Fuel economy

JB.

Just wondering what sort of MPG owners are seeing on their Superbs? I have only filled up twice since I took delivery of my 170 TDI Superb in August and have only managed a measly 525 miles. However, as I only needed 53 litres to fill up, then this works out at about 44-45 MPG. My daily 20-mile roundtrip to the station says 50-55MPG on the trip computer (at one point in the trip it usually goes above 60), so I was a tad disappointed at the 44 average, but I don't suppose it's too bad.

I initially couldn't believe that I was only scraping past 500 miles, but I seem to remember the fuel tank is small (60 litres perhaps?). My previous car was a 115 TDI Passat from 2000, and I regularly got over 600 miles to a tank in that - but I suppose it had a larger tank (maybe 70 litres?).

My wife's 1.4TSI Octavia averages out at about 37-40MPG, so the diesel isn't much more frugal, less of a difference than I thought. However, I suppose you pay a price for the extra power.

Thanks folks!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You summed it up in your last comment "you pay for the extra power" . There is no doubt the 140 model is more frugal than the 170 , power comes from burning fuel

The trip computers will always be a little out we also get an average of 43mpg out of ours will often see over 50mpg on the trip but never do enough miles to at a slow enough speed to use a whole tank we have averaged 48-49mpg over a tankful on long drives in France

I've been impressed by the economy of the 170 superb , its a big car with lots of electrics to power and fairly good turn of speed I think anything over 40mpg is impressive but be warned it will drop quite a bit in the winter , last year we only got 38-39mpg in the coldest months

I've got the 140CR estate & for the first 1000 miles, I've been getting 47.4 actual/ 49.9 on MFD & 49.5 actual/51.2 on MFD which I'm pleased with on a tight engine. another fill-up in the next day or so...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the 140CR estate & for the first 1000 miles, I've been getting 47.4 actual/ 49.9 on MFD & 49.5 actual/51.2 on MFD which I'm pleased with on a tight engine. another fill-up in the next day or so...

Our 2010 Superb sedan 140 hp diesel managed 56.49 mpg(imperial) on a recent drive from Norway to the south of France and back. I was most impressed.

Dag

I've once managed 56MPG out of my 170 4x4 on the motorway on a 300 mile run... but from day to day, around 42MPG...

Al.

Al - thanks - couple of questions:

What kind of driving do you typically do?

Are those figures from the MFD or brim-to-brim?

Cheers.

Can anybody tell me what sort of MPG to expect if driving the 170CR with a heavy right foot?? I currently get around 42mpg out of my Octavia Estate 1.9TDI, so i'm not expecting much more than 40mpg as i don't really like hanging around, if you get me.

Any estimates would be appreciated.

Can anybody tell me what sort of MPG to expect if driving the 170CR with a heavy right foot?? I currently get around 42mpg out of my Octavia Estate 1.9TDI, so i'm not expecting much more than 40mpg as i don't really like hanging around, if you get me.

At a steady 80-85 mph indicated i still get 44-46mpg brim to brim , caning it down a roads is so unrewarding in the Superb i rarely bother but i admit to having a pretty heavy foot myself

I can at times, get mine down to around 32mpg when pushing hard with a full-boot playing catch-up to a wedding party.... 170 4x4.

Al.

Just waiting now for someone with a 3.6 v6 to come in with even lower mpg figures :giggle: ....as for our greenline, well the computer shows 62mpg on short runs, but i havent done a check with a long run....might be able to in a couple of weeks time, but at the moment we arent putting in as much cash in as we did with our mk1 superb, and we are doing a lot more miles too...so thats got to be a good thing :thumbup:

We have a 170 bhp elegance hatchback and on fairly long motorway runs average about 46 mpg. Driving around in the mountains this drops a bit to 45 average. Having come from an Audi A4 with a range of 650 miles I find the superb range of under 500 miles annoyingly small. Especially since the car is so comfortable that you can easily drive it for over 500 miles in a stint.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

just thought I'd mention.... I drive a VW Golf Bluemotion 1.9TDI (105bhp) and it so so depends upon how I drive..... (no big surprise there).

I've had as much as 75mpg on a 400 mile round trip, a gentle no rush tootle up & down the motorway (as per trip computer)

I've had as little as ~42/43mpg on colder days, shorter journeys / when in a hurry (as per trip computer)

But on average and assuming I do anywhere between 30 & 100 miles in a day I'll probably average ~55/58mpg (as per trip computer).

However, one thing that struck me from early on is that the trip computer is very generous I feel it indicates a consumption 10% to 15% in excess of reality (ie. fill up & do the maths... about 50 litres & about 550 miles = an average of 50mpg.

I would also have to admit that I make the car work. Considering its a "green" car its no slouch, far from it... or is that my rather heavy right foot. I personnally think it deliveres well, as I know that if I want to, I can make it return 65 to 70mpg (even when doing the maths) but its just a slightly dull drive.

