Cornering Fogs? Any benefit?

rob_e

My FL Vrs has the capability apparently of having the fog lights up as "cornering lights".

Not enabled from the factory, so I asked at the first service a couple of weeks ago for the dealer to enable this for me.

:Lots of head scratching at the dealer, got the car back with the feature still not enabled, however they did manage to change a bunch of other settings randomly on/off (thanks guys!).

Question: is it actually worth it? Has anyone got this working and does it actually give any benefit? If not then i'll just forget about it, but if its a benefit then I might look to find someone outside the dealer network who actually knows what they are doing and get it enabled.

Thoughts?

If you have Maxidot you can enabler them yourself.

They are good in dark twisty forward/backward situations and they do light up nicely the side you are turning in. Otherwise when needed just put fog lights on manually.

If you have Maxidot you can enabler them yourself.

They are good in dark twisty forward/backward situations and they do light up nicely the side you are turning in. Otherwise when needed just put fog lights on manually.

Guys,

i have octavia ii 1.4 TSI but i dont have the option "Cornering Lights" in the Maxidot? Do I need to update the car's software?

Comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

i have them on, on mine and my folks Yeti has them on as standard, i live in south wales and they live in france, and we both find them incredibly useful on the twisty country lanes, im also finding them very useful on the roads around here at night where the councils have turned off the streetlights at night. So if you are in a built up area that is never fully dark then i'd say leave it but if you are in places where its pitch black then its a must.

Edited by Waplord

I have them on my Octavia Elegance 1.4Tsi and find them very useful on dark winter nights with poor visibility and street lighting.A friend who has VAG com software activated them though I think there is instructions in the Owners Manual how to do it yourself.

From what I recall when I was looking at getting mine activated, there are two settings in VAGCOM/VCDS...one to activate the fogs and another to activate it in maxidot. Unfortunately neither I nor the chap who generously offered to help knew about the separate maxidot setting at the time, meaning that I have them but have no option in maxidot to deactivate them. Must admit they are occasionally useful when parking, going around the inside lane of roundabouts etc in the dark.

i have maxidot and the option isnt there, you need to use VAGCOM/VCDS to do this, im sure you can find a friendly member in Oxford to do this its about a 2 min job if that.

Setup--> Assistant-->Bend lighting

post-51727-12858630935372_thumb.jpg

I might be wrong but I think the 'Bend Lighting' relates to the AFS II xenon system, not the fog lamps. I have the Bend Lighting option, but do not have the cornering fogs activated, so I think the fogs are on a separate option.

i have maxidot and the option isnt there, you need to use VAGCOM/VCDS to do this, im sure you can find a friendly member in Oxford to do this its about a 2 min job if that.

Who did you get to do yours? I am in Swansea and would like to get it activated on mine too (also be good if can activate the maxidot option to turn them on/off)

Hi,

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Anyone near oxford with VCDS who would like to volunteer to help?!

I live near Oxford, have Vag Com and want to enable this on mine

BUT

I'm on a course in Wales at the moment and cannot help out for a couple of weeks. If you can wait that long i'll be more than happy to sort it out, and do mine at the same time..

Phil

Can this only be enabled on the vRS with Xenon lights?

I would like to get it done before I collect my car but only have Halogen lights

Can this only be enabled on the vRS with Xenon lights?

I would like to get it done before I collect my car but only have Halogen lights

No can be enabled on VRS with halogen lights too. I've got mine switched on. There are 2 flags on controller 09 central electronics that need setting in VCDS. The first is cornering fog lights, the second is Adaptive cornering fog lights.

If you only switch on the first, the lights only come on when you turn the steering wheel. Switching the second one on brings them on with the turn signals and reverse gear.

Edited by mikel543

Hi,

I live near Oxford, have Vag Com and want to enable this on mine

BUT

I'm on a course in Wales at the moment and cannot help out for a couple of weeks. If you can wait that long i'll be more than happy to sort it out, and do mine at the same time..

Phil

Hi Phil

that would be awesome. No worries on the timing - suggest you get yours sorted out then drop me a pm when its convenient for you.

thanks!

Rob

:thumbup:

No can be enabled on VRS with halogen lights too. I've got mine switched on. There are 2 flags on controller 09 central electronics that need setting in VCDS. The first is cornering fog lights, the second is Adaptive cornering fog lights.

If you only switch on the first, the lights only come on when you turn the steering wheel. Switching the second one on brings them on with the turn signals and reverse gear.

I take it option 2 is the one to go for??

• 1 month later...

I met up with Phil (supine) last night and he kindly enabled my cornering fogs. Thanks Phil!

Only took a few seconds to do (although getting his lap top to boot properly did take some time.!)

Not a massive difference, but it certainly helps on tight bends or pulling in to a dark driveway.

More light shining at the front of the car when its dark, cost me nothing so what's not to like!

:thumbup:

Very handy when pulling into my fairly narrow road, there is a sharp bend in it and the cornering fogs light up the kerbs nicely, the xenons don't reach down that far.

I enabled them on my 2007 L&K shortly after collecting it and was forever getting the 'your car's got a wiring fault mate' comment emoticon-0112-wondering.gif