MODDING MY FABIA!

Hi guys i recently bought a hard worked Fabia Comfort 1.4 8V ...She's a steady old girl and had a hard life from what i can tell but not having alot of money she'll do me for a while...well untill i can afford to buy and insure a VRS....she's got a few dings and dongs on her but she's bought and paid for thats the main thing.

Heres the thing im looking at modding her nothing O.T.T and i could do with some advice on where to get cheap mods from and which mods to do.Ive started by getting rid of the standard 14" wheels and orderd a set of 17" Wolfrace Sharks for the old girl (cant wait for them to arrive) as you will all know the 8V is very under powered so i was looking at geting a pipercross Viper induction kit..does antone know if this is worth buying? id also like her to sound abit better but i dont want an exhaust on her.

I also dont like the look of the front grille so im hoping i can get a new one for her that looks abit more sporty and doesnt cost the earth..any ideas guys? The last thing iv got on my mind is putting sports suspention on her and lowering her abit so any ideas on which spring kits and or damper kits are the best for the money would be a great help..Yes im asking alot but iv wasted alot of money in the past lol

And one last thing i live near lincoln so if anyone knows where i can get some spray paint that would actualy match her original colour that would be a great help aswell :)

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas you send her way...im shore she will appreciate it as much as me :rofl:

Edited by ImaSkodaVirgin

the best thing you can do is just leave it alone instead of buying all that for such a low power car, save the money and get yourself a cheap vRS! don't waste your money on induction kits because the don't do anything on cars like the ones you have. :thumbup:

+1

You say you want to save for a Vrs, we save that money for a Vrs.

Get a refund on those 17s thats gotta be at least £500 in pocket.

you will get a couple of grand for the car when comes to change

theres 2.5 for a vrs........... thats half way there!! i only paid £4250 for mine FSH 80,000 miles.

Just shop for insurance, use that DD idear they do, spread the cost of the expensive insurance.

You conserns where what i had, cost, but dive into it its not as expensive as you think to get one.

Owning one is the poroblem, you just spend snd spend when you dont have to

You say it looks like the cars had a hard life?

Don't waste money on mods if you already have a plan to move on and up.. why not see if that cash could be put to tidying up the car and maybe even making a profit when you sell? Must be quite a few of your spec in breakers and breaking on ebay now to replace damaged parts and worn?

Maybe rent a carpet / upholstery cleaner from B&Q and if you don't have the gear, splurge a ton on a man to come and do paint correction and then seal?

Alloys isn't a bad idea.. but get something from the VAG group to keep the OEM look.. and lowering isn't a bad thing either but wouldn't bother spending lots on it as it'll never tear the streets up. Springs come up once in a while on here when people upgrade.

Keep an eye out for a badge-less grille on here? They do come up once in a while but aren't (imho) worth the cost new.

Edited by Rob.

A fool and their money are easily parted... :giggle:

...Seriously though, I agree with the other posts. It isn't worth modifying your current car if true performance is what you seek. Keep your current car standard and save the money to trade up and buy what you really want when you can afford it.

If it makes you feel any better I only have a 1.2 estate and that's powerful enough for my needs, OK I certianly wouldn't win any races, but then I just want boring old cheap and reliable motoring.

I have a slightly different take.. if you want a vrs but can't afford till later, buy stuff which will fit both cars. Ie, rarb, upper front strut, and possibly better tyres for safety/handling gains.

Edited by JLneonhug

I have a slightly different take.. if you want a vrs but can't afford till later, buy stuff which will fit both cars. Ie, rarb, upper front strut, and possibly better tyres for safety/handling gains.

Thats a great shout :thumbup:

The wheels will be okay for a start , they will go on his vRS when he gets it.

Guest BigJase88

slam it on coils

and whack on some dub rims

no point in playing with a 1.4 engine

cheap coilies for £400 Vmaxx jobbies

then some nice wheels from edition 38

SORTED

Thats my idea....i wont be able to insure a vRs for awhile as iv just come off a 15mth ban.....so she'll be with me till her death i guess...and spending a little on her wont hurt as she only cost me £500 in the first place bargain i thought :D

But note the other thread running at present where someone can't get insurance with changed alloys until he's 25 - you need to be with a friendly insurance company...

But note the other thread running at present where someone can't get insurance with changed alloys until he's 25 - you need to be with a friendly insurance company...

