Choice of Yeti spec. 'S' 'SE' 'Elegance'

oldstan

Hello. Just added to the winter tyre thread and thought it might be OK to ask about the choice of spec when choosing a new Yeti.

Very few bods here seem to go for the 'E' and not many go for the 'S' spec....preferring the 'SE' and 'Elegance' . I won't list the obvious differences as you all know them anyway, but it seemed to me that the 'S' trim level offered most of the usual goodies and the main difference from the 'SE' was...

Bigger tyres (and wondered are they, perhaps, a bit less comfortable than the smaller ones on the 'S' ?)

No Parking sensors, which I find useful but can be had for £270 as an option.

Cruise Control, which I've never had but have never missed, up till now, at least.

Upgraded air-con....does this mean what other makers call 'Climate Control'?...have only had the manual type of air-con so don't know how much of an advantage it is.

Plus the other bits, all of which constitute an extra £1430.00 on the 1.2 DSG.

There's a reason for everything and I guess the extra is considered worthwhile for the majority here...but I would be very grateful to hear why you go for the SE and Elegances. Certainly I can see the 'E' might be a bit basic, but why not the 'S' ?

Many thanks in advance.

it was engine size and the 4*4 facility that drove my choice. I wanted 4 wheel drive, and the 170 engine seemed the most effective in many ways, so the Elegance spec was the only one for me.

Having started out thinking we'd get a 140 SE, by the time we'd added a few extras, the price differential between the 140 SE and the 170 Elegance had narrowed to within about £800.

By that time we had decided the 170 was the way to go.

It's probably also worth pointing out that the other cars we'd been looking out (Freelander, Tiguan, etc.) we're all more expensive cars so we didn't mind spending a bit extra on the Yeti.

it was engine size and the 4*4 facility that drove my choice. I wanted 4 wheel drive, and the 170 engine seemed the most effective in many ways, so the Elegance spec was the only one for me.

+1 :yes:

+1 :yes:

+2

And also love the leather interior and Xenon lights that come with the Elegance. Try pricing and speccing a Mini Countryman to the same level as my 'standard' Yeti Elegance and you'll see why the higher spec Yeti is so popular here.

Edited by Trevorminor

The S-trim had everything I wanted except lumbar support (which I miss). I was keen to avoid the 17 inch wheels and didn't want darker glass as it is dark enough up here in the North without additional tinting.

Actually the E-trim would have done me, I have no need for electric back windows, but the fog lights are a boon now that misty autumn weather is upon us.

Hello. Just added to the winter tyre thread and thought it might be OK to ask about the choice of spec when choosing a new Yeti.

Very few bods here seem to go for the 'E' and not many go for the 'S' spec....preferring the 'SE' and 'Elegance' . I won't list the obvious differences as you all know them anyway, but it seemed to me that the 'S' trim level offered most of the usual goodies and the main difference from the 'SE' was...

Bigger tyres (and wondered are they, perhaps, a bit less comfortable than the smaller ones on the 'S' ?)

No Parking sensors, which I find useful but can be had for £270 as an option.

Cruise Control, which I've never had but have never missed, up till now, at least.

Upgraded air-con....does this mean what other makers call 'Climate Control'?...have only had the manual type of air-con so don't know how much of an advantage it is.

Plus the other bits, all of which constitute an extra £1430.00 on the 1.2 DSG.

There's a reason for everything and I guess the extra is considered worthwhile for the majority here...but I would be very grateful to hear why you go for the SE and Elegances. Certainly I can see the 'E' might be a bit basic, but why not the 'S' ?

Many thanks in advance.

Of course it depends what's important to you but it strikes me that the lower grade Yetis are well spec'd and represent good value. They also have the 'advantage' of 16" wheels. Unlike the boss I'm a big fan of cruise control and find it particularly useful in town driving as there's no "30mph" marked on the speedo. I would also suggest that rear parking sensors are essential in the Yeti as it's high set and impossible to see objects like wheely bins that would be easy to spot in a conventional car. I think the darkened windows look good and help from a comfort/security perspective. BTW I did a side by side comparison with my neighbour's new Audi A5 at the weekend and I wouldn't swap if given the chance - in my view the spacious cabin, commanding seating position and refined ride are an unbeatable combination.

