Why No ESP

How come the Elegance model does not come with ESP? I thought the top of the range would?.

Think it's an SUK thing; seem to think we prefer fancy wheels and stereo's etc. over safety :S Would have been quite happy with 15" wheels and standard A/C if that meant ESP was standard fit.

TP

Edit; just in the process of ordering a Fabia, opted for the ESP Plus as my must have option.

Edited by The Plumber

Think it's an SUK thing; seem to think we prefer fancy wheels and stereo's etc. over safety :S Would have been quite happy with 15" wheels and standard A/C if that meant ESP was standard fit.

TP

Edit; just in the process of ordering a Fabia, opted for the ESP Plus as my must have option.

What is the difference with ESP and ESP Plus?.

What is the difference with ESP and ESP Plus?.

ESP Plus includes, Hill Hold Control (HHC) and Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPM) in addition to the standard ESP system functions.

Have this set up on my Yeti.

Regards,

TP

The cars setup is so safe and stable that it has absolutely no need for ESP IMO. Doesn't even need traction control as it is so over-tyred.

Would have to polity disagree on this one from personal experience; my wife's current Corsa and I are still here thanks to the ESP system I opted for last time. Stopped me spinning out into other cars / crash barrier while trying to avoid a Honda Civic on the A1 who's driver decided to lane change into my path (without indication) as I was overtaking them :o

Might find this vid of interest, obviously one of many on the subject

Also had a similar experience as demonstrated in the above video with the ASR again on the Corsa; got me up a snow coved hill with the standard summer tyres were other cars had given up.

Regards,

TP

Standard Elegance models don't get ESP because they don't have rear disc brakes. If you go for DSG, you also get rear discs and ESP along with it.

I don't deny the value of ESP, my Swift Sport had it, and I believe it will be standard by Euro regulation next year.

Any problem with ESP would come when a manufacturer uses it to make a poor car handle, rather than have it as a safety net (which is it's proper function IMHO ) They need to make the car handle properly first. Vauxhall and Mercedes were guilty of this. If the car is safe without ESP, you won't be in the **** if it fails.

Standard Elegance models don't get ESP because they don't have rear disc brakes. If you go for DSG, you also get rear discs and ESP along with it.

I don't deny the value of ESP, my Swift Sport had it, and I believe it will be standard by Euro regulation next year.

Any problem with ESP would come when a manufacturer uses it to make a poor car handle, rather than have it as a safety net (which is it's proper function IMHO ) They need to make the car handle properly first. Vauxhall and Mercedes were guilty of this. If the car is safe without ESP, you won't be in the **** if it fails.

Hi,

don't necessarily need disc brakes at the rear for ESP, wife's Corsa has drum's at rear and ESP and so does this Fabia FL DSG on test with AutoCZ

teskfa30_4bd54eef7bd3b.jpg

Pretty sure the FL Scout also has drums at the rear from recollection, having looked at one last week.

However I did notice that this 1.2TSI (85) also on test AutoCZ has discs at the rear and ESP Plus is listed as a fitted option :wonder: Would be nice if rear discs are standard with this set up :)

teskfa40_4be12169b4dbe.jpg

oh as an additional thought the Seat Ibiza only offers ESP Plus as an option and rear discs are standard with that package.

Regards,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

ESP Plus includes, Hill Hold Control (HHC) and Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPM) in addition to the standard ESP system functions.

Have this set up on my Yeti.

Regards,

TP

So on a Roomster Scout which already has TPM the only benefit of ESP plus would be the HHC?

According to Skoda-Auto.com: "The packets ABS Plus (ABS, MSR, Dual Rate, tyre pressure control) and ESP Plus (ESP, ABS, MSR, ASR, EDS, HBA, Dual Rate, tyre pressure monitoring, start-up assistant) are now available."

Anyone know what EDS and HBA are?

Hi,

don't necessarily need disc brakes at the rear for ESP, wife's Corsa has drum's at rear and ESP and so does this Fabia FL DSG on test with AutoCZ

I've never worked on a Corsa or Skoda with drum brakes at the rear that had ESP fitted! Are you sure you are not just thinking of EBD? Drums would not lend themselves to ESP at all well. :no: I stand corrected if this is some very new development since I left the trade.

