Can you get 450miles out of a tank?

I wish I could get the mpg you lot are saying....there again I only have a 1.4 mpi 8v but it does get me about 390 to the tank. I do play fuel gauge lottery and have on several occasion had 0 on left in the tank with still 15-20 miles left to go on my 60 mile a day round trip commute (petrol is 4p cheaper next to work :rofl: ).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigJase88

Over a tank full im averaging 38mpg which personally i think is pants!!

on a run it will see high 40's but thats about it! they just aint soo good on the fuel i think?

some say that the trip computer says 50-60mpg but most probably have the newer blt ones where they 'tweaked' the mpg display so you thought the mpg is awesome lol

I've only had my Fabia vRS for 3 weeks now but I am glad to report I am getting about 420-430 miles on a full tank of Shell FuelSave diesel costing about £40. I commute a 30 mile round trip to work and back 5 days a week. My drive to work is A roads and goes through 4 villages dipping down to 40mph. I do drive carefully shifting up in plenty of time and not accelerating hard. My weekend driving of about 200 miles is varied of nice Welsh quiet A roads where the Fabia can be pushed and short 10 mile journeys.

On board computer reckons about 60-62mpg but my calculations show about 55-57 mpg.

I filled up Monday evening with £41 of Shell FuelSave diesel and I hope to get 450miles and maybe more out of it this time. I have mostly long journeys in the next week mixed with my daily commute: Daily work comute Tuesday - Friday, 260 mile round trip to Cardiff at the weekend, and then 140 mile round trip to Manchester Airport on Tuesday. I'll know by the end of next week how long it has lasted me. I will report back then....

is that tank in the Fabia the same 45l as in the Ibiza? I do mostly motorway miles, but don't hang around too often and generally get at least 400 miles to a a tank. lowest I've seen is about 340 miles and that was a whole lot of driving like a ****

Most I've ever had from a vented tank is 599.9 miles - bit annoying that I didn't dare drive around the forecourt a bit to reach 600 but its not exagerating to say that the needle was well and truely bent around the red pin!

I got 405 miles this week. Recently started using Millers and also got 4 new Uniroyal Rainsport 2s fitted. But I sit around 60 on the motor. My roundtrip everyday is around 40miles (20 miles each way of motorway) so i'm guessing the engine is only starting to warm up and next thing I'm at work :dull:

Usually the computer will read up to 70mpg. On Saturday it was reading 85!! I wish :giggle:

J

Guest BigJase88

I can get 500 miles filled right up!

I would say 550 would be possible driving slower and 600 if your my grandad

I've currently done (off a full tank, non-vented) 190 miles, and i've got over 1/2 a tank left. That was after a lovely triple figure blast last night with a mate in his Rallye. Otherwise i'd still be on 3/4 of a tank having doneabout 170miles

just my 2p, i swapped my 07 1.6 tdci fiesta for this fabia vrs, i use both cars for my driving school, the fabia is marginally worse on juice on a typical day at work i.e town driving doing parking etc etc down side roads, however get it on the motorway its LOADS better! first journey i did in the car 170miles up the M5 i used only a 1/4 of a tank! 20 quids worth of diesel gets me about 200 miles. however i will say the gauge is toss, the top half takes an age to move the lower half drops like twice as fast! I put 41 litres in last week which was bang on 50 quids worth, got 445 miles out of that with 20 miles remaining according to the dash......which works out over 50 to the gallon does it not?

just my 2p, i swapped my 07 1.6 tdci fiesta for this fabia vrs, i use both cars for my driving school, the fabia is marginally worse on juice on a typical day at work i.e town driving doing parking etc etc down side roads, however get it on the motorway its LOADS better! first journey i did in the car 170miles up the M5 i used only a 1/4 of a tank! 20 quids worth of diesel gets me about 200 miles. however i will say the gauge is toss, the top half takes an age to move the lower half drops like twice as fast! I put 41 litres in last week which was bang on 50 quids worth, got 445 miles out of that with 20 miles remaining according to the dash......which works out over 50 to the gallon does it not?

