Removing factory fitted stereo from 01 octavia

Hi folks looking to put my own stereo in and could use some help removing the stadard one

i took mine out the other week to check some wiring, and all i used was two junior hacksaw blades with the ends cut off :rofl:

there are radio keys readily available though. whatever you use they go into the small slits either side of the radio, push them until you feel resistance and then you should be able to pull the radio out.

hope that helps

good luck

nick

If you choose the halfrauds route, kenwood keys work even though the stereo is grundig,

Junior hacksaw blades work a treat though!!

i read somwhere before that u had to change certain wires over on the back of the stereo before u replace it with a new one if anyone can shed anylight on the subject i would be happy as looking at getting a new one soon as my cd changer has gone tits up cant even eject the cassette

i read somwhere before that u had to change certain wires over on the back of the stereo before u replace it with a new one if anyone can shed anylight on the subject i would be happy as looking at getting a new one soon as my cd changer has gone tits up cant even eject the cassette

yep we had to change a wire round on mine can not remember which as I'm not much good with hu's but it would not hold it's memory once turned off. We used picture hooks to remove the original head unit

If you have a couple of metal spoons that are slim, that will work. I think I also managed to get mine out with Blaupunkt tools. HTH

Just replaced mine, all i found was i had to change the red and yellow wires round on the head unit. This is common as some permanent lives and ignition lives are the other way round.

Hope thats of some help.

• 11 months later...

yeah i bought a kenwood stereo and it came with an adapter, just swap the red and yellow over with each other on these leads it had connections half way down the wires to make this simpler!

I used SWMBO's nail file and released one side at a time. Took a bit wiggling but was out within a minute :)

As for the wires pretty much all new HU's have bullet connectors on the red and yellow wires (permanent live and switched live) and these will just need swapping over. Also I was told in these cars to cut the remote power/electric aerial wire (blue with white stripe) as it can cause problems by sending a pulse to the ecu or something to do with diagnostics although I'm not sure how true it is.

HTH

Matt

havn't heard that one before but mine was taped over when i got it, i had aerial/sterring wheel control wire and a remote power, which is now connected to my amps

Also I was told in these cars to cut the remote power/electric aerial wire (blue with white stripe) as it can cause problems by sending a pulse to the ecu or something to do with diagnostics although I'm not sure how true it is.

I think that something like this can affect the canbus stuff? Not really sure. My blue wire (from the HU) powers the aerial amplifier power injector and also triggers my hands free kit too (iirc).

Was probably to with canbus what I heard then fella.

I've only ever known it for the motorised electric aerials tbh, apart from remote switch on for amps. Didn't realise that it may power the aerial amplifier too though. Might be why the radio is ****e in my car with the new stereo, not that I ever listen to the radio much anyway.

Matt

Didn't realise that it may power the aerial amplifier too though. Might be why the radio is ****e in my car with the new stereo, not that I ever listen to the radio much anyway.

The aerial base is powered by the standard HU sending power down the coaxial cable to it. When you fit an aftermarket you need to fit a power injector otherwise the radio reception will be naff.

You can get the injectors off ebay, or if you PM me I have a spare one I bought when I thought mine was faulty (turned out the base had failed) which you can have for a few quid.

I think that something like this can affect the canbus stuff? Not really sure. My blue wire (from the HU) powers the aerial amplifier power injector and also triggers my hands free kit too (iirc).

think the issues is the standard vag wiring arrangement means that if you plug in an aftermarket stereo it can send 12V onto the k-line used for diagnostics - not good!

i took mine out the other week to check some wiring, and all i used was two junior hacksaw blades with the ends cut off :rofl:

there are radio keys readily available though. whatever you use they go into the small slits either side of the radio, push them until you feel resistance and then you should be able to pull the radio out.

hope that helps

good luck

nick

Haha, same! Thought I unique option of getting it out, guess not lol.

• 9 months later...

f'ken modern cars do my head in. So after reading this have I got it right that if I'm to take out the standard HU that not only will I need to swap round wires, my radio reception will be pants too, and have to fit an 'injector' and even if all thats done it may send a signal to the ECU to say there is a fault?? WTF? what happened to the days of happily splicing wires together and covering in insulating tape.Job done.

All I want to do is have a 3.5mm aux socket for my mp3/ipods like I have on another HU but dont think I can be ar$£d with all that.

Just tried to remove the stereo with the keys, nothing, keys just slip back out or bend when I push too hard.Sorry for a possibly stupid question but, How far in should the keys go in and is there a right way up? I seen a Vw beetle stereo on line with the same keys being removed and they went in very far, right up to the round bits, mine only seem to go the small 'tooth' sticking up if you know what I mean. Any ideas, or do I need to remove some trim 1st?

hope that helps

good luck

nick

+1 to hacksaw blades!

Any ideas, or do I need to remove some trim 1st?

Remove the plastic surround from around the stereo/cubbyhole etc. then prize out the cubby hole (If I remember rightly it is just "plugged" into a plastic hole at the back), you should then be able to get your hand to the back of the stereo H/U to push it out after you've stuck the keys in.

Or you can remove the glovebox to get your hand to the back of the stereo that way.