Door Mirrors

Yetiman140

While I'm enjoying driving my little snow monster enormously and not missing much from my faithful old Subaru Forester, one thing I really miss and can't really believe is not there are the split view door mirrors. Slightly more convex on the outer edge to increase field of vision and really useful and much safer in all multi-lane traffic situations. First day I drove through London, I only saw a car coming up on the inside dangerously late for lack of this (standard) equipment which I have been using for the last 21 years. Does anyone know if these mirrors exist for Yetis or if not, is there any plan to introduce them - definitely worth the minor increase in cost this would involve.

I'd agree that the door mirrors are not one of the Yeti's best features, especially given that - at least where I normally have the driver's seat positioned - the B pillar almost completely blocks any over-the-shoulder glance to double-check for (off-side) overtaking traffic in any potential blind spot. This is definitely one aspect of the Yeti design that could be improved.

I'd agree that the door mirrors are not one of the Yeti's best features, especially given that - at least where I normally have the driver's seat positioned - the B pillar almost completely blocks any over-the-shoulder glance to double-check for (off-side) overtaking traffic in any potential blind spot. This is definitely one aspect of the Yeti design that could be improved.

Yes, that's right. In fact, one of the big selling points is good driver visibility but it's not true. My old Subie was actually exceptional in this respect. Just have to rely on great driving skills!

Well I'm going to disagree with you all.

I don't have any problem with the mirrors at all. Find they give a perfectly adequate view of what is happening behind and to the side of me, at nearly all times. Certainly found them better than my previous Freelanders.

Can I suggest that you need to adjust them better. The only bit of the car I can see when I use either of them is just the edge of the rear door handles.

I have to say that I noticed the lack of blind spot mirror when I first got the Yeti. However, I have not had any problems with spotting traffic so far and so maybe the whole glass is shaped for a wider view. I am also a habitual over the shoulder checker (a legacy of failing my first driving test nearly eighteen years ago for that very reason:doh:)

Yetiman, it was my first reaction too when I moved from the Octy, but.......

There is no visible line on the mirror, separation the the two zones, like you often see. I do believe that the outer area of the mirrors are more convecs - and give a wider view than the inner part. I have adjusted the mirrors, so that you can only barely see the side of your own car, and find that overtaking vehicles appear in the side mirrors just before they disappear in the rear view one - can't get any better than that.

Now that I have gotten everything adjusted, I actually find the view in the mirrors is very good - both on the motorway and in backing up.

I think the Yeti has very good mirrors - but then I guess it depends on what you are used to. I do think the B pillar is a bit in-the-way for rearward observations, but as Llanigraham has already commented, it's down to adjustment. I often find people fill their rear view with half the car as well!

I think the Yeti has very good mirrors - but then I guess it depends on what you are used to. I do think the B pillar is a bit in-the-way for rearward observations, but as Llanigraham has already commented, it's down to adjustment. I often find people fill their rear view with half the car as well!

On the SM I can somehow understand that, it's such a nice car to look at (even though you really should be looking forward most of the time) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Is it just me or has does anyone else think the A Pillar (passenger side) also creates a significant blind spot?

No, not just you! The A post is particularly obstructive when looking left prior to coming out at crossroads or T junctions. It always seems to align with exactly with the line of sight you require!

I seem to remember this being discussed on Honest John some while ago (in relation to several makes of car). It is simply an issue caused by manufacturers having to conform to crash test requirements - they have to make the posts strong enough (and big enough) - and the problem can be found on many modern cars.

I make a point of leaning forward and backward to look front and back of the pillar. Its the only choice!

Have a look at the current Renault Espace or the Citroën C3 Picasso. Their A-pillars are as big as a row of matchboxes end to end. Amazingly unubtrusive. Why can they be so small? Because their main structural pillar is their B-pillars. Makes far more sense to me. But then the Yeti does not have the same MPV sideglass design with a side window in front of the doors. My A2 has HUGE A-pillars as the aluminium extrusion is a way bigger to get the same strength as steel.

Yetiman, it was my first reaction too when I moved from the Octy, but.......

There is no visible line on the mirror, separation the the two zones, like you often see. I do believe that the outer area of the mirrors are more convecs - and give a wider view than the inner part. I have adjusted the mirrors, so that you can only barely see the side of your own car, and find that overtaking vehicles appear in the side mirrors just before they disappear in the rear view one - can't get any better than that.

Now that I have gotten everything adjusted, I actually find the view in the mirrors is very good - both on the motorway and in backing up.

and I second that opinion :) :clap:

While on the subject of door mirrors, any further (definitive?!) news from anyone about whether electric folding mirrors/driver's seat memory are now available to order as claimed on the 'Build your own' website page?

Edited by hmibennett

While on the subject of door mirrors, any further (definitive?!) news from anyone about whether electric folding mirrors/driver's seat memory are now available to order as claimed on the 'Build your own' website page?

I've not had confirmation either way yet. James is looking into it.

Mike

I have just been told I CAN have power folding mirrors and an electric memory seat.

Hurrah

Mike

Mike I'm out of my skin too!!!!! I'm not even 10 minutes from having added this very option to my Yeti!!!!! (Though my dealer still wanted to check it out, but you having stated this now!!! YES!!!!)

I also changed my car's colour..... AND I added a DSG gearbox was was not availible in April when I ordered!!!! I'm am over the moon!!!!!!

Mike I'm out of my skin too!!!!! I'm not even 10 minutes from having added this very option to my Yeti!!!!! (Though my dealer still wanted to check it out, but you having stated this now!!! YES!!!!)

I also changed my car's colour..... AND I added a DSG gearbox was was not availible in April when I ordered!!!! I'm am over the moon!!!!!!

Made my day.....I'm such a sad nerd..........

Mike

Made my day.....I'm such a sad nerd..........

Mike

Mike that makes two of us!!! I've been saying since day one all I want more from my Yeti is to fold the mirrors electrically and with two regular drivers I wanted seat memory. And low and behold there I get it. So there was a good reason for having waited this long for my car. AND I always promised myself a DSG in my next car but ordered a manual since I did not want to wait in April until who knows when since there was no confirmed date for the DSG 140 TDI's arrival at that point - if indeed it was ever to come. emoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif Well it has and I'm getting one!

looks like I've gotten James a load of extra business with extras.emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Maybe I should work for Skoda!emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

Bloody annoying thing is that they just continually roll out these options without them being in a brochure, so its pot luck if you hapen to be informed that they can now be ordered ! probably to late for my order though, but I will make a play for it !

:doh:

Mike that makes two of us!!! I've been saying since day one all I want more from my Yeti is to fold the mirrors electrically and with two regular drivers I wanted seat memory.

Is anyone (James?) able to confirm that the mirrors are actually folding because the 'build your car' mentions electrically adjustable, heated, auto dimming with memory function and boarding spots. Folding isn't mentioned?