Stone Chipping

dobbie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wakev,

I have just bought the rear door protective film from my supplying dealer. No written fitting instructions included. Asked parts guy and salesman how to fit and they said SELF ADHESIVE to DRY PANEL which seems to conflict with your advice of using soapy water like when applying transfers to a model.

Can't afford to get it wrong at £33 a pop ! Hope you don't feel offended , I'm not challenging you but would you mind re-affirming that the wet approach is right and that the film folds round the door edge. Thanks for your trouble and I'm sure every Yeti owner will be interested to read your reply so that they too can fix the problem.

hi with mine i made sure the area was free of any tar bugs then i mixed a very small amount of washing up liquid with half a liter of water in a small sprayer lightly sprayed the area + some.

then take the foil off the protective backing place on the door it will slide about to get it just in the right place.

down the the back of the foils you will see little cuts line the inner ends up with the back of the door then smooth out the air bubbles witch will also get some moisture out and they start to stay put .

the final part is to fold the rear edge around the door witch is the only part to be applied dry.

i would not try to do this dry because off the door shape it would be very difficult .

mine are still on and stuck fast

PS don't do it under a tree i got 1 small grain of pollen under one of mine good luck its not as bad as it sounds

Edited by wakev

• 4 months later...

I have been following with interest the threads on Briskoda regarding some members suffering damage to Yeti rear doors through stone chipping etc, and the provision of protective door “Foils†- now a standard fit on all models!, (No doubt brought about by the many comments here on Briskoda) to eradicate the problem.

I finally felt that it was time I protected our SM! So I called our local dealership and ordered the two Foils at a cost of £34.03 including VAT. When I picked them up, the parts manager kindly printed off a set of fitting instructions and gave me some additional tips on the fitting process. I have reproduced them here as a PDF file so that anyone else who decides that they will do the same, has the benefit of the official Skoda fitting instructions. I have also posted this thread in the SKODA YETI TECHNICAL GUIDES section.

I hope they are of help to fellow SM owners - Stay Safe and Happy Motoring emoticon-0144-nod.gif

With thanks to all those that have posted information on the problem.................................THE GREAT YETI

Edited 02/12/2010 with link to new PDF detailing additional fitting tips...........

Edited 18/12/2010 with additional pictures showing the Foils fitted........

Edited by Great Yeti

I have been following with interest the threads on Briskoda regarding some members suffering damage to Yeti rear doors through stone chipping etc, and the provision of protective door “Foils†- now a standard fit on all models!, (No doubt brought about by the many comments here on Briskoda) to eradicate the problem.

I finally felt that it was time I protected our SM! So I called our local dealership and ordered the two Foils at a cost of £34.03 including VAT. When I picked them up, the parts manager kindly printed off a set of fitting instructions and gave me some additional tips on the fitting process. I have reproduced them here as a PDF file so that anyone else who decides that they will do the same, has the benefit of the official Skoda fitting instructions. I have also posted this thread in the SKODA YETI TECHNICAL GUIDES section.

I hope they are of help to fellow SM owners - Stay Safe and Happy Motoring emoticon-0144-nod.gif

With thanks to all those that have posted information on the problem.................................THE GREAT YETI

A very useful guide! Thanks for taking the time. :thumbup:

Hello .

Further to this topic. if anyone is interested please look at the post (conformation of build dates at last) posted by myself on 20 Nov.I have mentioned this problem and the possible solution provided by Skoda UK!!!!

The topic is 2 or 3 pages in on the yeti forum.

Hope this helps a little

When I have done this on mobile phones etc. the instructions said spray some of the liquid on your fingers as well. Stops fingerprints on the sticky side of the foils when you are peeling off the backing (when the foil is dry).

tom

When I have done this on mobile phones etc. the instructions said spray some of the liquid on your fingers as well. Stops fingerprints on the sticky side of the foils when you are peeling off the backing (when the foil is dry).

tom

Good Tip - makes sense! I will try it when I do mine...Thank you emoticon-0148-yes.gif

THE GREAT YETI

emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Thanks to Great Yeti for the PDF regarding Rear Door Foil application. I had mine " professionally applied " and paid for the priviledge. I'm sure that armed with the info given here I could have done a better job. The consolation for me is that further damage has been prevented.

I have to say that the cases I've read on this subject make me feel that you are very lucky in the UK over these protective foils. :(

I wanted these fitted before I took delivery of my SM, but the dealer managed to completely obfuscate the matter (in the extreme!) And three other dealers have proven that they don't know their "a" from their "e" as far as these foils are concerned!

Now, after a month of waiting - and with the involvement of SKODA CZ, I still await to hear how I am going to get them, even though they (Skoda HQ) tell me they are in stock in France. :(

Meanwhile, of course, every time I drive my SM I'm fearful of the damage that might be happening when I drive over a rough patch or have to drive on the edge of our country roads - which is almost a daily occurrence. :(

If it wasn't for Skoda CZ telling me that they would supply, I would have had them by now, as James of Allams was prepared to post them to me. :(

However, here's one thing that might be useful to other Yeti owners ...