I used to have a fiesta 1.4tdci for my driving school which was terrible on economy, power and torque. I've owned a fabia 1.9tdi 100 for the last 4.5years and it's the best car i've owned. More power, economy, toque and it's almost impossible to stall. My dad is an instructor aswell and he teaches in a vRS which is slightly easier to stall. I prefer to drive his car and teach in my car.

The most ive had from the normal tank(45l) was 550miles(motorway).

The most ive had from a vented tank(55l) was 686miles(motorway) on a trip to Wales.

That's my 2p!

Ah that's interesting! Would you find out from your dad, if he's had any issues with the vrs as a school car? I do find it easier to stall for the kids but in my opinion the fiesta was too easy to drive! As soon as they realised it wud move away soley off the clutch! Back to economy! What does your dad return day to day mpg? Thanks. Tom.

Ah that's interesting! Would you find out from your dad, if he's had any issues with the vrs as a school car? I do find it easier to stall for the kids but in my opinion the fiesta was too easy to drive! As soon as they realised it wud move away soley off the clutch! Back to economy! What does your dad return day to day mpg? Thanks. Tom.

Hi Tom. My dad's car has had issues with the car after he first bought it new. There was a problem engaging reverse gear to which they changed the clutch under warranty! He has also has the power steering pump changed last year again under warranty. Since then I think the console bushes have started to go. He only works part-time so the mileage is only up about 35k.

His car does on average between 325 to 400 miles for a full tank. More closer 325 than 400 though. So I think your is doing much better. It's a 2007/07 with the BLT engine. It's lovely to drive but I think my pd100 is much more economical. I think the vRS is best suited for motorway driving. If you are looking to save money of fuel in town driving then it's gotta be a 1.4tdi or the newer 1.6tdi cr engines you'll need.

Hope this helps. Muhammed.

Yes mines an 07 57 vrs se. So one of the last ones! I think most school cars will need a clutch at some point so that doesn't phase me really, but yes I did 450 easily on my last tank of fuel without filling the expansion so I'm fairly pleased with that! Still better than my collegues 1.3 colt with only manages 41mpg around town!

How do some ppl say they get 60mpg would u not get 600 miles per tank 45 litres to get 60mpg?

How accurate is the trip comp? Are most peoples readings from that or are they worked out manually ?

I think its around 5-10% out mate. I have calculated mine manually at times or I have gone from the OBD miles left till refill.

Couple of years ago I was doing Coventry to Fort William monthly . From full tank at Coventry ,I'd get to Glasgow with approx 190 miles on trip computer . So that's approx 500 miles - but lets not forget -on Motorway - I was pushing Furby .And at 75 BHP- 85+ mph( and possibly a bit more) gets a lot lower fuel consumption . Mind you on the Glasgow -Fort William bit - she showed her pedigree - more like a rally car than some three cylinder diesel wonder . Hills/corners , she lapped them up- and on highland roads - best car I'VE DRIVEN .

Couple of years ago I was doing Coventry to Fort William monthly . From full tank at Coventry ,I'd get to Glasgow with approx 190 miles on trip computer . So that's approx 500 miles - but lets not forget -on Motorway - I was pushing Furby .And at 75 BHP- 85+ mph( and possibly a bit more) gets a lot lower fuel consumption . Mind you on the Glasgow -Fort William bit - she showed her pedigree - more like a rally car than some three cylinder diesel wonder . Hills/corners , she lapped them up- and on highland roads - best car I'VE DRIVEN .

Fantastic road, the Glasgow-Fort William A82 :thumbup: Had great fun there on Saturday going home to Stornoway. My 593 mile figure mentioned earlier consists of Glasgow to Newcastle and back (to pick up a vRS front bumper), a little bit of running around Glasgow, then the following day heading from Glasgow to Uig, Skye, to catch the ferry to Harris, then a drive to Stornoway. And no fuel light :D