Does Maxi Dot display speed in MPH instead of KPH

philisa1

Does anyone know this?

I've got a 1.2 DSG Elegance.

The Maxi Dot displays the speed I am travelling in in kilometres/hour.

Is there anyway to change it to show the speed in miles/hour?

Does anyone know this?

I've got a 1.2 DSG Elegance.

The Maxi Dot displays the speed I am travelling in in kilometres/hour.

Is there anyway to change it to show the speed in miles/hour?

If Maxi dot in the Yeti is the same as the Roomsters (Seems to be a standard UK version for all models) then the answer to your question is no. See the Roomster topics. http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/165919-new-roomster/

JDW

Edited by JDW

No it cannot be changed, EU legislation states that UK speedos must show both MPH and KMH. Since the actual speedo only has MPH on it, skoda decided to add the KMH display to the maxidot.

Its the same on the Superb2 and FL Octy2 as well.

No it cannot be changed, EU legislation states that UK speedos must show both MPH and KMH. Since the actual speedo only has MPH on it, skoda decided to add the KMH display to the maxidot.

Its the same on the Superb2 and FL Octy2 as well.

I really would be grateful if you show me that UK law, its a EU directive and not UK law. Skoda decided to remove the selection of this from the menu, with the new silk screens for UK speedo's on certain models but the argument don't hold water has the EU directive on DRL has now been agreed by the UK parliament and Skoda decided to remove the facility on the 2010 April, which would have been sensible to include this facility on the new facelift build. See Roomster topics there are directions to the UK government legislation and traffic laws. Skoda UK has got it wrong. Seems nothing much changes.

JDW

Thanks for the reply.

That's a shame - would have been a useful addition.

It really would have been, hopefully there may be a way of getting that part of the menu back, will put it on the Roomster topics if it is at all possible.

JDW

Seems a stupid law (directive?) to insist that a misleading speed is shown on the Maxidot. What relevance is kph on UK roads?

I often use the Maxidot speed display when setting cruise control, and have to think twice what the speed limits are in kph to set the cruise control. I would expect laws to make driving easier and safer, not harder and more dangerous.

50kph = 30mph

100kph = 60mph

120kph = 70mph verified on my GPS

Edited by tarbat

Its because a lot of us down here in the south of the UK travel into Europe frequently, and I guess the same would be true of those to the west and Eire where they are now using KMH. Without a KMH display driving abroad would be challenging.

There maybe a way to change it, by reprogramming it to say that the car is one from another EU country. However this would switch all the other readings to KMs (Mileage and trip distance particularly) and you may lose other functionality as well which is not required or illegal in other markets.

I would expect laws to make driving easier and safer, not harder and more dangerous.

Concur totally. Except this is not law but a cost cutting exercise that has back fired on Skoda UK.

JDW

Edited by JDW

Its because a lot of us down here in the south of the UK travel into Europe frequently, and I guess the same would be true of those to the west and Eire where they are now using KMH. Without a KMH display driving abroad would be challenging.

There maybe a way to change it, by reprogramming it to say that the car is one from another EU country. However this would switch all the other readings to KMs (Mileage and trip distance particularly) and you may lose other functionality as well which is not required or illegal in other markets.

My better half is French and travels to Paris and Burgundy or should I say commutes on a regular basis. She also translates specifications from the VAG group into French. The trip and speedometer are separate from the Maxi dot. Trust me there is no reason other than cost cutting for this change. I would have thought that being able to change the the speed indication to the country you are in is a far better than having two differing speed indications. Personally I use Tomtom set to Kmph, never use the vehicles speed indicators as they are up to -10% inaccurate full scale. 4MPH out at a true 70MPH.

However the New Roomster has other issues with the dash board because of this change (tampering), which may not be relevant to the Yeti. Sorry to go on but the total BS from Skoda UK has really peeved me.

JDW

There is, however, that option "Alt. speed dis." in the "Setup" menu which shows the speed in mph in addition to the one in kph. It's not the same (rather smaller font size), but could be helpful, if you feel more comfortable with digital readouts.

I suggest the real problem is the redesign of the speedometer in Skodas over the past few years. My 2006 Octavia has a beautifully clear speedometer with speeds shown in both MPH and KPH. It also shows speeds every 10 MPH up to 80, then every 20 MPH. I have found this an excellent design for use both in the UK and when drviving in Europe (although then I also use a TomTom set to KPH).

But a few years ago, when the Octavia was facelifted, some idiot decided to update the looks of the speedometer, removing the KPH markers as well as the important 30, 50 and 70 MPH markers! This was clearly not a redesign that was based on user's needs, and makes me very reluctant to replace my present car with an inferior updated version.

Chris

There is, however, that option "Alt. speed dis." in the "Setup" menu which shows the speed in mph in addition to the one in kph. It's not the same (rather smaller font size), but could be helpful, if you feel more comfortable with digital readouts.

