Taking a Car to Auction.

vRSsunroof

Hi Guys,

Just after a bit of advice really, i am looking at selling my car sharpish aas i have seen a few vRSs that have taken my eye.

Whats your guys opinion on takeing cars to auction?

Has anyone done it?

(yea i have used the Search box with no luck)

I'm guessing you've already been on webuyanycar.com?

They tend to give part exchange values.. and auctions don;t normally bring top dollar so could be another, quicker, more predictable option?

They'll value it online, then come out and check the valuation so don't tell porkies on the online form ;)

A relative put their slightly broken Octavia through auction,

If you go down this route, as already mentioned dont expect top $ for it. You need to pay the auction house a fee to put it through the auction wether or not it sells, and if it does sell then you need to pay comission on the sale price which varies depending on the auction house. If the car fails to sell, and you dont want it back then they can auction it again at the next auction, but you will need to pay another listing fee and also the storage fee per day between the auctions.

You coudl try selling it to a local dealer or asking if you can use it in part-ex for the vRS's you're looking at.

yea i have been looking at WeByNeCar this but they are quoting 4,300 atm and it changes every day one week was only 3,500 the thing that scares me is the car is 3 yrs old and at those prices it has De valued by %50!!!! shocking!

Local Dealer - Would they just buy a car off me outright? as for the part ex-option i can get the same car privatly for a better price than what the stealers want (and trying to find a stealer with a Fabia Vrs!) it has crossed my mind. but it would mean adding more Debt in my hands.... wanted to do it all outright really.

We buy any car seems like the best ATM for a Quick sale. but its the princible of it i know they will just sell it on for more!

A 50% devaluation at 3 years is not bad to be honest, some cars lose as much as 75% in the first 3 years and then plateaux off. A new car loses at least 17.5% as soon as you drive off the forcourt, so then you have the depreciation from that point.

I don't see why a dealer won't take it off you. Question is if it'll be a better price than We Buy Any Car.

It's not unheard of for a private buyer to accept a car in part-ex either although perhaps not something as unusual as yours.

theres several garages round me advertising good cars wanted for cash, most of them have criteria, and many will offer the private sales book price, there normally the independent one man and his dog places that will do that!

A lot will depend on the car it is you are trying to sell.

Most mainstream cheaper stuff is making strong money in auctions at the moment, so it might be worth a shot for sure - as said though, it can be expensive to sell a one-off.

I always think you can't beat Autotrader. If the car is described accurately (warts and all), and its priced correctly/realistically, then it will sell, simple as that really.

We buy any car wouldn't get my business as they are ruining the lives of millions with their frustrating adverts :p

Unless you really need to get rid of it I would not say going down the auction route is the best option. I've done it twice and its a gamble both times its been with really bad cars dogged with alot of problems and both time after commission I've got my money back on the car (one I even made a profit).

Try selling privately, try ebay, try the dealership and see how that goes and remember even though you have see you possible new car dont rush to sell as there will be others out there!

I always think you can't beat Autotrader. If the car is described accurately (warts and all), and its priced correctly/realistically, then it will sell, simple as that really.

Very good advice. I reckon that's most people's starting point when searching for a car. I've always sold mine on there, never part-ex'd. My last Octy sold within 5 days. As long as your price is realistic then you'll sell it.

What do they mean when the reseller says, 'Sell or return' basis???

Rather than buy the car from you, they put it on the forcourt on your behalf and take a percentage of the sale price, if they cant sell it within agreed timescales you get the car back and are back at square one.