Skoda CZ told me the following:

At the moment there is substitution for these parts and the revised parts number are 5L0 807 905C and 5L0 807 906C.
Edited by allena

I have to say that the cases I've read on this subject make me feel that you are very lucky in the UK over these protective foils. :(

I wanted these fitted before I took delivery of my SM, but the dealer managed to completely obfuscate the matter (in the extreme!) And three other dealers have proven that they don't know their "a" from their "e" as far as these foils are concerned!

Now, after a month of waiting - and with the involvement of SKODA CZ, I still await to hear how I am going to get them, even though they (Skoda HQ) tell me they are in stock in France. :(

Meanwhile, of course, every time I drive my SM I'm fearful of the damage that might be happening when I drive over a rough patch or have to drive on the edge of our country roads - which is almost a daily occurrence. :(

If it wasn't for Skoda CZ telling me that they would supply, I would have had them by now, as James of Allams was prepared to post them to me. :(

Do we know what 'substitution' means in this context?

Sorry to hear of the problem getting the foils, all I did was get the part numbers from wakev's post number 9 above, gave them to our dealer, and he had them next day! They seem to have changed the part number by one digit, from a 'B' to 'C' only.

Do we know what 'substitution' means in this context?

I spoke with the lady at Skoda on the 'phone about 10 days ago, and she assured me that there was no difference - but couldn't explain why the change of the suffix letter.

This image might be of interest. I understand it is from an ETKA page.

yetifoilsdetail.jpg

Just as a note: my week 44 build car did NOT come with these foils. So I have to get them done somehow pretty soon...

Mine DID..... ! Can't explain why though. :giggle:

Edited by bilun777

Mine DID..... ! Can't explain why though. :giggle:

Erata: doh. I remembered at night to check and felt too high up the door and thought there was nothing. But today in the snow I saw them!!!! Doh. So I do have foils!!!

tom

Hi Sanqhar. Big thanks for the suggestion!!! It worked a treat!!! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The Foils are extremely sticky and trying to apply them without wetting the door surface AND YOUR HANDS, as per your suggestion, would have been a nightmare!!!

Anyway, job done and they look just like they were applied at the factory. Thanks again and I will include your suggestion in the PDF file that details the fitting instructions as soon as I can if that's OK........

THE GREAT YETI

emoticon-0144-nod.gif

My dealer - Robert Eardley & son of Stoke, re-sprayed the doors and fitted the foils under warranty (new in September 2010). I sent them some photos of the damage by e-mail and they liaised with Skoda. They also gave me a loan car for 3 days! Pays to support your local dealer! There appears to be an official claim number; TPI 2024082/2. Nice people to do business with :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone who has a photo of these fitted, show what the foils look like at the back edge of the door (that's the vertical edge) please? I'd be very grateful.

Hi Allena, here are the photographs that I have just taken for you so you can see how they are on the inside edge of the door............................

The first image shows the whole of the door edge and the second is a close-up where you can see more clearly the fitting of the Foil to the rear edge of the door.

If you read the PDF I did ( SKODA YETI - Fitting Rear Door Foils PDF ) you will see that when I fitted them, I allowed a 10mm overhang, not the 5mm as detailed on the Skoda fitting instructions. This was so that the foil wraps around the door edge and adherers to the first 5mm UP the inside! I checked out a factory fitted YETI and my installation looks exactly the same as the factory fitted Foils in this respect. I suspect that the instruction regarding the 5mm overhang is not what they are doing at the factory! Anyway hope this helps...............................

THE GREAT YETI

emoticon-0144-nod.gif

EDIT: Additional pictures added to original PDF showing the Foils fitted

Edited by Great Yeti

Hmm...

I bought a set of rear door protective films and have got some silly little things that cover part of the door shaped wheel arch bit and certainly don't wrap round.

Are there two different sorts?

I am thinking these ones I've got can't be right ??? :o

Hmm...

I bought a set of rear door protective films and have got some silly little things that cover part of the door shaped wheel arch bit and certainly don't wrap round.

Are there two different sorts?

I am thinking these ones I've got can't be right ??? :o

Part Nos:

K5L0807905B – Left (or Near Side) Foil - may also be supplied with the suffix: C

K5L0807906B – Right (or Off Side) Foil - may also be supplied with the suffix: C

THE GREAT YETI

emoticon-0144-nod.gif

@ Great Yeti: Thank you very much for the images. Have sent you a message.

Thank you Allena.....................Email with more pictures etc on it's way.......................Tony (aka THE GREAT YETI) emoticon-0144-nod.gifemoticon-transport-003.gif