Particulate filter

Hey guys. I've a 72,000 mile 07 plate Octavia VRS PD Diesel, apparently the particulate filter is screwed. I'm waiting on a response from Skoda in that I dont think this part should have failed within 3 years but my query is if I can bypass this fault cheaply? Can I get a new part of the exhaust to bypass this eg performance exhaust? Cheers

Stu

its not that simple to bypass and the DPF is considered to be a consumable part just like the rest of the exhaust system. Mileage is not the cause of DPF failure, its driving style that leads to the failure of the DPF. They dont like constant short trips, or trips where the average speed is low. If you read the manual you need to make regular trips of some length at reasonable speed to keep the dpf clear.

it can be bypassed, but the car will need to have the dpf mapped out after the dpf is removed othersise you will be stuck in limp mode as the sensors in the exhaust will think the dpf is still broken. Two compainies now offer this service, our own sponsor Shark Performance and JBS autodesigns can sell you a new downpipe and reprograme the ECU to remove the dpf. The remap and downpipe are not cheap though.

its not that simple to bypass and the DPF is considered to be a consumable part just like the rest of the exhaust system. Mileage is not the cause of DPF failure, its driving style that leads to the failure of the DPF. They dont like constant short trips, or trips where the average speed is low. If you read the manual you need to make regular trips of some length at reasonable speed to keep the dpf clear.

it can be bypassed, but the car will need to have the dpf mapped out after the dpf is removed othersise you will be stuck in limp mode as the sensors in the exhaust will think the dpf is still broken. Two compainies now offer this service, our own sponsor Shark Performance and JBS autodesigns can sell you a new downpipe and reprograme the ECU to remove the dpf. The remap and downpipe are not cheap though.

I had similar discussion with the Superb & yes the DPF is "a filter" & therefore a consumable, its just a fortune compared to the oil & air filters. When you finally get the quote removing & remapping may make economic sense as well as improving the performance & mpg.

Im not sure but Jabba may also offer the service, I know they do for the PD140

Just an update guys, went to main dealer in Oxford and they had to de-gunge the throttle body and breather pipes, replace a faulty sensor and hey presto the DPF regenerated!! Cost me £269 which was a lot better than the £1150 I was quoted for a new DPF.

Just an update guys, went to main dealer in Oxford and they had to de-gunge the throttle body and breather pipes, replace a faulty sensor and hey presto the DPF regenerated!! Cost me £269 which was a lot better than the £1150 I was quoted for a new DPF.

:thumbup: Phew!!! I bet you're happy with that!?!

Niall

I think you will find that the life of the dpf is in fact mileage related. It works by initiating combustion of the collected soot particles, using engine fuel. Over a period of time, repeated regenerations, (bonfires), result in a build up of ASH in the filter.

There is no way of getting rid of the ash and eventually the quantity of ash is so great that the dpf will no longer work and you will need to buy a new one. According to the AA, this can be up to a thousand quid, depending on the make of vehicle.

The whole sytem is quite utterly insane and I shan't be buying another diesel until this crazy idea has been dropped. The motor trade; although they won't tell you, because they want you to buy cars, are in fact tearing their hair out.

All I can say is, that if you think my comments are daft - just do some research !!!!

I think you will find that the life of the dpf is in fact mileage related. It works by initiating combustion of the collected soot particles, using engine fuel. Over a period of time, repeated regenerations, (bonfires), result in a build up of ASH in the filter.

There is no way of getting rid of the ash and eventually the quantity of ash is so great that the dpf will no longer work and you will need to buy a new one. According to the AA, this can be up to a thousand quid, depending on the make of vehicle.

The whole sytem is quite utterly insane and I shan't be buying another diesel until this crazy idea has been dropped. The motor trade; although they won't tell you, because they want you to buy cars, are in fact tearing their hair out.

All I can say is, that if you think my comments are daft - just do some research !!!!

Mmm

I think that bout sums it up !

Theres a great trade in removal developing though :thumbup:

I don't say they are daft but this AA article doesn't really mention ash build up: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Looking at the VW advice here: http://www.circleleasing.com/pdfs/VW%20DPF.pdf it is clear that they are saying replacement may be required if the warning lights are not heeded as the filter gets too clogged with soot, not ash?

I have read that some DPFs use a catalyst fluid and these do require the dpf to be replaced due to ash, but do the VW diesels fall into this category?

Here's something from the Volvo owners club site:

"The fuel additive, whilst promoting regeneration to burn off soot particles, leaves a small ash residue which cannot be burnt off. It is therefore necessary to replace DPFs requiring the fuel additive at the 75,000 mile service interval.

Where the additive is not required, there is no need to change the DPF for the lifetime of the car, provided that regeneration is carried out as required."

All that being said, glad I'm getting a Petrol!

Edited by juan27

We don't use pipes, rather remove the internals from the DPF to leave the factory look intact :thumbup:

That means you loose the option to refit. At some point Im guessing the MOT will change & cars that originally had a dpf will need to burn clean. At present all diesels are tested the same so removal isnt a problem. I agree you can always get an MOT somewhere but having the option to revert is always a nice idea

Edited by Stuart_J

That means you loose the option to refit. At some point Im guessing the MOT will change & cars that originally had a dpf will need to burn clean. At present all diesels are tested the same so removal isnt a problem. I agree you can always get an MOT somewhere but having the option to revert is always a nice idea

Surely the DPF without its internals is in effect a pipe? If it needs replacing anyway you'd need a new one to "refit" and surely that just replaces the disembowelled one?

Surely the DPF without its internals is in effect a pipe? If it needs replacing anyway you'd need a new one to "refit" and surely that just replaces the disembowelled one?

Yes but if you take it off without damage and store it, replacing it with a pipe, then should you need to put it back on the cost is labour only as opposed to the cost of a new part and labour to fit.

Yep but the cost is huge, the superb was rumoured to be £600, if you read Nialls other post he was quoted 1150 for the Octy, I guess that included labour though, either way a lot to find if the legislators & tree huggers force you to put it back on, a fair enough mod though if the original is broken

Yes but if you take it off without damage and store it, replacing it with a pipe, then should you need to put it back on the cost is labour only as opposed to the cost of a new part and labour to fit.

But the guy up the top of the thread wants to take it off because he needs to replace it...hence he may as well have it gutted by Shark. ;)

But the guy up the top of the thread wants to take it off because he needs to replace it...hence he may as well have it gutted by Shark. ;)

Indeed, but that wasn't the point I was making.

I do wonder if it was broken, if you couldn't just take it off, remove the plastics and sensors and then bake it in a hot commercial oven at a high enough temperature to cause the soot to burn off.