rear fogs

After 2 years I still haven't found anyone to enable my second fog!!!! Stealer says it needs to be wired up!!!!!! Hmmmmm!!! I doubt it!!

Post up on here where you live and ask anyone on here if they have vag-com , to sett it. Why they aren't activated from day one I don't know!

Post up on here where you live and ask anyone on here if they have vag-com , to sett it. Why they aren't activated from day one I don't know!

I live in Birkenshaw and work in Leeds......have tried to find someone before but never got any responses on the vcds/vag-com forum

I live in Birkenshaw and work in Leeds......have tried to find someone before but never got any responses on the vcds/vag-com forum

i live in durham and would really like mine to work !

Forget the VAG.com bit. Disconnect the the wire from the non working foglight, then 'Skotchlok' a wire from the working fog to the non working one, connecting to the terminal you originally took off. Cost--a few pence. VAG.com probably £40.

VAG only fit cars with one rear fog light from new . This is applied to all VAG cars . The reason for this is that two rear fog lights can mask the visibilty of normal brake light operation. Also one single rear fog light is more than enough . Imagine how annoying it would be if drivers who don't switch off fog lights in good visiblity if they had two ! This makes a lot of sense to me.

VAG only fit cars with one rear fog light from new . This is applied to all VAG cars . The reason for this is that two rear fog lights can mask the visibilty of normal brake light operation. Also one single rear fog light is more than enough . Imagine how annoying it would be if drivers who don't switch off fog lights in good visiblity if they had two ! This makes a lot of sense to me.

I personally find it odd, having come from an Audi A6 with two working fog lights to suddenly only one.

From a distance in fog (aka the proper time to use fog lights - many people round by me need to learn that) cars with a single fog light can look like a bike rather than a car, so I much prefer two working ones.

Not as much problem as the "boy racers" round here with home-made blacked out lens covers though - can barely see any light through them!

Edited by Lemming

I've often wondered about using them if you're travelling on the continent, though. It's one thing to look like a bike in fog because of only one light... it's another to appear to be a bike on the nearside of the car, just to really rub salt into the wound! At least if you're driving on the left it's your offside that's lit.

If a vehicle slams on the brakes in fog and has 2 rear fog lights, do you not think that this could be dangerous if the rear brake light operation goes unoticed by the following vehicles ? There have been many horrendous rear end pile ups in fog that might have been reduced by drivers realising that the driver in front had applied his brakes.

If a vehicle slams on the brakes in fog and has 2 rear fog lights, do you not think that this could be dangerous if the rear brake light operation goes unoticed by the following vehicles ? There have been many horrendous rear end pile ups in fog that might have been reduced by drivers realising that the driver in front had applied his brakes.

Best answer would be to have fogs at different level to other lights to minimise confusion - like on ford focus

Interestingly, my Audi fog lights were mounted just above the numberplate (each side) so they didn't detract from the main light clusters. That and the centre high level brake light would avoid all confusion on that car.

Not so good on the Skoda really as integrated into the main light cluster could cause problems as you said...

Steve

Edited by Lemming

I'm really not sure how this could happen.

The rear fog lights as a pair could easily be mistaken for brake lights.

Surely a following vehicle is actually more likely to see the fog lights accidentally as brake light and actually brake when they don't need to?

I also find it hard to believe that any such mistake could be made - I've followed numerous vehicles with twin fog lights in the past and the brake lights are quite obvious.

Just playing devils advocate really.

If the conditions require rear fogs to be used then the conditions are dire and in that case I want maximum chance of people seeing me - two fog lights!

I'm really not sure how this could happen.

The rear fog lights as a pair could easily be mistaken for brake lights.

Surely a following vehicle is actually more likely to see the fog lights accidentally as brake light and actually brake when they don't need to?

I also find it hard to believe that any such mistake could be made - I've followed numerous vehicles with twin fog lights in the past and the brake lights are quite obvious.

Just playing devils advocate really.

If the conditions require rear fogs to be used then the conditions are dire and in that case I want maximum chance of people seeing me - two fog lights!

You obviously havn't driven in thick fog . One fog lamp is just as visible as two. To get double the visibilty you would need to double the power ( wattage) of each lamp.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

Member on here with Vag-com who is really good I have used him in Bradford is

bugOlugs's

You obviously havn't driven in thick fog . One fog lamp is just as visible as two. To get double the visibilty you would need to double the power ( wattage) of each lamp.

As a regular fog driver on valleys roads...

Two fog lamps are just as effective in fog as two rear side lights are in normal night driving. I find it amazing that for safe visibility in low light you need the 2 lights (legally) but it doesn't apply to fog lights.

They also give a much better indication of what vehicle you are approaching - 1 for a bike, 2 for a car, 2 slightly higher / wider apart for a larger vehicle etc.

As to the collision risk, You simply shouldn't be that close to the car in front as to miss deceleration. I (like many drivers) use the gears and engine braking to slow my car unless the situation actually demands I apply the brake. In that situation my brake lights simply don't come on.

