rear fogs

If you rely on the brake lights of the car in front then you are too close.

Regardless of the brake lights being confused for the fog lights modern cars now have the high level third brake light so I can't understand how'd you'd miss them unless your not paying proper attention.

If the conditions are bad enough to warrant rear fogs you should be extra aware and increase the gap between you and the car in front significantly.

I had my local Skoda dealer enable my second rear fog light on my 2008 Scout free of charge during a service as I only use them when absolutely required and feel two improve the chances of me been seen by those who do not drive for the conditions.

The gap between the brake and fog lights given the Octavia's rear light cluster design couldn't be any further away...

RearLightCluster.jpg

If you rely on the brake lights of the car in front then you are too close.

Regardless of the brake lights being confused for the fog lights modern cars now have the high level third brake light so I can't understand how'd you'd miss them unless your not paying proper attention.

If the conditions are bad enough to warrant rear fogs you should be extra aware and increase the gap between you and the car in front significantly.

I had my local Skoda dealer enable my second rear fog light on my 2008 Scout free of charge during a service as I only use them when absolutely required and feel two improve the chances of me been seen by those who do not drive for the conditions.

The gap between the brake and fog lights given the Octavia's rear light cluster design couldn't be any further away...

RearLightCluster.jpg

[/quote

There are a lot of vehicles without high level brake lights on the road ( e.g. vans & convertibles as well as older vehicles) and also the brightness of these is far less than the normal brake lights.]

Agree that if conditions are bad we should extend our distances but a lot of drivers don't ( have you ever been in thick fog and see cars pass you at 60+ mph ?)

The gap between the Octavias' rear lights would be difficult to see in really thick fog. Any help in giving an early clear indication of the fact the car in front is braking has to be a help.

A lot of drivers now put on hazard warning lights as well as brake lights if braking hard to a standstill on the motorway. If you happen to be "tail end charlie" this makes a lot of sense. ( 1 was rear-ended whilst stationary in a town traffic queue in broad daylight and car was write-off ) . I understand that some german car makers are to include this hazard warning light use for heavy braking in new car designs .

Having two rear fog lights instead of one doesn't increase the visible difference by a factor of two it merely gives a better spread of light. In the same way as an oncoming car with one headlight is just as visible as a two car head lamps.

Most people put rear fogs on when there's no need . If you can clearly see a vehicles normal lights on for say 400 metres + in front then there's no need for fogs. Even worse they forget to switch them off !

I think the old low central high power fog light was better than the current lower intensity lights but of course it doesn't fit in with current aesthetics. Also a lot of drivers were damaging them when reversing. Similary the old high power single low reversing lights could be used for seeing where you going when in reverse, but now about the only use they are, is to inform other drivers you are reversing.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

Just goes to show how good the Octavia is...

1) The car allows its owner to choose between one or two rear fogs.

2) The front and rear fogs have to be turned on each time the headlights are turned off and then back on minimising the chances of them being accidentally left on.

3) The hazard lights automatically activate under extreme braking (so I'm told, I've never had mine come on).

4) The high level third brake light uses LED technology which from what I've seen illuminates faster and appear brighter than halogen bulbs.

5) There are eight rear tail /night light bulbs.

6) The gap between the brake and fog lights is maximised.

Edited by silver1011

3) The hazard lights automatically activate under extreme braking (so I'm told, I've never had mine come on).

I don't think you can brake hard enough to active them. According to the manual, they activate if any of the air bags deploy.

I don't think you can brake hard enough to active them. According to the manual, they activate if any of the air bags deploy.

I've managed it, but you need to be braking hard enough to cause the ABS to kick in

1) The car allows its owner to choose between one or two rear fogs.

No o nthe FL it doesn't. I don't know of anyone who's managed to get both rear fog lights enabled on a FaceLifted car

Seems strange to remove a feature that has been present on the Octavia for some years now.

Nothing a scotch block and a length of wire wouldn't cure if you want two rear fogs that badly :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I own a new Octavia vRS, collected June this year. I asked the dealer, Palmers Skoda Watford, if they could activate the second rear fog.

They tried but couldn't make it work. They called Skoda technical who told them it is not possible for vehicles after a 58 plate.

I would really like to have the second fog activated so if anyone knows how it can be done and the proceedure could they post it here please.

BTW - Very, very pleased with my vRS and the service and support from Palmers was excellent.

Regards

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys,

I'd love to help but I'm out in Germany and have no contacts with a VCDS.:S

I definately don't want to tease you all, as I myself have had help as well when needed. I just want to let you all know that this is still possible on FL models.:)

I own a new Octavia vRS, collected June this year. I asked the dealer, Palmers Skoda Watford, if they could activate the second rear fog.

They tried but couldn't make it work. They called Skoda technical who told them it is not possible for vehicles after a 58 plate.

Simon,

This feature was definately not discontinued after a 58 plate.

I asked at the local garage, where they did it for me, when I exported it to Germany in December. They told me it was pretty simple to do. Any dealer should be able to do it with the latest dealer hardware/software that they use.

The standard answer of it can't be done anymore, unfortunately sounds like a typical answer of ignorance . :wall:

My car was not a stock car. It took 13 weeks to be delivered and was built to my individual spec in week 38 last year as a UK RHD. I needed the other fog light activating for Germany to be road legal here. Now rear fog lights both work.:thumbup:

Most manufacturers do it.

Some believe one fog light enables the brake lights to be more easily recognised.

I disagree, especially on the Octavia and as a result have both enabled :thumbup:

It may also be a legal requirement in some countries?

My dealer/salesperson said they could not activate the second fog it is only for the continental models, i will wait for the next North East Meet which i believe is sunday 19th sept and see if can get it sorted then.

Sorry guys,

I'd love to help but I'm out in Germany and have no contacts with a VCDS.:S

I definately don't want to tease you all, as I myself have had help as well when needed. I just want to let you all know that this is still possible on FL models.:)

Gers, when you have the possibility to make a full scan, please post long coding of 09 BCM. Thanks.

My dealer/salesperson said they could not activate the second fog it is only for the continental models, i will wait for the next North East Meet which i believe is sunday 19th sept and see if can get it sorted then.

it's easy. There is a guide somewhere. both mine work now.

• 3 years later...

Gers,

I am also in Germany in Gutersloh, I have tried at least 3 dealers to try and get both fogs turned on.

They all tell me they can't do it, it has to be either right or left. Can you tell me where abouts you got yours done so I can go there, as I think it's a case of they don't know how. I have a feb 2013 FL Vrs black line.

Sorry guys,

I'd love to help but I'm out in Germany and have no contacts with a VCDS.http://ww1.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/emoticon-0124-worried.gif

I definately don't want to tease you all, as I myself have had help as well when needed. I just want to let you all know that this is still possible on FL models.http://ww1.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Simon,

This feature was definately not discontinued after a 58 plate.

I asked at the local garage, where they did it for me, when I exported it to Germany in December. They told me it was pretty simple to do. Any dealer should be able to do it with the latest dealer hardware/software that they use.

The standard answer of it can't be done anymore, unfortunately sounds like a typical answer of ignorance . http://ww1.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

My car was not a stock car. It took 13 weeks to be delivered and was built to my individual spec in week 38 last year as a UK RHD. I needed the other fog light activating for Germany to be road legal here. Now rear fog lights both work.http://ww1.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/emoticon-0148-yes.gif