Edited by Estate Man

Would have to polity disagree on this one from personal experience; my wife's current Corsa and I are still here thanks to the ESP system I opted for last time. Stopped me spinning out into other cars / crash barrier while trying to avoid a Honda Civic on the A1 who's driver decided to lane change into my path (without indication) as I was overtaking them :o

Might find this vid of interest, obviously one of many on the subject

Also had a similar experience as demonstrated in the above video with the ASR again on the Corsa; got me up a snow coved hill with the standard summer tyres were other cars had given up.

Regards,

TP

and this link..... even on snow... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Ug-udF4V0&feature=related...

don't know why more manufactueres dont fit it, the insurance companies say it would save a huge % of fatal accidents..... my fiat GPS has ESP as standard, And I have deliberatly "tested" it on many occations, and am constantly suprised by what it can do! (and blue & me, voice control meda system including steering wheel mounted controls, for that matter!) I paid £11k for it (discounted) brand new.... seems car prices are really going up nowadays........ I remember paying £12k for my new mark I vRS! dread to thing what that would buy of the mark II now.... the punto evo's are also stupidly inflated prices.....

I know ABS is mandatory on all new cars (long overdue too IMO) and ESP will be made mandatory soon too. I am sure that will mean the death of drum brakes on cars.

£12k gets you a Fabia S 1.2 TSI (105) DSG OR a Fabia SE 1.2 TSI (105) manual.

£12.7k gets you a Fabia SE 1.2 TSI (105) DSG

Unless you order one right now in which case you get my Elegance for less than £12k :D

have got to agree on the ESP thing here, saved my life once in a Yaris when i nearly ended up in a ditch or the side of a rather large truck which had pulled over to the side of the road to let me overtake it, just didnt see the rather large collection of gravel on the road! I hope that ESP does come standard soon and also think that more people should specify it as an option with a new car. After all, people happily pay £400+ for metallic paint on cars, £300ish for ESP seems cheap.

I looked on the euro ncap site recently and from that it appears that the only country in europe that has mandatory ESP is Austria. There are countries that the uptake of stability control systems is much higher than the uk so it seems that we are somewhat behind. Penny pinching or lack of understanding? Also there are cars in Europe that have it as an option that it is not even offered on in the UK so the manufacturers carry some of the blame too. As it is now established reliable technology that is inexpensive relative to the cost of a car it should be a mandatory fitment here too.

Guest BigJase88

traction control and esp take the fun out of driving!!

i always turn mine off as soon as i get into the car :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Just been browsing through a German equivalent to auto-trader looking at Fabia II FL's (lot's advertised over there) in different colours as you do while waiting for yours to turn up :giggle: and noted all the advertised 1.2TSI's 85 & 105 I've looked at so far appeared to have rear disc brakes and obviously ESP as they tend to fit it as standard. Whereas the 1.2 12v had drums with ESP.

So are disc brakes associated with ESP on certain models or possible date of production or even importers spec; I :wonder: if this is the same here or will have SUK stipulated drums only for the UK to reduce cost to them as a matter of course.

Will see when our TSI (85) with ESP Plus eventually turns up (end of September fingers X)

TP

edit: just found both a TDI 90 & 105 Scout with rear discs; look tiny inside 17" alloys.

Edited by The Plumber

traction control and esp take the fun out of driving!!

i always turn mine off as soon as i get into the car :thumbup:

having had to rely on ESP / ABS / traction control in anger i would never suggest people turn it off on a regular basis

by all means turn it off on a track day etc, but it is there for a reason on the road

i have had several very near misses at high speed on motorways due to vehicles changing lane without warning or looking correctly (mainly foriegn lorries ) , or another car moving out the way of a another vehicle

i have close on 30 years driving and about 700,000 miles experience so no novice but happy to have something in the kit bag to help on the very odd occassion something unexpected occurs in front of me

peter