Any bad points of the mk2?

Hi i've got a mk1 octavia vrs and was thinking of getting a mk2, but cant decide which vrs to go for. Just wanted to know what common faults are there and what modds would you carry out?

My eccomendation would be to just buy my vRS

Any idea of your budget? Age of car you'd be looking at?

From my experiences of recently buying one, and spending a while trawling this forum, thing to watch out for would include:

If it's 4 years or more old make sure it's had the cambelt/water pump done.

Find out if it's had the ABS/ESP ECU unit replaced (couple of recent threads on this).

Desirable interior optional bits: Jumbo box with aux-in/rear electrics and climatronic/individual A/C controls.

what do you mean by model? Estate or Hatch or Petrol or Diesel? How much are you looking to spend? Do you want a FL or a preFL car?

I went from the Mk1 VRS hatch to the PD VRS hatch (preFL) and now have the CR VRS Estate (FL).

Are you leaving the vRS club Sy, b'coz I won't talk to you if you are. :giggle:

What extra goodies will come with your beast?

fair point, i have a stage 1 remap and handset, cat back exhaust, and intake as well. they arent on the car anymore, but could beincluded i guess

looking at an ST220 for a swap

Edited by vRSy

Diverter valves are common failures unless they have been replaced and on earlier ones (green brake calipers) there is an ECU update that needs to have been done, if it hasn't then it may bring the EPC and EML on and your dealer will tell you that you need a new ECU (which you don't).

fair point, i have a stage 1 remap and handset, cat back exhaust, and intake as well. they arent on the car anymore, but could beincluded i guess

was looking at a pre fl. Would like est really for my horse sorry dog! and in blue or black. What are all these extras? jumbo box?

was looking at a pre fl. Would like est really for my horse sorry dog! and in blue or black. What are all these extras? jumbo box?

jumbo box is the cooler between the front seats with IPOD aux and climate control. this wasnt standard on 07 cars. cruisewas also a later addition

Jumbo box is just the central armrest, but it has an aux-in for an mp3 player to the stereo, the storage box is air-conditioned and has air vents for the rear passengers.

Where do you go for the update or can you just get a remap? or am i just pi**ing in the wrong direction?

The jumbo box was an option on early Mk2s but then became a free upgrade and is now standard. It is a storage box between the front seats with an Aux input for ipod etc. With this option you also got rear electric windows and climate control (without it you get wind up rears and only basic aircon). With the preFL it is also worth looking for a car with Maxidot (this is a multifunction screen which really lifts the dash on the preFL cars).

Where do you go for the update or can you just get a remap? or am i just pi**ing in the wrong direction?

The software update needs to be done at the dealer, most likely it will have been done but some cars did slip through the net.

We could tell for you and sort it out, and of course carry out the remap for you once it's sorted if it does need sorting :thumbup:

Diverter valves are common failures unless they have been replaced and on earlier ones (green brake calipers) there is an ECU update that needs to have been done, if it hasn't then it may bring the EPC and EML on and your dealer will tell you that you need a new ECU (which you don't).

About the update for the ecu where do i go and whats involved?

The software update needs to be done at the dealer, most likely it will have been done but some cars did slip through the net.

We could tell for you and sort it out, and of course carry out the remap for you once it's sorted if it does need sorting :thumbup:

thanks for all of yours help hope to get one in the next few weeks!!! Oh and how much for a remap?

dont do it !.............i drive both mk2 vrs's and st220 at work and the 220's are never off the ramps with engine problems and particularly suspension/wheel issues.the skoda's by contrast never,ever miss a beat....