TSI vRS likes Tesco Momentum99 fuel

Filled my Octavia vrs TSI last week with the tesco Momentum 99 petrol. Seems to be a diferent animal to drive with this fuel, very impressived compared to BP Ultimate. I hate to start the old debate up over which fuel is best, but has anyone else found this fuel made their car feel quicker... It also seems to react quicker, will for sure continue to use it, unless someone on here tells me how bad it is for the car.....

I run mine on this too,havent had to put normal unleaded in yet so dont know if it makes any difference but mine drives great at moment. :) My old mk 1 vrs had a noticable difference when running on normal unleaded to super unleaded.

I run mine on this too,havent had to put normal unleaded in yet so dont know if it makes any difference but mine drives great at moment. :) My old mk 1 vrs had a noticable difference when running on normal unleaded to super unleaded.

Any "Super Unleaded" should make a difference on the vRS.

If you look under the filler cap you'll see it says 98 RON (95).

The 200bhp quoted on this vehicle will have been when 98 RON fuel was used.

Use "regular" at 95 RON and you'll be using a different mapping, less power etc.

The Tesco stuff isn't badly priced at all and seems to do the trick nicely.

Any "Super Unleaded" should make a difference on the vRS.

If you look under the filler cap you'll see it says 98 RON (95).

The 200bhp quoted on this vehicle will have been when 98 RON fuel was used.

Use "regular" at 95 RON and you'll be using a different mapping, less power etc.

The Tesco stuff isn't badly priced at all and seems to do the trick nicely.

Not neccessarily true that - mine only says "95 RON min" on my fuel filler cap. I think there was a thread not so long ago on this :thumbup:

Not neccessarily true that - mine only says "95 RON min" on my fuel filler cap. I think there was a thread not so long ago on this :thumbup:

Yup as i posted this pic from my vRS.

IMG_0001.jpg

It also states in my handbook that if you use 95 Ron you may experience less performance.

I have always found my car to run better on 99 (Shell V-Power). I have tried BP Ultimate and Tesco 99 and the car noticeably feels sluggish compared to V-Power. I think a lot of it is down to how the car is run in and how often you use the fuel. My Car started life on 100 Ron fuel (I lived in Germany for the first 14months i owned it and V-Power in the Fatherland is 100 Octane) so seems to like V-Power the best.

I have no doubt that if i ran a couple of tanks of Ultimate or Tesco through it the car would adapt to the fuel. But i try to stick to V-Power wherever i can.

The discrepancy is down to the age / type of engine fitted the the vehicle. The older T-FSI (belt driven cams) show 98 RON (95) and only run properly in 'Fuel-Stratified' mode on 98+ RON. If you have a T-FSI you are well advised to use 98+ RON from what I have read on this website otherwise you risk injector problems etc.

If you have a TSI (chain driven cams) then 95 is supposed to be fine, but equally you can happily use 98+ RON.

My Car is a 2007 TFSi and quite clearly shows 95Ron as per the pic :)

I've not heard of injector problems from using 95Ron. A friend of mine has ran his vRS on 95 from day one as he refuses to pay 7p a litre extra for V-Power.

My Car is a 2007 TFSi and quite clearly shows 95Ron as per the pic emoticon-0100-smile.gif

I've not heard of injector problems from using 95Ron. A friend of mine has ran his vRS on 95 from day one as he refuses to pay 7p a litre extra for V-Power.

OK, I stand corrected - apologies Carl. I'm positive that what I said has been said on this forum a number of times before so I was paraphasing from other members comments........

My MY2006 (Jan 2007 Registered) T-FSI shows 98 RON (95) in the filler cap; that's really strange given that we will have EXACTLY the same engine !?!?!?!?!?!????

My twin charger loves momentum.

194 bhp with just an air filter on it.

Yep I have read that the VAG 1.4 TSI Twincharger engines (Ibiza Cupra/Boc Polo GTI, Fabia vRS, etc) are designed to run on 98 octane, although isn't normal Super unleaded 97 not 98 anyway or am I getting confused with the old 4 star (and LRP).

Yep I have read that the VAG 1.4 TSI Twincharger engines (Ibiza Cupra/Boc Polo GTI, Fabia vRS, etc) are designed to run on 98 octane, although isn't normal Super unleaded 97 not 98 anyway or am I getting confused with the old 4 star (and LRP).

Depends where you get the fuel from:

V-Power and Tesco Momentum are 99

Sainsurys, Esso and Texaco (I think) are 97

BP Ultimate is 102 I think

OK, I stand corrected - apologies Carl. I'm positive that what I said has been said on this forum a number of times before so I was paraphasing from other members comments........

My MY2006 (Jan 2007 Registered) T-FSI shows 98 RON (95) in the filler cap; that's really strange given that we will have EXACTLY the same engine !?!?!?!?!?!????

No need to apologise mate :thumbup:

The thing to remember here is VAG are changing this sort of thing all the time as research etc is done. My Car is a MY2007 (Registered Mar 07) and as i said it was run on 100Ron from new (as i am the only owner) and is now only run on V-Power.

Another example of VAG changing things - My vRS had it's brake fluid changed at the 2 Year point. Which is what is to be done according to the service manual. My MY2008 L&K service manual says the same thing. However when i took it in for a brake fluid change recently my dealer showed me the TSB which states that the first Fluid change is to be done after 3 years and then every 2 years thereafter.

With regards to 95 Ron the only thing i have ever heard of is a bit of a lumpy idle, less performance & less mpg. The ECU is designed to just pull back if it detects inferior quality fuel.

BP Ultimate is 97 unless you specifically buy BP Ultimate 102 which is around £2.60 per litre (No that's not a Typo :o) and is sold in very few BP garages.

Edited by vRSCarl

I've used a few different ones and Shell V-Power always seems a bit more responsive than even the Tesco 99. My local Shell garage blew up a few weeks ago tho, so when I next fill up, it's a bit of a drive to the next V-Power garage!!! :giggle:

The inside of my fillercap clearly says:

98 RON (95)

Mine is a January 2007 vRS.

I just, wrongly it would seem, assume that it would be the same recommendation on all cars of the same model.

So what exactly Skoda have done to some models that means they run as well on 95 as they do on 98 I don't know.

It is however possible that those with 95 RON on were originally destined for outside of the UK.

Many countries don't have anything better than 95 RON - so it's almost as if the sticker is saying 95 RON - because that is all you're going to be able to get anyway.

Evidence of experience seems to confirm that the vrs runs better on the premium fuels and of those, I prefer Shell v.power but will give the Tesco one a try too.... my car always seem to run just a little better on the premium 100 stuff you can get in Germany and I can't help feeling disappointed that we can't get that grade over here - Shouldn't be surprised really since Skoda do actually tell you quite clearly that it is meant to run on the premium stuff.

Shell V power is the best fuel widely available

Tesco Momentum is a slightly changed recipe of Tesco 99 and is very good but not as good as Shell especially since the increase in ethanol in recent times*

Texaco Super unleaded is very good

BP Ultimate is no better than all the other 98 ron/super unleaded fuels

If your ecu can take advantage of the better fuel (It reduces detonation and permits more ignition timing) you will get more power , if not you wont. V power has decent detergents in it though which can clean out the fuel system a bit and some people experience a performance boost due to the injectors spraying better etc

*cue someone posting the Thorney Motorsport tests where Tesco came top 1) The recipe has changed since then 2) Look who sponsors Thorney motorsports