Here's the shocker mate...you can add 10yrs on that age for me..Lmao, Yes lets see all the post's that isnt it about time i grew UP? Lol...Er while cars have wheels NO i dont think so :D

I didn't bother modding my last 2 cars just so I could save up for my vRS. It was pointless modifying them and IMO was a waste of money. The only thing I've done to my vRS is change the brakes to 312mm. I'm now saving for a house and a second car. Don't want to get rid of the vRS. Too good on juice for commuting and I want to run it until it dies.

My mate gave me a a cone filter last night cost me nowt....slapped in on in five minutes and it sounds realy nice...bloody huge thing it is....isnt for a fabia but it went on and didnt cost owt so im happy :)

And to be perfectly honest you can tell the difference in power...im not saying its put 5Bhp on her or anything but she doesnt lag as much as she did before in mid range ;)

Edited by ImaSkodaVirgin

My mate gave me a a cone filter last night, cost me nowt....slapped in on in five minutes and it sounds realy nice...bloody huge thing it is....isnt for a fabia but it went on and didnt cost owt so im happy :)

And to be perfectly honest you can tell the difference in power...im not saying its put 5Bhp on her or anything but she doesnt lag as much as she did before in mid range ;)

Oh poo it posted twice how do i remove a post guys?????????

Edited by ImaSkodaVirgin

I'll dissagree with the leave it alone.

We have a 1.4 Mpi in our household and im sure the other half will be along shortly. Im sure I can say its probably the most modified MPi on the site, maybe Duggies is somewhere close?

Ive spent a lot of time on it doing all the normal bits and bobs, coil overs, poly bushes, FARB, RARB, vRS brakes front and rear, induction kit etc etc. OK we havent spent a massive amount on it as I do al the work for love and most of the bits have come off old cars of mine or second hand. If someone was to do it and pay for it all to be done it would be fairly expensive I guess but things like bushes and bearings all needed doing anyway.

I guess the point im making is although under powered the car is a great drive, it handles like no other Fabia i have driven as its not lugging around a big heavy engine and six speed gearbox, it out brakes a lot on the road and makes me chuckle as its just good fun. OK its a bit purple and girly for me but if she has to use the Boca for some reason Im quite happy to take it out.

5425b43d.jpg

Edited by Lummox

Where is Duggie anyway? He'll also add to the MPI's rule!!!!!

Honestly Lissy is ace fun to drive!

Shes had coils on, low as possible set to go-kart handling mode - there is no damping :D - and I may not be able to out accelerate others on a straight bit I dont have to brake for corners and around here I can leave people behind coz none of these roads are straight. WHeels are bigger, decent tyres and spacers make her ass look yummy. Jabba RARB, SEAT front strut and uprated front ARB all add to the handling fun :D

Picked up the sport front bumper off ebay for something like £20, got it sprayed fairly cheap - looks fab.

All the bump strips have been off - painted purple and stuck back on again. The front grille is also purple (silver and purple being the theme ya see). Shes been debadged and got some purple skoda badges on her now, colour coded the door handles.

Brakes have been swapped out for VRS setup - (you'll really wanna sort those rear drums, in winter Lissy used to dragg her ass half way down the road before the rear wheels unlocked), kinda braking overkill for the power but I am used to driving the VRS combi before and now the Bocca both with uprated brakes so I kinda expect a car to stop dead.

Just do little bits now and again, you'll really enjoy driving the car. And MPI's never ever die - thats a fact!

CIMG0540.jpg

CIMG0540.jpg

Owning a vRS, i`v always had the view that the other fabia`s are dull and a bit bit boring tbh, possibly because very few non vRS get modded tastefully. BUT i really like that! Its not just had chrome bits stuck to it, nor is it trying to be a vRS, its OEM+ and a very nice car. :thumbup: Proof you dont need to have the fastest car, or the highest spec model, just a eye for some nice subtle mods and your onto a winner.

Matt

:thumbup: thankyou :)

there is a thread on here somewhere when I first ripped all the black plastic off and started with a few different shades of purple to test what I liked - not one person thought it would work out but boy does she look good! Not too much but just enough little bits is the key :)

Ooo one thing that I did that really really made a difference was chuck all the grotty grey pillars and headlining and replaced with black VRS stuff, small difference but really changed the feel of the interior. I would if I had the money a while back have replaced the front seats for some comfier ones as I find it easier to drive when you're positioned properly - but the need for an auto is now unfortunatly too great

slam it on coils

and whack on some dub rims

no point in playing with a 1.4 engine

cheap coilies for £400 Vmaxx jobbies

then some nice wheels from edition 38

SORTED

you can get even cheaper AK coilovers about £200 but you pay for what u get.

you can get even cheaper AK coilovers about £200 but you pay for what u get.

I'll second that - get the best you can where suspension is concerned even if it means not getting something else at the time