, but at least it will look like the factory job. They also think that they can now get the multifunction steering wheel and Maxidot linked up...

BTW – I didn’t order multifunction buttons on the wheel, nor the Maxidot. I assume that they came because I ordered another DSG VRS. Do they come as standard on the DSG now? My last VRS didn’t have either option.

Anyway you could take a picture of your trim as I can't think what they mean by satin silver with blakc horicontal lines?

I guess trim #DF1 is the same as the car you have on order as my car was only built at the start of March (ordered it in Nov 09).

I am guessing that 1ZO is new as that’s what on the Bolero unit I have taken out. The Columbus I have put in is 10 months old (according to the manufacture date), it is showing 3TO.

Will upgrade the firmware and put on some decent POIs as the standard ones aren’t that great.

From the sticky in the Octavia II Forum...

Dash trim for MFD2/3 for VRS LE and FL Octavia with New style Climatronic. - 1Z0 858 069 BK 2AU

Might be worth being tentative with that part number, as it might be for a pre-facelift model, bearing in mind the climatronic controls are different on the facelift model

Might be worth being tentative with that part number, as it might be for a pre-facelift model, bearing in mind the climatronic controls are different on the facelift model

looks like FL dash trim is 1Z0 858 069 DK DF1

and pre FL is 1Z0 858 069 BK 2AU

Silver Columbus dash trim for Octavia II vRS with New style Climatronic:

Octavia II vRS Limited Edition

1Z0 858 069 BK 2AU - flat/matt silver finish

Octavia II vRS Facelift

1Z0 858 069 DK DF1 - light tonal brushed finish

I guess trim #DF1 is the same as the car you have on order as my car was only built at the start of March (ordered it in Nov 09).

I am guessing that 1ZO is new as that’s what on the Bolero unit I have taken out. The Columbus I have put in is 10 months old (according to the manufacture date), it is showing 3TO.

Will upgrade the firmware and put on some decent POIs as the standard ones aren’t that great.

Does the Maxidot and steering wheel controls work ok???Cheers

They will do, but am going to update firmware and maps first. Will then get Maxidot and multifunction wheel working with the unit. No point at the moment as the connectivity will be lost with the updates.

I think from reading forums the 3TO is the one used in the FL octavia and the superb now. I,ve just brought a 3TO 035 680 A manufacture date 14/12/2009. HW05 SW2684 and its been loaded with 6.1 maps.

Anyone fancy trying it out in their skoda if you live in the south not had my vrs delivered yet and itching to test the unit. big ask i know!

4500997334_6776c8e29d.jpg

4500361315_81e1d68a91.jpg

Edited by ollybroad

I think from reading forums the 3TO is the one used in the FL octavia and the superb now. I,ve just brought a 3TO 035 680 A manufacture date 14/12/2009. HW05 SW2684 and its been loaded with 6.1 maps.

Anyone fancy trying it out in their skoda if you live in the south not had my vrs delivered yet and itching to test the unit. big ask i know!

4500997334_6776c8e29d.jpg

4500361315_81e1d68a91.jpg

I believe that a 3TO means it was fitted to a Superb. It is standard on the Elegance. If you look at your VIN it says 1ZO (i.e. a Octavia).

Did you get v6 maps on DVD too, or are they loaded on the HDD only?

I believe that a 3TO means it was fitted to a Superb. It is standard on the Elegance. If you look at your VIN it says 1ZO (i.e. a Octavia).

Did you get v6 maps on DVD too, or are they loaded on the HDD only?

On dvd as well as loaded onto the unit.