Bottom line is that most crashes in fog are due to bad driving - going too fast for the conditions/visibility. 1 or 2 fog lights is extremely unlikely to alter this either way.

Steve

• Like 1

As a regular fog driver on valleys roads...

Two fog lamps are just as effective in fog as two rear side lights are in normal night driving. I find it amazing that for safe visibility in low light you need the 2 lights (legally) but it doesn't apply to fog lights.

They also give a much better indication of what vehicle you are approaching - 1 for a bike, 2 for a car, 2 slightly higher / wider apart for a larger vehicle etc.

As to the collision risk, You simply shouldn't be that close to the car in front as to miss deceleration. I (like many drivers) use the gears and engine braking to slow my car unless the situation actually demands I apply the brake. In that situation my brake lights simply don't come on.

Bottom line is that most crashes in fog are due to bad driving - going too fast for the conditions/visibility. 1 or 2 fog lights is extremely unlikely to alter this either way.

Steve

You should treat one fog light as any vehicle unless you can see the outline of the vehicle . You certainly can't assume that because you can't see the out line and only one fog is visible it's a bike. Also you can't assume that because you think the fog lamps are wider or higher it's a lorry , it might be tractor going at 5 mph or a car thats a lot nearer than you thought going up a hill. Fog lights are there to give an indication of a vehicle before you see the vehicle outline. It's also irresponsible not to use your brake lights to slow down in fog to warn drivers behind. I certainly would not use my gears and engine braking to slow down in foggy conditions for fear of someone might be going too fast behind me and wouldn't see any brake lights ..

You should treat one fog light as any vehicle unless you can see the outline of the vehicle . You certainly can't assume that because you can't see the out line and only one fog is visible it's a bike. Also you can't assume that because you think the fog lamps are wider or higher it's a lorry , it might be tractor going at 5 mph or a car thats a lot nearer than you thought going up a hill. Fog lights are there to give an indication of a vehicle before you see the vehicle outline.

Very true, hence I try to drive at speeds and distances suitable for the conditions. Also why I am surprised 2 side lights are required and not 2 fog lights as they serve the exact same purpose.

Personally I drive defensively - if you assume everyone else on the road is stupid/dangerous you don't get surprised!

I have had a total of 3 accidents in 18 years of driving, all of which were cars driving into me. It certainly makes me wary of other road users.

Anyway, hope my posts haven't caused offense as they were not intended to, just my personal thoughts/opinions.

Steve (edit to shorten my ramblings)

Edited by Lemming

I don't doubt vwcabriolet1971's viewpoint, and I haven't stood behind my Octy with the fog lights on and pushed the brake pedal to check (my legs aren't that long, for a start), but... I would have thought that having a fog light anywhere that masks the operation of the brake light would be against construction and use regulations, surely? It's definitely an MOT failure, since stop lamps cannot be "adversely affected by the operation of another lamp".

So, surely Skoda has a problem if even the single fog light masks the neighbouring brake light - whether there's a second or not?

I don't doubt vwcabriolet1971's viewpoint, and I haven't stood behind my Octy with the fog lights on and pushed the brake pedal to check (my legs aren't that long, for a start), but... I would have thought that having a fog light anywhere that masks the operation of the brake light would be against construction and use regulations, surely? It's definitely an MOT failure, since stop lamps cannot be "adversely affected by the operation of another lamp".

So, surely Skoda has a problem if even the single fog light masks the neighbouring brake light - whether there's a second or not?

When I said "masks" I meant that because of the brightness of fog lights, that the application of the brake lights might not be seen ( or be "masked") because of the brightness of the fog light . Obviously this would only happen in thick fog . If two bright fog lights are on and a further two ( brake lights) are switched on they all tend to be covered by the overall "haze" of brightness and it is difficult to discern which light is which. With only one fog light at least one brake operation light when it is applied should be noticeable.

The Octavia that I owned previously from new, was an 05 model, and it came with 2 rear fog lights, both of which worked. Then when I switched to an 07 passat estate, this car came with only 1 rear fog light, and 1 reversing light.

My current superb estate, is back to 2 rear fog lights, and 2 reversing lights, again all working. All these cars were irish spec, so maybe in the case of both skodas these lights are set up to both work, either from factory, or from pdi.

When I said "masks" I meant that because of the brightness of fog lights, that the application of the brake lights might not be seen ( or be "masked") because of the brightness of the fog light . Obviously this would only happen in thick fog . If two bright fog lights are on and a further two ( brake lights) are switched on they all tend to be covered by the overall "haze" of brightness and it is difficult to discern which light is which. With only one fog light at least one brake operation light when it is applied should be noticeable.

I think the Road Lighting Regulations say that the brake lights and fog lights must be at least 100mm apart (about 4 inches), obviously to differentiate between them, but if there's only a single fog light then it must be positioned either in the centre or right of centre again maintaining the same distance from a brake light. On the Octy it varies between 100mm and 115am. A check of the regulation would clarify the situation.

Mac