Yeti Tragedy

Pit-Yaka

We picked up our Brilliant Silver Yeti SE on May 7th and have had five weeks of pleasant driving 1800 miles and we are really growing to like our new acquisition, but yesterday my other half was driving on a quiet road when a nissan micra driven by a very elderly lady shot out of a private gateway and rammed the Yeti dead centre of the nearside front passenger door. Thankfully none of the parties involved were hurt but the damage to my lovely new (3 times waxed) Yeti is extensive and starts nearside front wing arch slight damage, front door skin stove in and metal torn and door twisted, inner sill badly distorted, B post distorted at sill joint, rear door skin stove in and metal torn and door twisted, inner sill rear slight distortion, rear wheel arch and alloy wheel slight damage.

Contacted my insurers Churchill who are organising their chosen repairers to pick up the vehicle today plus hire car delivery so they seem very switched on.

But here is where I get concerned, if a repair is undertaken to the point where I am happy with the quality, does said repair affect the standard Skoda warranty and/or anti perforation warranty?? Anyone out there had similar experience or advice that they can pass on to me.

Check your policy; it may be that you're entitiled to a "new replacement car" if the damage cost exceeds a certain figure, and with a bent B-post (and hence possibly sill rail) it just possibly might.

I would suggest that it 'should' not affect your warranty provided they use SKODA parts in for all the repairs. (i.e. similar to servicing)

Maybe one of the Skoda 'dealers' on the forum could advise or check with SUK.

A longer term solution, after the fact, is to use Skoda Insurance as they will use a Skoda approved facility to complete the repair and therefor I would assume that the warranty would always be in tact.

ernieb

Pit-Yaka, very sorry :'( to hear about your Yeti but very pleased your wife and other folks OK :thumbup:

We had a car slide (on snow and compacted ice) out of a junction straight in front of us on a main A road...no chance to avoid at all so we, in one of our old Honda CRVs went into the side of them :( ...see photos:

24022006formatchangetoWindowsBit-2.jpg

24022006formatchangetoWindowsBit-1.jpg

24022006formatchangetoWindowsBitmap.jpg

Everyone shocked and bruised but all OK :yes: ...but the result for the vehicles was another matter...

their car was a right off :S and the damage to ours was £9500 :o final bill the insurance company paid to the repairer.

The repairs were fully guarenteed although the car was out of warrenty so cannot comment on how this may have been affected.

Now regarding our Hettie the yeti...my other half had a little argument with his fence at work a few weeks back and our insurance were happy with our dealers quote and so it is going there for repairs but only about £300 cost!

Will your insurance company consider a quote for repairs at your own Skoda dealer? Might be worth asking BUT I would get onto your dealer and SkodaUK to check this out in the mean time.

All the best and let us know how you get on and here's hoping you'll soon have yeti back as good as new B)

Best wishes

Lady Penelope

Sounds like a write off. I had a 6 week old Golf when someone crashed into me. Damage didn't seem too bad...but after an inspection the A post was bent and because it was such a new car the insurer wrote it off.

Edited by octy888

We picked up our Brilliant Silver Yeti SE on May 7th and have had five weeks of pleasant driving 1800 miles and we are really growing to like our new acquisition, but yesterday my other half was driving on a quiet road when a nissan micra driven by a very elderly lady shot out of a private gateway and rammed the Yeti dead centre of the nearside front passenger door. Thankfully none of the parties involved were hurt but the damage to my lovely new (3 times waxed) Yeti is extensive and starts nearside front wing arch slight damage, front door skin stove in and metal torn and door twisted, inner sill badly distorted, B post distorted at sill joint, rear door skin stove in and metal torn and door twisted, inner sill rear slight distortion, rear wheel arch and alloy wheel slight damage.

Contacted my insurers Churchill who are organising their chosen repairers to pick up the vehicle today plus hire car delivery so they seem very switched on.

But here is where I get concerned, if a repair is undertaken to the point where I am happy with the quality, does said repair affect the standard Skoda warranty and/or anti perforation warranty?? Anyone out there had similar experience or advice that they can pass on to me.

You must be absolutely gutted! I know I would be but, at the end of the day, the Yeti is just a piece of machinery and we can all be very thankful that noone was hurt. I would seriously look into any possibility of getting a replacement vehicle, the damage sounds very extensive with the core structure having been affected. I know if the chassis had been distorted in any way, you would be eligible for a replacement car.

Awww. Rotten luck, in any car and at any time. Poor you, and poor old lady too. And poor Yeti.

A cool clear head will get you through properly sorted.

Very glad to hear your good lady is OK but emoticon-0106-crying.gif that your Monster has been damaged to the extent described. When my wife's Fabia I got side swiped by a Scooby we insisted it went to a Skoda approved body shop, not that allocated by the insurer. Took a couple of days longer to sort out as the Skoda authorised repairer had to go through a quote process with the insurer.

In our case the Fabia was repaired but we quickly P/X'd it due to her not feeling the same as before and the extent of the repairs which involved steering and suspension components.

Anyway I hope you can get sorted soon with an outcome to your satisfaction.

Kind regards,

TP

As TP says, you can insist that it goes to where you want it repaired, not just Churchill's place, but it is likely that where they choose will be approved anyway.

If the B post is bent/twisted I suspect that you will be looking for a new car, as this will have damaged both the floorpan and probably the roof.