I started with a 110 TDI manual SE. Then added leather and xenons and as per point 23 in this thread decided to go for Elegance as it had all that plus more for the same money. When I ordered there were no TDI DSGs either. So that was only added later along with a bit more "scope creep". emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I think the sweet spot in the range is the 110 TDI SE. Everything you want without adding options. But three SE items stand out for me:

When I got my Audi it had Climatronic and I thought what a waste of money. I can press an AC button myself. Doh. I will never ever be without Climatronic again. I love its set and forget nature. Set it to 22 and in the winter it will add heat until it reaches that temperature. Then it will maintain it. In the summer it will add cool air to maintain 22. Easy peasy. And you never feel "boiled" since you cranked the heating up to 27 on a cold morning and only realise half way down the motorway you are in fact overheating as it is still cranking out heat at 27!!! Love it.

I also can't stand plastic steering wheels. I test drove an S with friends the other day and all of us noted that leather is the only thing one should ever have on a steering wheel - plastic just feels sweaty and awful - and that is the main contact between you and the car. The black plastic door handles on the S also feels a bit flimsy vs the silver "chrome" SE and above ones.

The third thing most people can't live without after having them is park distance sensors. But you already said you want that.

For every trim level you move up you get more for your money. If you could spec an 'E' with all the S bits it would cost more, same from 'S' to 'SE' and from 'SE' to Elegance. If you want leather or Alacantra and bixenons for example on an SE, then it would be cheaper to have an Elegance and get all the other extras.

As has been noted, some would prefer the 16" wheels on the high spec cars, me included, so I have bought some 16" steel wheels.

I won't touch a manual for my car, so I was limited to the 1.2tsi DSG or the CR140 4x4 DSG.

I wanted 4x4, so there was only one engine option available. I wanted all the toys. as I had had them on my previous L&K Octavia, so the Elegance spec was the obvious choice for me.

As others have stated above, if you went for the Tiguan for example, it would cost around £32k for similar spec to the 140DSG, which retails with the extras around £26k. A big saving. And it's a Skoda, not a VWemoticon-0140-rofl.gif.

Mike

I'm most grateful for the replies promptly offered.

Couple of points raised in those posts.....

Can someone confirm that the air-con on 'SE' & above is actually 'Climate Control' i.e set to a specific temp. and forget?

How, in practice, does Lumbar Support work? ( Never had that either ! ). Would imagine it's beneficial on longer trips?

Didn't notice in the showroom yesterday that the speedo. didn't show 30mph - and the ability to set it to a prescribed speed limit around town is something I hadn't considered.

I'd overlooked the tinted glass and should, perhaps, consider the possible benefits of that too.

Still not sure I want the 17"wheels though. Does the difference between the 16 and 17 have any bearing (for better or worse) on the availability of winter tyres?

Has anyone actually noticed, in practice, the benefits - or otherwise of the smaller wheels - or is it just a perception that the smaller ones should be more comfortable, but might, actually, not be any different (comfort wise) ?

I note a reply or two from users of DSG. As I would go for a 1.2 DSG myself I'd very much welcome (perhaps in another thread) users experience in this, (slightly heavier than some) car.

Thanks again in advance for your forebearance.....and invaluable advice.

Edited by oldstan

As far as I'm aware from the price list the SE & Elegance both have the dual zone climate control.

17" winter tyres are more expensive than 16" winter tyres in my experience. Both available, more available in the 205/55 R16, less available in 215/60 R16 & 225/50 R17.

I bought 215/60 R16 Continental WinterContact TS810.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

I'm most grateful for the replies promptly offered.

Couple of points raised in those posts.....

Can someone confirm that the air-con on 'SE' & above is actually 'Climate Control' i.e set to a specific temp. and forget?

How, in practice, does Lumbar Support work? ( Never had that either ! ). Would imagine it's beneficial on longer trips?

Didn't notice in the showroom yesterday that the speedo. didn't show 30mph - and the ability to set it to a prescribed speed limit around town is something I hadn't considered.

