95 & 98RON

All,

I'm just wondering what fuel you run your car on? For a MK1 Octavia vRS.

It says obviously 98RON, but has anyone tried 95RON?

Luke

Edited by L11UKP

This is why I'm interested to know the differences between the two.

I have been running mine on 98RON and will only do this, just curious to know the differences (if any) that effects using 95 RON?

I always put Tescos 99 RON in mine, or Shell VPower. It may be more expensive but you get about 20 more miles to the tank which just about covers the extra cost.

I put 95 RON in it once from my local Jet garage when I went to France for the day. It felt ok but didn't pick up very well on the motorway. I must have got used to how bad the pickup was, as when I got back, the next day I went to Tesco and put a full tank of 99 RON in it and oh my god it felt like a different car, like it had been remapped or something. So since then it's been 99 RON all the way!

Okay - thanks mate.

I never used Tesco as I have used Morrisons in all my cars and now I'm using Shell. What kind of price difference is the 99RON stuff from Tesco?

Okay - thanks mate.

I never used Tesco as I have used Morrisons in all my cars and now I'm using Shell. What kind of price difference is the 99RON stuff from Tesco?

About 5ppl more down here in Caaaaardiff

I ran my mk1 vRS on 95 ron, and it run fine. I even had remapped for 95ron on sainsburys finest unleaded. Never had any problem in the 55K miles I had the car.

I use only 95 on my 1.8T Octavia 150 HP,is not the RS....and it runns perfect

the manufacturer recommends for my engine(AGU type) 92/95 RON petrol

I do about 40 MPG on the highway and about 21 MPG in town

best answer is use what you can afford to.

I used to use 95 but that was just coz it was cheap and i didnt really notice with the std map. when you get it remapped, if its remapped like mine using 98/99 then its best to use that, I use 97 sainsburys as its cheaper than tesco 99 and v power by a fair bit and it gets better eco I find. 99 is more responcive again but you find you play more. 95 is just rough and tonk and only use if there is nothing else.

It will run on either. I've used V-Power exclusively now for well over 18mths. I won't let her near supermarket fuel whether it's "Super" or not. She definitely runs better on V-Power, but at the same time, you won't damage the car with regular fuel.

Like others have said, buy what you can afford. But avoid constantly changing between the two - you won't get the benefit of the more expensive stuff.

Over about 60k miles in my standard/then remapped mk1 I never noticed a difference between 98 and 95ron I think if there is a difference its too small to notice.

Same with my FL Facelift my RR was carried with 95 Ron Tesco and standard filter again tried 98/99Ron cant notice any performance increase or more mpg.

The one thing I did notice after filling with the "good stuff" is that she runs a little smoother (I'm due to do a TB clean as she's been running a little rough at tickover, especially after some spirited driving!!), and pick up under acceleration seems to be quicker and a little more responsive (could be a placebo effect though? :wonder: )

The MPG has also picked up a little too, probably somewhere in the region of 2 - 3 MPG overall, but as others have said you might not notice this if you don't fill the tank.

No mate dont think it's placebo affect, i run mine on either tescos 97 or vpower when i can get it and i defo notice the same as you, on the vpower better pick and more responsive then 97ron. :yes:

the AUQ engine is mapped for 98RON fuel to achieve the quoted 180bhp. Whilst it will run quite happily on 95, at higher loads the engine management will be pulling quite a bit of ignition retard in response to knock signals (quite enlightening watching the figures on vagcom etc), and will not produce the same power. How noticeable this is when driving seems to be a matter of individal perception and/or vehicle, but once remapped (unless deliberately mapped for 95) it will be very noticeable.

Mine was significantly better with 97/98 even when standard, other people report less noticeable differences.

I had to put 95 Ron in mine today on the way back from Castle Combe as there wasn't anywhere nearby that did Super. I only put enough in to get me home (£20) and although it accelerated alright it just felt a bit rough on the motorway. Will be filling up with good old Tescos 99 tomorrow :thumbup: