burning oil?

lee67

well my yeti has been faultless in its 1900 miles.....great mpg etc and run in per manual'.....today whilst shopping the oil warning light came and stayed on...after shopping i checked the oil, and it was just visable on the dipstick...having had quite a few new cars/bikes so run in vehicles countless times, im rather concerned that my yeti has burned off alot of oil in such short mileage!!.....my last car never had any oil tops up bar yearly servicng and was thrashed within an inch of its life( ford focus)..so im quite worried , anyone else had higher than normal oil consumption...oh and its a 1.2 tsi never been past 4000 rpm and never passed 70 yet)!! :wonder:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've answered your own question......Top up the oil and drive it within an inch of it's life,like your old focus,otherwise with modern synthetic oil the piston rings will never bed in. :no:

I think you've answered your own question......Top up the oil and drive it within an inch of it's life,like your old focus,otherwise with modern synthetic oil the piston rings will never bed in. :no:

There has been much debate on this recently with many people saying the opposite to thrashing it, and doing as the manual tells you to, so god knows who is right !?

:|

ive ran the yeti in very very similar to my last 3-4 new cars tho..non had to have oil topped up between services and NEVER after only 1900 miles..i havnt drove in 6th at 1000 rpm lol

well my yeti has been faultless in its 1900 miles.....great mpg etc and run in per manual'.....today whilst shopping the oil warning light came and stayed on...after shopping i checked the oil, and it was just visable on the dipstick...having had quite a few new cars/bikes so run in vehicles countless times, im rather concerned that my yeti has burned off alot of oil in such short mileage!!.....my last car never had any oil tops up bar yearly servicng and was thrashed within an inch of its life( ford focus)..so im quite worried , anyone else had higher than normal oil consumption...oh and its a 1.2 tsi never been past 4000 rpm and never passed 70 yet)!! :wonder:

Hi Lee,

Your post made me go outside and check my oil. I remember a topic from some time ago ( July?) about some Yeti's burning oil and I went out and bought an expensive litre of it. Just dipped mine and it's a couple of millimetres below maximum level. Done 1600 miles in a 170BHP Elegance 4x4. I ran it in as per the manual but I'm thrashing it a bit now. Obviously we're not comparing like with like, yours being a petrol engine. Did you check the oil level soon after you got the car? There's always the possibility it was not full.

Stewart

ive ran the yeti in very very similar to my last 3-4 new cars tho..non had to have oil topped up between services and NEVER after only 1900 miles..i havnt drove in 6th at 1000 rpm lol

For what it's worth, Jessica and I have just clocked up 1000, and reading your post dashed out to check our oil, fortunately still on 'full'. We have been following the running in directions in the book, our 1.2 Jazz was run in from new the same way and never used any oil between services.

It's a bit worrying for you, although ours is a DSG 1.2 we haven't exactly been treating it with kid gloves, and driving it fairly normally for us, it's had a couple of long trips at a steady 70+, and have been gradually increasing the acceleration.

We'll monitor it more closely now and let you know if we get any increase in oil consumption. Obviously you'll have checked for leaks.We absolutely love ours by the way Best of luck anyway, Tony

my 170 elegance 4*4 has done over 9400 miles - and I haven't put a drop of oil in. Last time I checked the oil level was about 2/3 up the dipstick marker. He's in for his first service next week.

I ran him in "carefully" as per the book and age old belief that engines need kid glove treatment for the first 3000 miles. Since then he's been driven as sharply as conditions require - LOADS of fun!!

Edited by Freshacre

Haven't checked mine for a couple of weeks but it hadn't used a drop until then (currently showing just under 5000 miles). I certainly didn't and wouldn't thrash it whilst it was running in but I did vary the revs and driving conditions as much as possible which is said to help.

If my oil light came on I would stop the car straight away, never mind when I get home. If the level drops low enough to cause a warning light it is a dangerous game to carry on driving.

