Disabling Parking Sensors

Hi.

My sister has a 57 reg Octavia Elegenace. The car has rear parking sensors. However, she has recently started using a bike carrier and this disagrees greatly with the parking sensors. In the manual it says they can be disabled by pressing a button on the centre console marked PS. Unfortnately her car has the button but it isn't in use - you can't push it in or anything - so my question this evening is; is there another means of disactivating them?

Cheers.

Mine has front and rear sensors, with the switch on the dash to disable them..... however I think the switch is only there if the car has both front and rear sensors.

Surely its only an issue when reverse is selected with the bike rack on ?

you can disable the rear sensors by removing a fuse on the right side of the dash, check your manual to see which one it is I cant quite remember...

Yes as Swill00 points out with the carrier attached to the vehicle the sensors go off constantly anytime reverse is selected.

As her car isn't fitted with front sensors I should imagine that is why the button isn't there - the manual isn't very clear.

Hadn't considered removing the fuse, that'd work nicely.

Thanks.

Yes as Swill00 points out with the carrier attached to the vehicle the sensors go off constantly anytime reverse is selected.

As her car isn't fitted with front sensors I should imagine that is why the button isn't there - the manual isn't very clear.

Hadn't considered removing the fuse, that'd work nicely.

Thanks.

Trouble is, the fuse method isn't going to work unless you don't want to see how fast you're going, how much fuel you have left etc etc as according to my manual, fuse 6 is for the following....

Instrument cluster, Control unit for automatic gearbox,

Control unit for electromechanical power steering,

Parking aid; Haldex clutch

Bugger, that is a problem.

I suppose asking the dealer is the next best bet; but it ultimately might be a case of not being worth the effort for the gain. Which is annoying - why can't they fit switches to all this gear?!

Bugger, that is a problem.

I suppose asking the dealer is the next best bet; but it ultimately might be a case of not being worth the effort for the gain. Which is annoying - why can't they fit switches to all this gear?!

how about fitting tow bar electrics, having them coded, then when carrying bikes plug in a tow board this should disable the reversing sensors

Trouble is, the fuse method isn't going to work unless you don't want to see how fast you're going, how much fuel you have left etc etc as according to my manual, fuse 6 is for the following....

Instrument cluster, Control unit for automatic gearbox,

Control unit for electromechanical power steering,

Parking aid; Haldex clutch

Have you tried it?

mines were giving false readings on one sensor, removed fuse as I said. Steering and Instrument cluster were as normal, dont have auto so not sure about that. are you sure you arent talking about the Large fuses under the Bonnet?

the one to the right of the dash disables the sensor only. just before you get too carried away on that horse there.

Have you tried it?

mines were giving false readings on one sensor, removed fuse as I said. Steering and Instrument cluster were as normal, dont have auto so not sure about that. are you sure you arent talking about the Large fuses under the Bonnet?

the one to the right of the dash disables the sensor only. just before you get too carried away on that horse there.

Just quoting the manual... and no, that wasn't for the ones under the bonnet