Hifi of Yesteryear vs Today's effort!

swordstoke

Did you happen to be on the M62 yesterday evening about 1830 ish by any chance?  Just wondering as I went past an identical M car to yours with a lady driver and a private plate around then clearly doing a relaxed under the speed limit speed as I passed heading for Birkenhead and the Belfast ferry.

Edited by skomaz

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

Did you happen to be on the M62 yesterday evening about 1830 ish by any chance?  Just wondering as I went past an identical M car to yours with a lady driver and a private plate around then clearly doing a relaxed under the speed limit speed as I passed heading for Birkenhead and the Belfast ferry.

I was funnily enough, but it wasn't me as I wasn't in the Beemer and I don't have a private reg. 

I was also travelling much closer to the speed limit :D 

• Like 1

Ah well...   Just wondered.

Don't recall seeing a different vehicle with some massive speakers in the boot though...🤣

Trying to move big heavy boxes is a lot harder than I remember. Definitely an age thing. I do like to buy hifi by weight, though. 30kg or so, in a big smooth cardboard box with no handles is a bit of a nightmare really, as is unboxing and moving into position without scratching the speaker or destroying everything a knee height with the ridiculously large (after fitting) bolted on plinth. That was a faff too, as you can't easily tip the speaker upside down and you can't fit the plinth while the speaker is upside down in its cardboard box either. I had a similar problem with my telly. Still, it's amazing the solutions you come up with when you have to. Obviously, I refuse to have anyone help me :D

The other slightly odd thing is I suspect these will be the last front pair of speakers I ever buy, as my age means they will probably last me until the point when I can't really appreciate fine hifi 😞 Figure I need to sort all this sort of stuff over the next few years and while I am still earning a living.  Maybe my hifi will appear in a thread like this one many years into the future, when everyone has an inductive coil fitted in their cochlear and google contact lenses. It does raise an interesting question as to what will be desirable in the future. Cassettes are even making a comeback today, but I see no love for early CD players for instance. Quality amps and speakers (assuming parts are still available) will always be worth something, but will people really care about DACs for instance? 

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

It's quite sad really. I love my 1980-something Denon DCD-810.

I've a Rotel RCD-955 which I equally love. It plays in Stereo and proudly says so on the front :thumbup:

Gaz

• Like 1

I've got a couple too...    Ones a panasonic a d one a technics but given both brands are the same company the only difference is one has an anti skip feature and is silver the other doesn't and is grey.   They still work fine and my eldest uses one to play backing tracks when she's practising the flute. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Surprised to see this thread is (was) still alive.

Hifi still very much alive in this household. 
vinyl collection ever growing but space becoming a problem. 

currently listening to ' Good God'. 

The AE1LE hit the spot! 

IMG_6373.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

53 minutes ago, swordstoke said:

Surprised to see this thread is (was) still alive.

Hifi still very much alive in this household. 
vinyl collection ever growing but space becoming a problem. 

currently listening to ' Good God'. 

The AE1LE hit the spot! 

IMG_6373.jpeg

Nice selection of Naim....standard or "improved" via Avondale Audio?..

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Nice selection of Naim....standard or "improved" via Avondale Audio?..

Had some of them since 83 and recently serviced at Class A. 

Not a fan of the Avondale sound as have heard a few combinations over the years. 

Lucky enough to have 3 systems around the house 2 naim based and the 3rd using Nord Class D amps. 

pretty much cover everything we need in the stereo world. 

Do you have a vinyl based system? 

cheers

3 hours ago, swordstoke said:

Do you have a vinyl based system? 

cheers

Yes & no, its my mothers.....B&O 2000 circa 1985yr....I really need to strip the speakers down (CX100) & re foam all the cones as they are going.....& thats 2 per speaker..so 4 cones!.....A few years back I re-capped part of the cassette deck & the amp & placed new belts in the record & cassettes decks...it really should be overhauled, but it hardly gets used!!

My system is all digital...Denon CD/Amp/Tuner/Network player with modified Monitor Audio speakers....Its good because it can cope with 24bit 192kHz FLAC files...I like it when they release the studio masters!

• Like 1