MDI Retro Fit

drbig

Dear Drbig

Can I ask if you are fitting this to the Columbus head unit as in my Superb?

I only ask as they managed to get the parts but said that they couldn't attach them as the "loom" wasn't in place under the armrest.

Are you saying the cable you bought from Kufatec just plugs into the back of the unit wetween it and the loom and the MDi fits into that?

Thanks

Chough

Yes

Pull the Quadlock from the back of the head unit plug in this cable the mdi then plugs in the fly lead

4506247552_d614200a36.jpg

Yes

Pull the Quadlock from the back of the head unit plug in this cable the mdi then plugs in the fly lead

4506247552_d614200a36.jpg

Hi drbig

So if they have the mdi then all I need is to get the cable from Kufatec?

cheers

chough

Hi drbig

So if they have the mdi then all I need is to get the cable from Kufatec?

cheers

chough

Hi

Please could I just ask if you had all the standard fuctionality that comes with the MDI when you tested it?

For example, working through the maxi-dot, access to playlists, steering wheel controls etc

Thanks again

Chough

Hi

Please could I just ask if you had all the standard fuctionality that comes with the MDI when you tested it?

For example, working through the maxi-dot, access to playlists, steering wheel controls etc

Thanks again

Chough

Yes .... I am going to have another play with it this weekend as I want to test the cable that came with the unit

I will take a few shots of the displays

drbig how is the MDI fitting going?

Not had the car It’s in the garage having some warranty work done. Squeaks and groans from the peddle box to start and light failure

• 3 months later...

That's brilliant. How long in total did you spend in total doing this?

If it's relatively low on time to do I could probably offer it to members in future.

James: have you had a look at this? Have you been able to come up with an all in price for doing this? I'm sure you will have a captive market coming through your door if you start doing somthing like this. I for one would prefer a Skoda dealer fitting it rather than someone else.

I also see this modification takes the MDI to the top tray. As far as I am aware the factory supplied MDI for Yetis (in other countries) takes this to the bottom tray in front of the gearlever? Does it matter which one it goes to? Is the top easier to fit than the bottom one as I suspect?

Edit: Fatfinger

Edited by 900000

21/06/2010 - Have all of the parts now and the MDI tray is handed and only for left hand drive that could be why its not available in the UK no right version of the pocket

MDI is an option on Irish right hand drive Yetis by the way... So perhaps there are LHD and RHD trays to be ordered and you just ordered the wrong one?

MDI is an option on Irish right hand drive Yetis by the way... So perhaps there are LHD and RHD trays to be ordered and you just ordered the wrong one?

Nope they only list one and its showing as LHD

Nope they only list one and its showing as LHD

Peculiar. I went earlier and double checked the Irish website and MDI is definitely still an option listed in the price list. Wonder how they route it then?

Peculiar. I went earlier and double checked the Irish website and MDI is definitely still an option listed in the price list. Wonder how they route it then?

The Irish website accessories brochure also shows:

"No photo: Kit for additional fitting of MDI

(5L0 051 592)*"

tom

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the correct part number for the MDI tray?

I have not found a UK one only the left hand drive version

and I have the left hand drive version of the tray and it wont fit right hand drive car

Edited by drbig

Could one of the Irish members with the MDI option not just remove the tray and there should be the part number on the back of it?

Not having a Yeti though, I'm not sure how easy it is to remove :)

Glad the retrofitting is going strong with the Yeti owners though :thumbup:

Cheers,

Steve

I tried to get the tray out of the RHD Yeti in the showroom and it isn't easy I think there a couple of tabs holding it that I need to figure out where they are.

I'm hoping an Irish member can find the part number quickly or if they get on okay with their dealer could they ring them give them their chassis number and ask them what is the part number as with the chassis number it should be very easy to find on ETKA.

I tried to get the tray out of the RHD Yeti in the showroom and it isn't easy I think there a couple of tabs holding it that I need to figure out where they are.

I'm hoping an Irish member can find the part number quickly or if they get on okay with their dealer could they ring them give them their chassis number and ask them what is the part number as with the chassis number it should be very easy to find on ETKA.

Pull up the gear leaver cover and trim ...

You will then see the fixings holding the tray in place

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this?

I heard a whisper today that MDI can now be ordered on RHD Yetis?

Anyone confirm, please?

