Octavia VRS TDI DSG

mylesm

Hello Everyone

I am really thinking of Buying an Octavia VRS TDI DSG new and would really appreciate peoples views I know this is a skoda forum so the views are probably biased but I would still be interested in any feedback

Does the new DSG Gearbox need oil change or is it sealed for life what is the real life impression of driving one of these gearboxes

Thanks

mylesm

it needs changing at 40,00 miles.

cant help you on the other question as I tried one and didnt really like it. Lots of owners here who love it though so have a search through the DSG threads or hang on for some other replies.

i have a TDI VRS DSG estate and its brilliant, pl3enty of poke in the engine. Its the first diesel i have owned having nine previous petrol cars. I can safely say that this car is quieter than some of the petrol cars i have owned. Its a very refined engine and the gearbox is faultless. Ive done 6000 miles in mine since june and its absolutely brilliant. I cant fault it.

Any negitive points? Not that i can thing of!

every 2 years or 40k which ever is first.

Take one for a test drive and see if you like it. I personally love my dsg the best car I've had for every day driving. Also fun on the twisty bits!

Even in man mode it will still kick up or down when it thinks you need to i.e you cannot stall or over rev the car.

I know finding a dsg at a dealer can be tricky but it would be worth the extra travel to have a good long test drive in one.

I can see how it can be love or hate, depends how attached you are to a manual shift

personally I wouldnt like to drive anything else, on my 2nd CR vRS DSG.

Fabulous car, great engine (refined, powerful). Gearbox is smooth and seamless.

The new paddleshifters are a fun option too,, but in standard Drive mode it will do everything you want of it too.

Recommend you go on a long test drive in a DSG equipped car.

Then try the CR vRS (even if manual, just to check the engine out)

every 2 years or 40k which ever is first.

Take one for a test drive and see if you like it. I personally love my dsg the best car I've had for every day driving. Also fun on the twisty bits!

Even in man mode it will still kick up or down when it thinks you need to i.e you cannot stall or over rev the car.

I know finding a dsg at a dealer can be tricky but it would be worth the extra travel to have a good long test drive in one.

2 years where did you obtain that info from? All I have seen is 40k?

If you can't find a skoda DSG demo - VW and audi usually have some in. What i did was drive a VRS manual and then found a VW dealer with a DSG golf GTD and drove that!

Ok Only a 1.6 DSg & only some 350 miles on it

But

it's a complete "hoot" to drive ..........esp during kickdown, ( btw mine is the newer "dry" 7 speed.)

changes are seamless and I would have to say infallible....... the flick of the rev counter needle is really the only give-away.

the only thing to get used to is the fact that one has to put ones foot on the brake to move from Park or neutral to Drive or reverse.......plus have it in park to remove the key.

I am getting the hang of it, all I want is variable speed cruise control for a perfect relaxed drive.

Cheers

M

only what I've read on this forum and on other VAG forums

However I stand corrected after checking. The service schedule states every 60k KM's so my bad on that one.

Ok Only a 1.6 DSg & only some 350 miles on it

But

it's a complete "hoot" to drive ..........esp during kickdown, ( btw mine is the newer "dry" 7 speed.)

changes are seamless and I would have to say infallible....... the flick of the rev counter needle is really the only give-away.

the only thing to get used to is the fact that one has to put ones foot on the brake to move from Park or neutral to Drive or reverse.......plus have it in park to remove the key.

I am getting the hang of it, all I want is variable speed cruise control for a perfect relaxed drive.

Cheers

M

only what I've read on this forum and on other VAG forums

However I stand corrected after checking. The service schedule states every 60k KM's so my bad on that one.

Phew thats ok then!! Didn't fancy £150 every 2 years!

As usual, try before you buy. The box can be confused on steep declines where it has a tendency to rev its head off unless you knock it across into manual. Other than that, I'd have another no problem - and the CR is an absolute gem. I've had both the PD and the CR and it's much quieter and smoother to drive.

Edited by Paul007

If you can't find a skoda DSG demo - VW and audi usually have some in. What i did was drive a VRS manual and then found a VW dealer with a DSG golf GTD and drove that!

I have an Email from Skoda UK dated 15th June 2010 confirming that the DSG oil change is not time dependant and should be changed every 40K

To: <xxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:21 AM

Subject: /SD-2010/06-002259

Reference: SD-2010/06-002259

Dear Mr xxx

Thank you for your email dated 8 June 2010 regarding your query about DSG

oil/filter change.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response.

Having consulted Technical I can confirm that this should be changed every

40,000 miles. There is no time limit for this service

operation.

Thank you for contacting Skoda Customer Services

Kind Regards

Ian Watson

Customer Service Advisor

Skoda Auto Customer Services

[email protected]

08457 745 745

www.skoda.co.uk

Edited by Octavia5

I have had my DSG CR TDI vRS for a few months now and it is brilliant! I had a PD TDI vRS with a manual box for three years and that was also great, but my new car is quieter, better on fuel and absolutely awesome in "S" ! The paddles are also brilliant and rapid on a winding road, if you get the chance........or you can chill and drive with cruise in "D" and eat up the miles. In future there will be no choice for me and I definitely like to "Drive" my car........this is a no brainer choice!