The menu has been changed on the Roomster from the handbook. http://www.facebook....100001234490515

JDW

Edited by JDW

I suggest the real problem is the redesign of the speedometer in Skodas over the past few years. My 2006 Octavia has a beautifully clear speedometer with speeds shown in both MPH and KPH. It also shows speeds every 10 MPH up to 80, then every 20 MPH. I have found this an excellent design for use both in the UK and when drviving in Europe (although then I also use a TomTom set to KPH).

But a few years ago, when the Octavia was facelifted, some idiot decided to update the looks of the speedometer, removing the KPH markers as well as the important 30, 50 and 70 MPH markers! This was clearly not a redesign that was based on user's needs, and makes me very reluctant to replace my present car with an inferior updated version.

Chris

This subject has been discussed here before, with all the same conclusions, and I suspect it will again in the future.

I feel it is crass stupidity that the three most enforced speed limits in the UK are not indicated on the Skoda speedometer, ie 30mph, 50mph & 70mph.

When I tackled Skoda UK's Head Office customer help line on this topic (from a road safety viewpoint) the response was that the intermediate speed indications had been omitted "to aid clarity" and fit in with EU requirements. What tosh! They've been omitted purely as a design statement.

It just proves how pathetic the road safety legislators are in the UK when they can let manufacturers get away with this. It wouldn't have been so bad if the batons for these 3 intermediate speeds had been picked out in red.

I even took up the matter with the Dept of Transport (or whatever they call themselves this week), because VAG are not the only guilty party. The response? "We cannot force manufacturers to show the omitted speeds as this is controlled by EU legislation to which we have to adhere". I give up!!! :S

Oh, and I cant persuade my Maxidot to display MPH instead of Kph, despite bi1bo's suggestion above either!

Edited by speedsport

Pleased to see in the news this week that 'Revenue' (safety) cameras might get the axe due to the Government funding issues :party: Fed up with trying to concentrate on reading my speedo rather than watching were I'm going :rofl:

Oh has anyone else come across a 35mph speed limit; found my first one on the A5 in North Wales :wonder:

TP

Pleased to see in the news this week that 'Revenue' (safety) cameras might get the axe due to the Government funding issues :party: Fed up with trying to concentrate on reading my speedo rather than watching were I'm going :rofl:

Oh has anyone else come across a 35mph speed limit; found my first one on the A5 in North Wales :wonder:

TP

35mph? well SM drivers have a cat's chance in hell of keeping precisely to that given that our speedometers only show 10mph increments! May we assume that some jobsworth who doesn't drive has taken a kph speed & converted it to mph to get the signs made?

Ah, it's just occurred to me... 35 mph is 56 kph. Has someone got the conversion the wrong way round? 56mph is the normal governed speed for HGV's. But then of course, HGV's are limited to 40mph on single carriageways, so perhaps my theory is no good!

Edited by speedsport

35mph? well SM drivers have a cat's chance in hell of keeping precisely to that given that our speedometers only show 10mph increments! May we assume that some jobsworth who doesn't drive has taken a kph speed & converted it to mph to get the signs made?

Ah, it's just occurred to me... 35 mph is 56 kph. Has someone got the conversion the wrong way round? 56mph is the normal governed speed for HGV's. But then of course, HGV's are limited to 40mph on single carriageways, so perhaps my theory is no good!

Its not 3 points on said jobsworths license but ours.

JDW

That's really good news. How do I enable the "Alt. speed dis." option. I've searched through the "Setup" menu and still can't find it.

That's really good news. How do I enable the "Alt. speed dis." option. I've searched through the "Setup" menu and still can't find it.

The person posting that is from Bulgaria and his car has LHD menus thus you won't find that menu setting on your RHD car. LHD cars can have MPH or KPH in this display. It is only RHD cars that can ONLY have KPH alas.

The person posting that is from Bulgaria and his car has LHD menus thus you won't find that menu setting on your RHD car. LHD cars can have MPH or KPH in this display. It is only RHD cars that can ONLY have KPH alas.

I'm speaking about the option described on p. 26 in the owner's manual. When activated, it shows the speed in MPH below the speed in KPH -- if I remember correctly just above the outside temperature -- and with temperature's font size. So, it's really small and not that convenient, but better than nothing, still.

However, it just came to me that it must be indeed an option available only on LHD vehicles -- because their speedometer is marked only in KPH, and if you were to drive in UK, you'd find it very hard to calculate the MPH speed otherwise.

Ah, sorry to hear that it has been deactivated on UK vehicles... Come to think of it, I wonder if it's possible to activate it via VCDS. :wonder:

However, it just came to me that it must be indeed an option available only on LHD vehicles -- because their speedometer is marked only in KPH, and if you were to drive in UK, you'd find it very hard to calculate the MPH speed otherwise.

:

It's not that hard to multiply by 1.6 to get to kmh - or in our cases to divide by 1.6 either.to et mph from a metric speedometer.

It's not that hard to multiply by 1.6 to get to kmh - or in our cases to divide by 1.6 either.to et mph from a metric speedometer.

I wouldn't say its exactly easy either -- at least not when you're at the wheel and have better things to concentrate on. Of course, if you do such driving regularly, it is, indeed, likely to become almost automatic action.