Bad eggy smell engine shudder

Hope anyone can help I have a MK1 Octavia Vrs yellow 2002 the car has done about 50k and I dont usually hammer it or anything like that however the other day I gave it a bit on the motorway and noticed a very strong eggy (sulphur) smell even when i pulled up it smelt all around the car now whenever I rev more than around 3lk revs the engine seems to splutter or miss fire hard to explain as I am no mechanic but if i rev it all the way to 8k when static and in neutral it is clear as a bell with nice turbo sound anybody any ideas

btw it drives rough when first started cold then clears up after about 5 mins if that is anything to do with it

cheers

Edited by jonnymk1vrs

This will be a coil pack or plug issue, the unburnt fuel is causing the cat to work hence the smell.

a smelling cat is a cat working too hard, not cause it's knackered.

Unburt fuel going into the cat, you need to check your plugs and coild packs, plus do a log of the lambda readings.

lambda readings ?? if it were the coils would the car not still do this in neutral

Remove the engine cover

Start the car then pull out each coil pack and push it back in, one by one. As you remove them the engine note should change. If you remove one and the engine note doesn't change then that coil pack is the knackered one :thumbup:

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

• 1 month later...

Hi Johnny

Im having very similar problems..

On start up the car runs lumpy, miss fires and idles rough to the point where you need to restart the car the once you get it going it runs okish.

Then when you say pull off from a roundabout or turn a corner the car seems to have no power then it will pick up and be ok.

I've repaired my secondry air pump (loose rivets) replaced my air mass flow sensor all four coil packs plugs etc etc but nothings solving the problem :(

I dont get any engine management lights on at all.

I spoke to a skoda mechanic who suggested i changed the air mass flow sensor and he did say if that didnt work then most likely it will be the catalytic converter.

Some one please help us as im certainly at the end of my tether.

I had this when I had a coil pack go down, common problem with the Mk 1 Octy vRS.

If it turns out to be the cat converter that is defective, then I have one that came off my old Mk 1 Octy vRS at 25K miles and is in perfect condition if your stuck.

Hope anyone can help I have a MK1 Octavia Vrs yellow 2002 the car has done about 50k and I dont usually hammer it or anything like that however the other day I gave it a bit on the motorway and noticed a very strong eggy (sulphur) smell even when i pulled up it smelt all around the car now whenever I rev more than around 3lk revs the engine seems to splutter or miss fire hard to explain as I am no mechanic but if i rev it all the way to 8k when static and in neutral it is clear as a bell with nice turbo sound anybody any ideas

btw it drives rough when first started cold then clears up after about 5 mins if that is anything to do with it

cheers

HI, had the same problem with the egg smell,have you tried to scan for fault codes, or pending codes,mine was the EGR valve. that could be something to do with it,sometimes it can get stuck with carbon ,hope you get it sorted out soon, all the best