Facelift Octavia Vrs Wind Noise At Speed

Will try the moving the mirror tomorrow, would try it now but have had a couple of beers...

Opening the window a few mm doesn't work for me anymore though

I don't have the curtain airbags on mine so it's not those...

Will try the moving the mirror tomorrow, would try it now but have had a couple of beers...

Hi,

I have tried moving the mirror and that doesn't work on mine, even dropping the window a few mm makes no difference, mines also has no curtain airbags.

Cheers

Hi

Just an update on the noise issue.

My dealer noticed today that the passenger "A" pillar outside panel was not flush with the rest of the bodywork. The retaining bolt which is visible by opening the passenger door was slackened and the Panel clicked flush as it should be. The drivers side one was perfect and flush.

The panel which I am refering to is the side wing which joins on to the "A" pillar close to the wing mirror.

Could this be the wind issue!! worth a look to see if your "A" pillar joints are flush. This could be creating a disturbance in the air flow.

Mine look flush, but I may try adjusting them whilst I wait for the police forensics officer to turn up... Nothing else to do at the moment emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Hi,

A Pillar joins appear OK.

Latest theory.

As discussed previously I have a vibration in the A-Pillar when the nosie is present.

Today the noise was present and I could also feel the inner door seal vibrating (a few inches above the window vent). Pressing the seal stopped the noise.

Then applied masking tape to the outer door seal (from the wing mirror to the top of the door) and the noise stopped (downside being you then have to get in the passenger side door).

Hopefully this is the problem. Car back in to Skoda in a couple of weeks.

Cheers.

I am still waiting for my vRS (build week 31) my wife says i am obsessed cause i go on this site most nights, but after being shown some of the discussions has now agreed that i am doing the right thing, Also showed her various other car forums with similair discussions regarding new car probs and it appears to us both that skoda seem to have fewer probs than most on new cars.

OK, after experimenting with tape over various seals and getting funny looks from other motorists, I can confirm the noise is coming from the drivers door seal on mine. I've narrowed it down the the seal along the A-Pillar as if I leave the tape on there I enjoy relative silence. As soon as the tape comes off the a-pillar the howling is back...

OK, after experimenting with tape over various seals and getting funny looks from other motorists, I can confirm the noise is coming from the drivers door seal on mine. I've narrowed it down the the seal along the A-Pillar as if I leave the tape on there I enjoy relative silence. As soon as the tape comes off the a-pillar the howling is back...

My car was back with the dealer today for another test run.

Definitely the A-Pillar door seal but seal dose not appear damaged in any way. Dealer will be adjusting the striker hook on the main body to pull the door in tighter - may only be a 1 or 2mm adjustment. Car is in next week to have this done. Will let you know how this goes.

Interesting. Although no howling on my car the wind noise is noticeable. As is the sound of passing traffic, more so than with my previous Octavia.

I'm sure the door seals look different on the FL to the pre-FL. Anyone noticed this?

Interesting. Although no howling on my car the wind noise is noticeable. As is the sound of passing traffic, more so than with my previous Octavia.

I'm sure the door seals look different on the FL to the pre-FL. Anyone noticed this?

I didn't have a pre-FL Octavia so can't compare but I have noticed more road/passing traffic noise since the howling started, so maybe the seal has shifted slightly...

Anyway, here's my temporary fix for the howling...

post-50337-12783620274707_thumb.jpg

Will change the tape every day or two til I get it sorted properly, will see if gmb's door adjustment works, and if so will get that done, if not, was thinking about adding sealant round the affected area to see if that helps...

Edited by Raglits

Hi all,

Quick update I have blanked off every seal and join mirror lights door etc and its made no difference noise still present. The only way to stop the noise is to blank off the front main grille, this stops it completely. Not a great idea for obvious reasons but the air must be hitting something as it passes through the grille.

Will keep looking for something, but the A pillar theory not working on mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Its a whistling sound which appears at 65mph and stays there up to 95mph. Its loud enough to notice and hear over the stereo

Cheers

I had a similar noise appear on my Fl after 800 miles took it to the local stealer and he jumped in went up the road and he instantly said yep I know what that is and shoved his fingers in the door sill on the passenger door and it stopped. Went back and he adjusted the door lock so it held tighter and it has now gone. Might be the same issue.

He said hes seen it before but normally on older ones and they had to replace the door seals. A good way to test is to push on the door as your going along you can play a tune with the whilstling noise.

I had a go in a superb today,I noticed the external door seals were a lot stiffer than the ones on my octavia. Even the seals on a fabia they had there felt stiffer. Like a fool I forgot to check the octavia there to see if it had the same firm seals. Wonder if new Octavias have the stiffer/tighter seals?