I really do have every sympathy, but think the thread title is hugely misleading, and is another misuse of the word "tragedy"

Yes, it's personally upsetting that a nearly brand new car is possibly a write-off - but a "tragedy" it is not IMHO

The coach crash in Cumbria was a "tragedy", the multiple shooting in the same area was a "tragedy"

Damage to a lump of metal should not be described in similar terms

Having said that, I'd be gutted that my new car had been sideswiped in that manner. Glad to hear all the people involved are Ok, although probably very shaken, and I hope it all gets resolved satisfactorily :thumbup:

I really do have every sympathy, but think the thread title is hugely misleading, and is another misuse of the word "tragedy"

Yes, it's personally upsetting that a nearly brand new car is possibly a write-off - but a "tragedy" it is not IMHO

The coach crash in Cumbria was a "tragedy", the multiple shooting in the same area was a "tragedy"

Damage to a lump of metal should not be described in similar terms

Having said that, I'd be gutted that my new car had been sideswiped in that manner. Glad to hear all the people involved are Ok, although probably very shaken, and I hope it all gets resolved satisfactorily :thumbup:

What you describe in Cumbria are to me disasters. The Oxford Concise I suggest allows me the use of the word tradegy. But of course, opinions are like "****holes" we all have them. Thanks for your opinion and sympathy vote but lets just leave it at that now.

The LOL must have been travelling to do that much damage!! Apart from hoping she will be OK, I also hope she will give up driving!!!

(Been hit more than one by LOLs driving into the side of me)

Had a little old lady drive into one of my buses on Thursday. She was joining the main road from a car park and never saw the bus.

Last week we had a young lady (in a pink Micra) run into the back of one of my buses at bus stop. Again she never saw it!

Just to balance the books (and hopefully show I'm not being too sexist), on May Day Bank Holiday Monday, I had to go out to a massive accident where a chap had suddently turned off a main road directly in front of another of my buses putting himself and his wife into hospital and fortunately with no injuries to my driver or passengers. Bus off the road for 6 weeks and £30,000 to repair.

How do you miss a bus???

Main thing is Pit-Yaka, no-one was hurt.

John

An Update. Yeti is in Grey Gables Skoda dealership bodyshop awaiting the Churchill inspector/engineer to take a look. Skoda bodyshop chappies' view is that it is repairable. However I'm not quite sure what I feel about an extensive repair to a car only 5 weeks old. Skoda UK and the Skoda dealership both indicate that the 3 year warranty still stands as does the anti perforation guarantee following the repair so that's a plus at least. I now have a courtesy car and await the vehicle inspector.

I can only guess at how gutted you must be over this.

I do hope you manage to get speedy resolution and an outcome that will make you feel comfortable with the car.

cheers

ernieb

Had a little old lady drive into one of my buses on Thursday. She was joining the main road from a car park and never saw the bus.

Last week we had a young lady (in a pink Micra) run into the back of one of my buses at bus stop. Again she never saw it!

Just to balance the books (and hopefully show I'm not being too sexist), on May Day Bank Holiday Monday, I had to go out to a massive accident where a chap had suddently turned off a main road directly in front of another of my buses putting himself and his wife into hospital and fortunately with no injuries to my driver or passengers. Bus off the road for 6 weeks and £30,000 to repair.

How do you miss a bus???

Main thing is Pit-Yaka, no-one was hurt.

John

how can you miss a bus? there rather big things, and 30000 worth of damage how hard did your driver hit them

What you describe in Cumbria are to me disasters. The Oxford Concise I suggest allows me the use of the word tradegy. But of course, opinions are like "****holes" we all have them. Thanks for your opinion and sympathy vote but lets just leave it at that now.

Sorry :'(

I thought that's what forums were all about :dull:

Hope you get over the accident soon :thumbup:

Edited by Brimma

An Update. Yeti is in Grey Gables Skoda dealership bodyshop awaiting the Churchill inspector/engineer to take a look. Skoda bodyshop chappies' view is that it is repairable. However I'm not quite sure what I feel about an extensive repair to a car only 5 weeks old. Skoda UK and the Skoda dealership both indicate that the 3 year warranty still stands as does the anti perforation guarantee following the repair so that's a plus at least. I now have a courtesy car and await the vehicle inspector.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. My wife got t-boned by a cement mixed in our 6 week old Scenic years ago. Horrible at the time, but at the end of the day it's just a car.

The whole point of insurance is to put you back in the same position prior to the accident. If you're not happy - don't accept the repair.

I doubt on such a new vehicle it will be beyond economic repair - got any pictures to post ?

• 2 weeks later...
:thumbup: Things are on the move with my Yeti m'lady P. Insurance chap has seen it and sanctioned the repair, but as Gilesmengland indicates I don't have to accept the repair if its not up to standard and to be sure I won't. Grey Gables Garage seem switched on though, we had booked the Yeti in for a towbar fitting on 10th June the day after the accident so that obviously didn't happen. However, yesterday when the body shop guy phoned with the update of the inspectors visit he told me he had stripped the internal trims and asked if he could let the guys install the wiring harness for the towbar electrics and continue with the fitting of the ironwork before he starts on the body repair on Thursday 24th June, now thats what I call up front thinking. Well done Grey Gables. :clap:

Hi Pit-Yaka,

Sounds like you have a good dealer - or at least the service dept. I have some issues with mine with regards to updates after I placed the order but I hear that my dealers service dept is pretty good.

I'd rather have a switched on service dept as that affects the long term running of the car?

ernieb

Bad luck! Glad no-one hurt.

At least with a repair you've got a courtesy car for a couple of weeks at worst, beter than joining the queue for a new one!

Bad luck! Glad no-one hurt.

At least with a repair you've got a courtesy car for a couple of weeks at worst, beter than joining the queue for a new one!

That would be TOOOOOOO much to bear :'(