TIA

Browsing through the Yeti online accessory catalogue this morning, I came across this:

http://www.accessories.skoda.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?p_no=ZGB000035602

So even if you can't order it from the factory, you should be able to get your dealer to fit it.

Hope this helps,

Phibes

I've had a Dension Gateway 100 in my octavia, but took it out in the end as I wasn't happy with it. I also had a Dension gateway 300 in my 530d before that. Neither were compatible with the headunits I had.

Both should work with maxidot, but mine never did. There are many discussions either in the ICE forum area or on the Octavia 2 forum area on this.

I personally will go down the retro fit MDI route, as it is OEM designed to fit the car, after my 'bad' experiences with the Gateway 100 & 300 & icelink before that. (I don't learn do Iemoticon-0140-rofl.gif)

They all work, just never displayed on the maxidot or headunit for me, so I had to use the ipod/iPhone whilst driving, so never bothered unless I remembered to do it before I set off, which was rare.

I probably have the 100 kicking around somewhere, but I need a new iPod lead as I broke the cable. Maybe I'll get a new cable and try it on my Yeti when it arrives.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike,

One would hope that if SUK are promoting the Gateway 100 as an approved accessory for the Yeti ( http://www.accessori...no=ZGB000035602 ) it would do what is claimed on the webpage?

Quote "Dension Gateway 100 ipod Interface Part Number: ZGB000035602

Suitable For:

Product Details: Gateway 100 provides complete integration with the Apple iPod delivering music track navigation through the car radio controls (or through the multi-function steering wheel, where fitted). The integration extends to album and track information available on the car’s Multi Function Display (with detail varying according to the type of MFD fitted) and a connection to the car’s power supply which means that the iPod will be charged when connected

Gateway 100 Features:

Supports 5v charging implemented on new iPods since September 2007 (Classic, Nano 3G, Touch, iPhone 3G)<li>Choice of user interface modes: iPod UI – direct control of iPod from iPod control panel with car audio system FF/RW or Gateway UI – browsing of Artists/Albums/Playlists/Tracks<li>iPod + aux input<li>Text display on vehicles with highline cluster/Maxidot (dependant on DIS level) RRP: £141.00 spanner.gif"

I've got the Parts Manager @ my Dealers looking into this and my Salesman is also looking into whether my order can be amended to include factory fit MDI - he's worried though that any amendment now - so close to cut off date might skew the delivery date yet again?

There are a number of VW/Skoda MDI kits on Ebay at the moment (eg http://lyxus.net/gzwf ) but they're pricey @£250, whereas the MDI option on the Fabia , for instance is £155

I keep this updated as it unfolds :thumbup:

I would hope that the new headunits were compatible. The steering wheel controls did do something, but as I couldn't see what I was doing so I can't remember whether they worked properly or not. I removed it in the end. Only 'Track 1' showed on the head unit, but should have shown on the maxidot, but didn't. My head unit was listed as a compatible unit, but wasn't.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a call from SUK 'Customer Services' MDI is NOT available for Yeti and there are no immediate plans to make it so.

Poor effort, IMO

Anyhow sourced MDI cable from Kufatec: http://www.kufatec.de/shop/ and the MDI cable for Yeti (and Octavia etc ) is Media In/MDI interface Part No. 63418 @ 53.28 Euro delivered by DHL (trackable) in 3 working days!

It fits directly into the block on the back of the Bolero and won't need coding. Cable is long enough to reach glove box, dash top cubby or centre console - you'll just need the MDI interface box (5N0 035 341B) and an ipod, USB or 3.5mm jack (depending on your media source) > MDI cable from your dealer.

NONE of the Dension kits will display on the radio, but may show limited info on the Maxidot

BINGO!!

BTW, my build date confirmed in the same phone call as week 45 - so we're getting there (slowly)

Anyhow sourced MDI cable from Kufatec: http://www.kufatec.de/shop/ and the MDI cable for Yeti (and Octavia etc ) is Media In/MDI interface Part No. 63418 @ 53.28 Euro delivered by DHL (trackable) in 3 working days!

That is brilliant Merlinman. But when I went to Kufatec the MDI cable bits were priced at 279 Euros and searching for 63418 returns no results... emoticon-0145-shake.gif Can you paste the link to the actual bit you bought please? OR is it perhaps part number 36418?