RainX

Pinsharp

I treated my windcreen with a coat of rain-X and it is now smeary, how can I remove the product and possible start again.

Must have done something wrong in the applying process! Now when it rains I can't see a thing!:(

Matt.

try going over again

Squirt a little on the cloth (i use a micro fiber one) and in small circles move up and down the screen covering it completely..

Then witha damp cloth lightly go over..

Works wonders for me..

ive often forgot to take the second part on.. but a few drops of water soon clears

I treated my windcreen with a coat of rain-X and it is now smeary, how can I remove the product and possible start again.

Must have done something wrong in the applying process! Now when it rains I can't see a thing!:(

Matt.

I hate the stuff and would never use it.

Charcoal lighter fluid works best. Any ammonia based cleaner will get rid of it too.

I have AquaPel on my windscreen, only time it smears is when I use the washers and thats only for a single wipe.  Have Rain-x on all the other windows (cheaper :)

Read a tip that if it smears when you wipe, clean your blades with some fairy liquid.

I wouldn't recommend Marmite on the windscreen as it's thick, black & sticky, it'll make visibility much worse & I don't know what the wipers will do! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I find Bovril better anyway, water just flies off and you get a snack on long journeys too. Marmite should be used for repairing roads - disgusting stuff :)

Halfords own is much better than the Rain X stuff. Lasts ages, no smears, and water beads so much I pretty much never use my wipers anymore! Its all in the preparation though, make sure you give the screen a proper clean first before applying the stuff :thumbup:

Ive always used RainX, I think ill branch to new ones next time..

Ive never had a problem with RainX my mate finds it hard to get it right. Its amazing how much differance a way its applied makes

And i dont mean with a mixture of marmite lol

I use the rainX with no problems & I think It works a treat.

It can be a swine to buff off & If It isn't buffed off can cause It smear. Usually I give the windscreen a quick clay beforehand to make It dirt/fallout free before applying.

Edited by oggy

Use a Glass Polish to take off the problem covering, and it'll also prep the glass for applying it again.

Personally I'd use Aquapel instead though, far superior IMO.

Steve

Use a Glass Polish to take off the problem covering, and it'll also prep the glass for applying it again.

Personally I'd use Aquapel instead though, far superior IMO.

Steve

Only downside I guess is the cost. I haven't had it on the screen long enough to find out if its longlife quotes are true.

Only downside I guess is the cost. I haven't had it on the screen long enough to find out if its longlife quotes are true.

I've found it outlasts other products easily. I think I got nearly 20k out of one application last time. I've not applied it on my current Fabia yet. Plus I've always bought it on the Group Buy deals, so it's not really that expensive either.

Steve

I had the aquapel last about 18 months on the car.

At this point it was still working well on the sides etc and was still noticeable on the front.

I'd say that at 9 months (circa 20k miles) the windscreen became less effective at moving water off at speed, and I probably should have redone this at 12 to 14 months after the initial application.

I put a new one on a couple of months ago and it's still working spot on :)

RainX is cack. It's really bad I have never been so dissapointed in a product as much with the exception of possibly Aquapel or Ombrello

Save yourself the hassle and either get a set of PIAA wipers or try the Lidl W5 stuff which works really well (Only costs about £4 if you can get it).