I didn't have a pre-FL Octavia so can't compare but I have noticed more road/passing traffic noise since the howling started, so maybe the seal has shifted slightly...

Will change the tape every day or two til I get it sorted properly, will see if gmb's door adjustment works, and if so will get that done, if not, was thinking about adding sealant round the affected area to see if that helps...

Hi,

Had the door striker hook adjusted last week and although not completely fixed the noise is much reduced and only seems to be at 75 + mph. Car going back in next week for another adjustment - looks like it may take a few shots until they get it right.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

FIXED AT LAST.

Car was back in at the dealer this week and they have replaced the door seal and the door aperture seal (seal on the main body). Door striker hook also returned to original position as this had been adjusted when they tried to fix it the first time.

Original seals did not appear damaged so not exactly sure what the problem was with the factory fitted seals.

Hope you all have the same success with your dealers.

Cheers

Edited by gmb

Thats the same problem I had as posted before, they sorted mine by adjustingthe striker on the passenger side however I have noticed a couple of times the noise has come back again but much quieter. They dealer said come back if it started again and they would replace the door seal so I might have it done anyway.

FIXED AT LAST.

Car was back in at the dealer this week and they have replaced the door seal and the door aperture seal (seal on the main body). Door striker hook also returned to original position as this had been adjusted when they tried to fix it the first time.

Original seals did not appear damaged so not exactly sure what the problem was with the factory fitted seals.

Hope you all have the same success with your dealers.

Cheers

Do the seals seem stiffer than the originals? As mentioned previously new fabia and superb had stiffer seals than the ones on my Octavia.

Do the seals seem stiffer than the originals? As mentioned previously new fabia and superb had stiffer seals than the ones on my Octavia.

Seals don't appear to be any stiffer than originals.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Took mine in for a service last week and asked them to look into the problem. Dealer decided two seals needed replacing on the drivers door and aperture and car is going back in this Friday for those to be done... Will see how it all holds out over the next few thousand miles...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I picked my Octavia VRS TDi DSG at the beginning of september. It was fine for two weeks then I got this Howling noise, it sounds like a noisey wheel bearing and is more distinctive in the passenger footwel. It happens the most between 70-80 and 50-60. It has been to the dealership twice now for this problem and has not been fixed. The first time they said it was the blind in the back passenger window, I even got charge £41.00 for diagnostics. The noise was still there when I got it back. The second time they said it was coming from the brakes, which have been striped and cleaned. Drove off, got to 70mph and it happened again. They have racked up milage and wasted my fuel with over 4 days of testing. I have read a lot of the posts on the site, so hopefully with more information I can get this issue resolved. The service department have never come accross this problem and dont seem to have made any progress.

If anyone has found a fix or what I should ask the service lads to look at it would be very much appreciated. It goes back in a week on monday.

Thanks

Hi

I picked my Octavia VRS TDi DSG at the beginning of september. It was fine for two weeks then I got this Howling noise, it sounds like a noisey wheel bearing and is more distinctive in the passenger footwel. It happens the most between 70-80 and 50-60. It has been to the dealership twice now for this problem and has not been fixed. The first time they said it was the blind in the back passenger window, I even got charge £41.00 for diagnostics. The noise was still there when I got it back. The second time they said it was coming from the brakes, which have been striped and cleaned. Drove off, got to 70mph and it happened again. They have racked up milage and wasted my fuel with over 4 days of testing. I have read a lot of the posts on the site, so hopefully with more information I can get this issue resolved. The service department have never come accross this problem and dont seem to have made any progress.

If anyone has found a fix or what I should ask the service lads to look at it would be very much appreciated. It goes back in a week on monday.

Thanks

[/quot

Hi,

My car is still whistling, skoda uk have officially washed their hands of it, told me its a characteristic of the car. My dealer won't touch it because they can't get warranty for it due to skoda uk position!! And guess what I am stuck in the middle!! I hope you have better luck getting it fixed, cause if the magic laptop doesn't prescribe a fix at the dealership they are clueless, and don't seem to do the old fashioned basics anymore of fault finding. Like you they have used my petrol and clocked up miles, but I get nothing back, not even a tank of petrol or a sorry!! My car was brand new in january this year and has been whistling since I got it.

I've owned 3 vrs models all from new, and that counts for nothing when trying to get an issue resolved.

Would I buy another vrs not sure!!

Regards

Mark

Even mine had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and the SA informed me that they have got a circular from Skoda Auto India to change the door seal and the door aperture seal for both driver as well as co-driver side. This helped me getiing this thing sorted.