I am surprised that a 1.2 TSI has used so much oil because it is usually the diesels that burn their oil. As Stewart mentioned, was it full to begin with?

Mines had a litre in total so far, 9400 miles done. Running in didn't go as planned due to battling snow etc. :rofl:

TP

At least you got to try the 4x4 attributes :D

At least you got to try the 4x4 attributes :D

Oh yes and some but to make it work you need to dump the daft sports tyres, otherwise :dance::ninja: possible followed in my case :whew: or worse :heartbreak:

Nokian 16" winter boots :rock:

TP

Edited by The Plumber

I've running a 1.2 TSI DGS which now has about 3000 miles on the clock. I ran it in according to the manual (low revs first 700 miles, then gradually revving towards the redline to 1000 miles), and after that I'm driving mainly on low revs with the occational revving to clear the engine (or so I believe) and the occasional full throttle acceleration onto highways. Actually the run in was done on a single 700 miles one-day journey. I checked the oil today, and the stick showed totally full, so obviously I have been doing something right!

my 170 elegance 4*4 has done over 9400 miles - and I haven't put a drop of oil in. Last time I checked the oil level was about 2/3 up the dipstick marker. He's in for his first service next week.

I ran him in "carefully" as per the book and age old belief that engines need kid glove treatment for the first 3000 miles. Since then he's been driven as sharply as conditions require - LOADS of fun!!

Snap Freshacre!

Mines done over 8000 and I haven’t needed to top up the oil either, ran it in according to the book as well.

Have no qualms about revving it now ;)

My previous SEAT with the 1.9 PD engines burned a litre and a half in the first 2000 miles then settled down to almost none.

Perhaps the 1.2 burns oil early on till it settles in and then its OK.

Its all a mystery to me :(

Another 2.0 TDI 170 with 31000 km on the clock. Used 1½ litre in the first 30,000 km. Since then not eniugh miles to show any oil consumption, but I do not expect there to be much.

6000 miles now on my 1.8TSI and not a drop of oil has been used! Its still a lovely golden colour too :giggle: and I didnt run it in with kid gloves. ;-)

I'll have the first service at 10k miles and then every 6-8k after that as Im planning on keeping this one for a while. :)

well took the beast back to our dealer today.....took straight in to be checked, whilst we were given an hot drink( 1st class service) :thumbup: ....there was no oil leaks, and the exhaust was checked for leaks/oil signs...all came back clear, the mechanic said its strange for a petrol tsi to use so much in 2000 miles..but topped it up to max and has asked me to check again and keep him informed!!...he also rectified another fault that had been there since first week....a CREAKING brake pedal( more of that in another thread)...so hopefully these 2 niggles were just that..and hopefully i have no more issues, that engine is such a beauty tho.. :yes:

Hi Lee,

found another poster with a TSI eating a bit of oil My link (post #15) This time a Fabia TSI 85

TP

Hi Lee,

found another poster with a TSI eating a bit of oil My link (post #15) This time a Fabia TSI 85

TP

That was my post.

The TSI is drinking oil at the rate of .75 ml per 600 miles. Skoda expect 0.5 ml per 624 miles as an absolute max.

So something does not appear not right, althought it appears to run perfectly. Up till now I have had nothing but good to say about this engine, but am now not so sure.

Dealer should expect a visit shortly if this continues.

That was my post.

The TSI is drinking oil at the rate of .75 ml per 600 miles. Skoda expect 0.5 ml per 624 miles as an absolute max.

So something does not appear not right, althought it appears to run perfectly. Up till now I have had nothing but good to say about this engine, but am now not so sure.

Dealer should expect a visit shortly if this continues.

Hi Monimoke,

There is something strange about the unit "ml" you cite. What is it? I would have guessed millilitres, but that you woun't be able to tell from the dipstick.

0.5 liter per 1000 km is a normaly quoted number for acceptable oil consumption, so that is I assume you meant, as the 1000 km = 625 miles if you are not too picky about the significant digits.