Guide: Fitting Seat Sport FMIC

pip_vrs

Cheers mate.

Like i said there are guides on here that am sure will come in handy for me, so only fair to contribute mine haha. Its not the best but you can clearly see whats happening and what needs to be chopped etc..

• 10 months later...

Super bump.... + should be sticky

Suppose we want to return to standard, I can't see it being easy to get the chopped off front bumper mount back? Looks like you'd have to replace the whole front radiator metal housing thing, part number 6Y0805588P (or K?), right?

That's about £50 for a "Insurance approved quality matching part", so make sure you're keeping the FMIC forever before chopping away at it I guess.... :)

Mine doesnt ??

Or does it ?

I cant remember :D

:D

It should do, as that is the reason the mount has to be cut away if using the Forge pipework.

edit - I couldn't see this threads pictures at work, but it looks like you can at least take off the front relatively easily(???) to be replaced anyhow. Cool!

3f3181d6.jpg

I was thinking about maybe getting custom pipes, in which case I would have been able to keep that mounting... so it would have been good to have it back. Probably won't for a looooooong time, but it is good to know it should be possible to replace this whole front part.

Edited by mark.r.cullen

• 8 months later...

Great Guide. Was very handy.

Fitted Mine at the weekend. I Used the SS Brackets but fabricated it so that the cooler could sit lower.

The only thing that's bugging me is the Lack of air flow where the crash bar is... Seams such a waste!!

I was thinking of drilling dome 40mm Holes in the crash Bar... And doing the same to the numberplate holder. So when I remove the plate (For Track) I get More air flow?

Adam

Fantastic guide this, was trying to find it last night in the general guides section but couldn't see it. Price up an intercooler today at TPS, anybody any idea how much the piping is from Forge so I can get a rough idea of overall cost?

Great Guide. Was very handy.

Fitted Mine at the weekend. I Used the SS Brackets but fabricated it so that the cooler could sit lower.

The only thing that's bugging me is the Lack of air flow where the crash bar is... Seams such a waste!!

I was thinking of drilling dome 40mm Holes in the crash Bar... And doing the same to the numberplate holder. So when I remove the plate (For Track) I get More air flow?

Adam

Any chance you have some pic's to show what you did to the brackets to allow the cooler to sit lower as I don't fancy cutting the bracket off

Think I'm warming to the Forge kit, no chopping about, so damn expensive though, the FMIC set up for the Fabia is quite a bit dearer than the Forge setup I bought new for my Ibiza Cupra MK3 lol. May wait and see if I can get one second hand.

Think I'm warming to the Forge kit, no chopping about, so damn expensive though, the FMIC set up for the Fabia is quite a bit dearer than the Forge setup I bought new for my Ibiza Cupra MK3 lol. May wait and see if I can get one second hand.

You'll get it for a better price than you think if you contact them directly.

With the amount of chopping required to fit the Seat Sport style intercooler, sometimes I wish I went for the Forge Fabia Kit

I was told by unit 18 that the Forge one still needs a bit of cutting.(To what I'm not sure)

Also the forge one is pretty small in comparison.

The forge one is not very big - only 40mm deep and I think the dimensions were roughly 340mm x 325mm - not giving a very big area of intercooler. Though it is at the front of the car instead of hidden away like the SMIC.

I think the only cutting required is on the bumper around the foglight area.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/media/FabiaVRS(1).pdf

• 3 years later...

We did a before and after rolling road to see what the difference was in having the FMIC fitted.

Before: 158bhp

After: 185bhp

Remap: 195bhp

(other modifications done too)

Will post the rolling road graph once I get an electronic version.

27bhp added JUST through having the FMIC?! 

• 1 year later...

Not to resurrect an old thread but... i need to resurrect it to ask a question!  :notme:

the part where you start trimming the black plastic cowling to fit the FMIC BEHIND it, is this the way it's always done? as far as i was aware the FMIC was mounted in-front of it? 

can someone correct me if i'm wrong? the way i read it is that you did this through choice to make it look a little more stealth, am i correct? so this step could be missed out if not fussed about the stealth look but it would infact mean you'd probably have to do more chopping of the crash bar or put on a crash bar from an ibiza?

cheers, Fraser!

From my armchair (I haven't done it myself).

Whichever way you do it you have to trim the black plastic surround on the front end. The decision to take the plastic off was so the mounting brackets for the intercooler would be attached behind the plastic, with the fixings and base hidden from view.

Chopping the bar or replacing it shouldn't be affected either way. (NOTE: That he spaced the fixing out anyway to gain 2mm from the radiator).

When you say plastic cowling do you mean the slam panel?

Also as Vindaloo mentioned about the spacing from the radiator: the mounting brackets should have a rubber space to reduce vibration and give you the 2mm needed to stop any rattling happening.

JRJG

hi there,

yeah i mean the slam panel!

my FMIC i purchased has small rubber washers attached to the brackets yeah

You will have to cut the slam panel where is 'rounds' the radiator in order make room for your boost pipe. As well as one of the brackets.

There is quite a bit of hacking at the slam panel actually. Luckily I was given the slam panel with my intercooler so all the hacking and chopping had already been done :-)

JRJG

I can't find the time to post a proper reply, sorry dude, but go look for my build thread and you will find some before and after pics of fitting an Airtec 'cooler to my my- Fabia vRS, which is the same as the one you have and it will show you exactly what you need to cut away :)

Edited by jars