I'd overlooked the tinted glass and should, perhaps, consider the possible benefits of that too.

Still not sure I want the 17"wheels though. Does the difference between the 16 and 17 have any bearing (for better or worse) on the availability of winter tyres?

Thanks again in advance for your forebearance.....and invaluable advice.

Pleasure oldstan.

Yes the SE and above has what is known as climate control.

This is the lever for the lumbar support:

lumbarsupporthandle.jpg

I don't how it works alas. In and out? Or up and down too? Someone with it should be able to tell you.

If you get the £500 electric driver's seat option you get lumbar that looks like this:

electricseat.jpg

With this one you can move the lumbar up down and in and out. You control it with the round button at the front. You also get electrically folding mirrors included for that price.

In general the difference in feel between 16" and 17" wheels will be all but undetectable. I challenge anyone to drive either "blindfolded" and tell me which is which! But in general the 16" wheels should give you more give and thus a slightly softer ride but not enough to worry about it I think.

Hi just joined today.

Ordered a Yeti 4WD S 110 version - as couldn't really afford to increase the budget to the SE. But have added the parking sensors as luckily I did notice on the test drive that when you reverse cars just disappear out of view from behind you!! I've got a couple of questions thou and would be really grateful is some one out there would be able to answer them.

Is it possiable to add cruise control as an option to the S trim - the dealer said no - but i've noticed others on the site seem to have s trims and cruise control??

Got until January to change options on the car so would be great to find out. I too didn't want the bigger wheels or some of the other stuff but cruise control would be nice. I too didn't notice that the 30mph wasn't marked - and would like to hold onto the licence!! I will really miss my digital read out on my current car.

Can anyone explain what the Maxi-dot trip computer is?? What comes as standard. On my present car I can tell what the cars running mpg is, average mpg, miles to go on fuel left etc.

Does the Yeti S really have no light in the boot area. -- I'm a horse rider and it's pitch black where the horse is - surely this can't be right - or is it?

Lastly, I've ordered a spare wheel as didn't fancy the foam stuff - how much room do you lose in the boot?

Hope I haven't asked too many questions - but the salemen/ brochure is not particular clear.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Hi just joined today.

Ordered a Yeti 4WD S 110 version - as couldn't really afford to increase the budget to the SE. But have added the parking sensors as luckily I did notice on the test drive that when you reverse cars just disappear out of view from behind you!! I've got a couple of questions thou and would be really grateful is some one out there would be able to answer them.

Is it possiable to add cruise control as an option to the S trim - the dealer said no - but i've noticed others on the site seem to have s trims and cruise control??

Got until January to change options on the car so would be great to find out. I too didn't want the bigger wheels or some of the other stuff but cruise control would be nice. I too didn't notice that the 30mph wasn't marked - and would like to hold onto the licence!! I will really miss my digital read out on my current car.

Can anyone explain what the Maxi-dot trip computer is?? What comes as standard. On my present car I can tell what the cars running mpg is, average mpg, miles to go on fuel left etc.

Does the Yeti S really have no light in the boot area. -- I'm a horse rider and it's pitch black where the horse is - surely this can't be right - or is it?

Lastly, I've ordered a spare wheel as didn't fancy the foam stuff - how much room do you lose in the boot?

Hope I haven't asked too many questions - but the salemen/ brochure is not particular clear.

Hello CB and welcome. I am a newbie myself and won't presume to answer your questions as I've enough of my own except to say I agree with the need for Rev. Sensors and have found them a boon since having had my first ever set fitted. I also thought it strange that the brochure indicated an absence of any boot light on lower spec models and would appreciate clarification... and I would also specify a real spare wheel - just in case, irrespective of the space lost. If you try a search here for maxidot it gets mentioned - or a Google search is also quite informative. Others here will, I'm sure, add comprehensively to this.

Hi just joined today.

Welcome to the Forum.

I have the SE so will try and answer a few questions:-

The SE advertises the boot light over the S spec so I guess that the S spec does not have a boot light. Now the boot light in the SE is pathetic and hardly worth the effort. You do have the 12v socket in the boot and I suggest you buy a light to plug into this socket.

Spare wheel takes about 4-5" off the boot floor space.

