New Estate for bigger family - what should I do?

Hi all.

Baby on way - due Novemeber. We could manage with the Fabia, but an estate would be ideal...

I obviously want a vRS diesel estate if possible, but as little 'un is on way we wont be able to get the 50% deposit for 0% finance. Want to keep monthly costs down so was thinking of PCP deal.

Getting some quotes - they'll get back to me today on:

Manual Diesel Estate

Anthracite Grey

Xenons

Maxidot

curtain airbags

rear parking sensors

sunset privacy glass

Hoping they'll come back with price around £19000.

One dealer = 3 years PCP with trade in (we'll put down £5000 deposit), then it'll be about £230 a month. Final payment around £7000 (total= £21000)

We were going to move this year, but its not the time so maybe a new car is the way to go...

What are your thoughts?

DTD PCP over 2 years seems to come in at a similar price?!?

C

You could get a Fabia estate if money is tight (even do the Fabia VRs in the estate version). This will give you more space in the boot but a cheaper price.

Also cutting back on a few of the options would bring the price too. In my view the Xenons are an expensive option. Unless you do a lot of night driving in non street lit areas then you probably will not get much of a benefit from them. Even then I find the normal lights more than adequate to see what you need in the dark.

With the current deal I got a VRS CR Manual estate with full leather, heated seats, sunset glass, maxidot, rear parking sensors, mats (need to order these as an extra), spare wheel (again make sure you order one), auto lights/dimming mirror all for £19k.

If you go with DtD, you can still use any of the Skoda finance options.

Also, see if a local dealer will match or get close to the DtD price as the DtD dealer is in west London. I got within £150 from a localish dealer and it saves me the 380 mile round trip to collect the car.

Nice spec btw, I nearly went for the anthracite but stuck with the race blue in the end. I've only ever had blue cars when ordered new, so couldn't quite bring myself to break the habit of a life time.

19k is a lot of money... I purchased my 2008 ex-Skoda Vrs estate, at 1 year old/5000 miles, for a little over 13 k this time last year. It only came with PDC, but if you are prepared to compromise your options a nearly new may be more affordable & someone else has already taken the big depreciation hit!

19k seems expensive. I have a 1.8 Scout on order.

Curtain airbags

Xenons

Variable boot

Full sized spare

Maxidot

Led drl's

Cost well under 18k

Why change the car if it's your first baby? The Fabia's plenty big enough for a baby and 2 adults surely? Just don't buy all the crap that most shops want you to believe you need to buy when you have a baby.

Bascially, all you need is a sling-carrier (Baby Bjorn or a Hug-a-bub) and a moses basket for trips away – no space at all.

It's when the second's on its way that you start thinking about a bigger car :giggle:

The first hols we had with our little one convinced us that their was not enough room in our Fabia Combi. The first hols we had in our then new Octavia Estate was a revelation. With the variable boot out the amount of stuff you can get in is just fantastic.

Not only that but all thge space comes in handy all the time.

You will not regret going for an estate !!

Our baby was born last November and at Christmas going away to visit Grandparents I was really glad we had the Scout... car full with baby stuff plus dog plus roof box filled with presents. Estate all the way. I'd say your spec looks pretty sound if its a VRS that you want. The anthracite grey is a lovely colour too.

Surely you only need to upgrade when you run out of seats? Sounds like your after a change anyway :giggle:

Bu if your still keen, all you really need to think about is dont get a Smart Four Two.

As long as the boot has enough space for a baby bag (rucksack thing for bottles, nappies, etc.) and a Pram/Buggy/whatever, then your good. This should apply to most 4+ door cars, especially VAG cars. As stated on here by another poster, dont buy into all the crap the shops say is a 'must'. Just depends on how big your pram/whatever is..

Just make sure its a car you like or you'll moan and pick fault with every niggle.

I wouldn't buy a new car.

Skoda diesels last for ever.

Mine has over 180K on the clock and still quite happy with itself. I bought it with 120K on the clock.

All servicing and stuff is still done at by Skoda.

Even if you shop around on Auto Trader you can easily get a well looked after, full Skoda service history, diesel, top spec L&K, estate... for a lot less than £10K

Then spend the money you've saved on your new child.

The amount of stuff you carry around expands to fill the available boot space. Get a bigger car and you will carry more stuff "just in case..."

Proof? How can it be that when SWMBO and I go away for the weekend we fill the Octy boot and still have to put stuff on the back seat :wonder:

Sonic, I got a VRS TDI in the same spec as yours (minus xenons + spare wheel) on the vat free and interest free for just over 18k. With 6k deposit I too could not really afford the interest free 2 year option, but when you look at how much you save over a three or four year deal with interest,,, I made cutbacks else where. It really is a great deal on at the moment and for me buying a 1-2 year old car does not make any sence. IIRC all skoda dealers offer free delivery so it may be worth phoning a little further for the best deal - I found houghton Skoda great so try phoning them with your best offer ;-)

Go for an Octy estate and cut back on your wish list, things like DRL´s perhaps, get a DSG 2.0 PDI 140 Second Hand and will will be a trusted friend, I just came back from Malaga with 4 adults a 2 year old and all the luggage piled to the roof, did not miss a beat. This includes having to drive up a very steep farm track to get out of the place.