I suppose my point is that the comments about the Skoda trip computers (like VW ones) indicate that the trip computers are over estimating the consumption by at least 10%. Its a bit cheeky & daft to do that, why not show the true figure & we might actually try a bit harder to to drive a little more efficiently. I think to get less than 50mpg out a green car is a bit embarassing!

Our Superb will be here soon (6 weeks) & then bye bye Vectra Estate 1.9TDI 150 bhp which does about 40-45mpg. I'm hoping the Superb Estate (170CR) will do a bit better... closer to 45-50?

Sorry for the waffle...hope it was of some benefit.

Stef

My 170 Elegance has done 51.7mpg overall in two years, this calculation is based the brim to brim method.

I noticed a significant improvement when I changed my summer tyres from Continental to Michelin Pilot Sport 3. There is no noticeable difference on my winter tyres, Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme

I do however, use the Superb mainly for trips to Germany with very little in-town driving.

One year on, 9k miles and 42mpg overall. Managed 51mpg overall fully loaded on trip to Germany in the summer. No complaints with the economy for such a large accessory laden car.

15 years ago this kind of economy was limited to small diesel hatchbacks.

Edited by G.K.

I've only done just over 1,000 miles in the Superb Greenline so far, but according to the MPG calculator site I use:

(Mpg 51.04) KM per Litre:18.07 Pence per mile:11.76

(Mpg 62.51) KM per Litre:22.12 Pence per mile:8.73

(Mpg 58.83) KM per Litre:20.82 Pence per mile:9.27

The trip computer tends to show around 55mpg around town and up to 67mpg on a long run at night. The lowest figure above (51.04) was the result of three hours of "spirited" driving on B roads. Not bad for a new engine. :thumbup:

Take the OP out of it, and I'm sick of these ppl who quote magic figures, forcing those that don't get anymore than the book says to think they have a fault, 2 ton of car, how many mpg did you really think you were going to get?

Simple innit, the OP figures suggest he's getting 6 mpg more than he should do on a mix run from cold, anyway take note that this site doesn't have the biggest idiot on it, on the VW site there's some (make your own word up for him) quoting 55mpg urban and moaning that 67 on a run isn't enough, oh my how I'd love to jack some Supurbia juice into these nutters, I hate liar's full stop, and this thread is a perfect example of how their bull misleads other's.

Just wondering what sort of MPG owners are seeing on their Superbs? I have only filled up twice since I took delivery of my 170 TDI Superb in August and have only managed a measly 525 miles. However, as I only needed 53 litres to fill up, then this works out at about 44-45 MPG. My daily 20-mile roundtrip to the station says 50-55MPG on the trip computer (at one point in the trip it usually goes above 60), so I was a tad disappointed at the 44 average, but I don't suppose it's too bad.

I initially couldn't believe that I was only scraping past 500 miles, but I seem to remember the fuel tank is small (60 litres perhaps?). My previous car was a 115 TDI Passat from 2000, and I regularly got over 600 miles to a tank in that - but I suppose it had a larger tank (maybe 70 litres?).

My wife's 1.4TSI Octavia averages out at about 37-40MPG, so the diesel isn't much more frugal, less of a difference than I thought. However, I suppose you pay a price for the extra power.

Thanks folks!

I can't fathom the MPG figures discussed here as I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the metric world however, my 2.0 TDI Superb shows figures around 5 litres to 100km and occasionally (briefly) 4.9 litres. This is highway travel of course. Around town it's closer to 7 litres. I await the maths from a clever(er) blogger than me!

Take the OP out of it, and I'm sick of these ppl who quote magic figures, forcing those that don't get anymore than the book says to think they have a fault, 2 ton of car, how many mpg did you really think you were going to get?

Was that aimed at me? Given you're using my exact figures provided in the post before yours (though I never frequent a VW forum), I had to wonder. :dull: Given that such figures are actually under book figures for the Greenline; '2 ton' (1.5 as it happens) or not, I wasn't sure what you were getting at. Apologies if I've taken you wrong. :thumbup:

Edited by Derv

I can't fathom the MPG figures discussed here as I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the metric world however, my 2.0 TDI Superb shows figures around 5 litres to 100km and occasionally (briefly) 4.9 litres. This is highway travel of course. Around town it's closer to 7 litres. I await the maths from a clever(er) blogger than me!

4.9 litres to 100KM = 57.6 UK MPG

5 litres to 100KM = 56.5 UK MPG

7 litres to 100KM = 40.4 UK MPG

Taken from this converter. :)

4.9 litres to 100KM = 57.6 UK MPG

5 litres to 100KM = 56.5 UK MPG

7 litres to 100KM = 40.4 UK MPG

Taken from this converter. :)

Thanks 'Derv'. Told you there were smarter bloggers than me. Although the MF Computer is alleged to be quite optimistic, I still think the Superb figures are superb!!emoticon-0148-yes.gif