Maxidot does give all the info about MPG, miles left etc. It also allows programming of certain functions. In the SE for example I can switch off the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) set the locks on the doors to automatic, change MPG to Ltrs/km. On the variable Service Interval system it will tell you how long to the next service. On the Elegance it does much more.

I have seen Cruise Control advertised as an accessory in one of the on-line brochures so it may be available as a retrofit - not sure.

There has been much comment on the speedo markings BUT you get used to them soon enough. i.e. 30 is half way between 20 and 40 - sounds sad but that is what you will see after a while. If you have Maxidot, it has the speed in kph so 48 is the new 30.

You can download the Owners Manual and the Yeti Brochure and the accessories brochure as .pfd files. They will give a lot of extra info.

Edited by Terfyn

Welcome from me also as a relatine 'newbie', hoping to get my hands on a SM around the turn of the year. It is good advice to download the pdf manual file from the Technical Guides section of this site: It's much easier to have begun to understand the car and how its bits and bobs work before you actually find yourself sitting in it, although - as with most manufacturers' manuals - it is not at all clear which models have which features.

It is an ongoing Meldrew-like rant of mine: in this technological day and age, why cannot a personalised manual be printed for each car, dealing only with those features that are in fact present?

I have an SE but the boot light has not worked since I picked it up. As the dealer is not handy for me, and having read on here how poor the light is anyway, I bought 2 stick on LED lights from our nearest poundshop. A bit of sticky velcro on the boot sides and I now have boot lights that actually light up the boot.

The S had pretty much all I wanted. I just wanted a capable and practical car, fit for purpose without spending too much extra cash. Only things I've added, rubber mats and boot liner (don't waste money on the factory carpet mats - rather useless), lumber support cushion, Heko wind deflectors, 3M paint protection film to the rear door edges and all the door sills, mud flaps, brighter headlamp bulbs, and set of winter tyres on steel wheels.

Welcome to the Forum.

I have the SE so will try and answer a few questions:-

The SE advertises the boot light over the S spec so I guess that the S spec does not have a boot light. Now the boot light in the SE is pathetic and hardly worth the effort. You do have the 12v socket in the boot and I suggest you buy a light to plug into this socket.

Spare wheel takes about 4-5" off the boot floor space.

Maxidot does give all the info about MPG, miles left etc. It also allows programming of certain functions. In the SE for example I can switch off the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) set the locks on the doors to automatic, change MPG to Ltrs/km. On the variable Service Interval system it will tell you how long to the next service. On the Elegance it does much more.

I have seen Cruise Control advertised as an accessory in one of the on-line brochures so it may be available as a retrofit - not sure.

There has been much comment on the speedo markings BUT you get used to them soon enough. i.e. 30 is half way between 20 and 40 - sounds sad but that is what you will see after a while. If you have Maxidot, it has the speed in kph so 48 is the new 30.

You can download the Owners Manual and the Yeti Brochure and the accessories brochure as .pfd files. They will give a lot of extra info.

Hi,

The S spec does have a boot light. My July 2010 car has one.

Cheers,

JP

My choice of a "S " 110 hp F W drive was dictated by my budget, If i had a budget of £ 20000+ I would have certainly have looked at the top of the range . My Demo Yeti was two months old had done 2000 miles , has mudflaps, rear door protective film ,boot light reversing sensors, privacy glass, floor mats and boot rubber mat, the A/C and heating is thermostatic controlled . I paid £ 13700 I am more than happy with all aspects of the car. If I were looking at Skodas over £20000 I also would give serious consideration to the superb estate .

Edited by mellyboy

Cheers all - for your really helpful responses. I shall download the pdfs. Might try the LED light solution as well - never thought of that. Would be good to use in my present car as light goes off after short while.

I've already ordered the factory fitted mats and was thinking of changing them to the rubber ones, will definately do that now. Nice to get confirmation from people who have real life experience of using the cars thou.

thanks again.

Might try the LED light solution as well - never thought of that. Would be good to use in my present car as light goes off after short while.

Look out for LED lights with an inbuilt motion detector. I bought one from Asda for £4 that would be ideal for a Yeti's boot.