Conti Wintercontact TS 810

Hi guys

Im going to order some winter tyres as soon as the temps drop and have been quoted by my local tyre guy for these:

Conti Wintercontact TS810 @ £150 each fitted.

Anyone used these tyres and does the price look about right?

Also, will it be ok just to put them on the front. Iv got sportscontact 2 on the back which have only done 1,500 miles.

Thanks.

Hi guys

Im going to order some winter tyres as soon as the temps drop and have been quoted by my local tyre guy for these:

Conti Wintercontact TS810 @ £150 each fitted.

Anyone used these tyres and does the price look about right?

Also, will it be ok just to put them on the front. Iv got sportscontact 2 on the back which have only done 1,500 miles.

Thanks.

You don't want grippy wheels on one axle and slippy wheels on another. You will swap ends. Buy 4.

Edited by evan15281

My Skoda dealer in Norway that they are only using Conti as winter tyres on Octavias. I asked him if it was a big difference using the same tyres on two different cars? He then mentioned something about 2 persons where one weighs 120kg and the other 70kg, They will experience a big difference when both using the same shoes when it comes to comfort and grip...

Don´t know if this was any help :S

Its a company car, so dont really want to get new wheels for it as I would probably have to spend my own money. Is it really a bad idea to run two winter tyres?

Conti TS830 are less then 100 a pop. That should be pretty good for occasional snow in UK.

Im looking at the standard size vrs tyres, can you get that size for under £100?

It would probably be cheaper to get four secondhand steel wheels and buy four Vredestein SnowTrac. These rated very highly in last year's ADAC (German 'AA') winter tyre test and have the benefit of being usable at warmer temperatures too.

The problem with using the exisiting wheels is that there will be a fair old cost (£40+) each time you swap the tyres over. So that's probably £80 just for one winter.

Edited by Hauptmann

Is it really a bad idea to run two winter tyres?

If you drive spiritedly then yes.

Its a company car, so dont really want to get new wheels for it as I would probably have to spend my own money.

If you need to use the existing wheels perhaps you might look for reasonable all season tyres - link is to a comparative test on Hankook's website but contains information about tyres from other manufacturers that were included in the testing.

I have just had four Continental Winter contact TS830 205 55R 16 fitted for £410 at Kwik fit after much searching they seemed to be cheapest for a quality tyre that does well in all the reviews. (See tyrereviews.co.uk )

I was concerned about the reduced speed rating available for winter tyres i.e H instead of V or 131mph as opposed to 149 mph. It seems it is acceptable to reduce the speed rating for winter tyres as long as you do not exceed the tyre rating.

I did inform the insurance company just in case but they were o.k and just made a note of the fact that I had changed to winter tyres at that rating.

For me at least,130 mph is fast enough in the UK especially in winter.

I thought about getting new wheels but in the end just decided to change the tyres each season at a cost of approx £50 a time so say £100 a year.

Getting steel wheels probably cheaper over the three years or so I keep a car but I like the look of Alloys.

I am however considering getting another set of Alloys for the summer tyres as I really think my next car will be another Octavia.

kwik-fit even offer to store the summer tyres but I decided against that, not knowing how they will be stored and the chance of a **** up come next April.

It would probably be cheaper to get four secondhand steel wheels and buy four Vredestein SnowTrac. These rated very highly in last year's ADAC (German 'AA') winter tyre test and have the benefit of being usable at warmer temperatures too.

The problem with using the exisiting wheels is that there will be a fair old cost (£40+) each time you swap the tyres over. So that's probably £80 just for one winter.

I have a set of 16" steels with SnowTrac 3's for my Scout, they were excellent last winter and I am putting them back on at the weekend :thumbup: see my post http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/148533-vrs-tdi-snow-tyres/page__p__1854629entry1854629

I have T810 on all wheels and they performed excellent on slippery conditions (snow and ice), even on slopes in the Alps!

Also, will it be ok just to put them on the front.
Only if you want a serious car accident. It is extremely unsafe, you car will end up in a spin.

I have just put two Hankook Icebear W300's on the front on my new vRS, they are 225/40/18 92v and the tread pattern looks exactly the same as the Cont sport contact, apart from the increased number of slits in the tread and softer compound , so look great, these have the snow/mountain symbol on the side. £115 per wheel fitted and they will charge me £7.50 per tyre, when I come to put my summer tyres back on.

I spoke the guys at the tyre centre and they said they said that it would be fine to just change two tyres on the front with the amount of snow we get in the UK. They seem very good so far, they seem to handle just the same as the summer conti's with no increase in noise.

Last year I took the vRS off the drive and couldn't get it back on the level of grip was so bad. So i bought some snow socks, these were great, but you have to take them off when you drive for long stints on tarmac or they wear out.

So hopefully these should be OK.

15 x 6 steel wheels at £48 each

195/65/15 Goodyear Ultragrip 7+ at £61.10 delivered (incl VAT) from mytyres.co.uk

How do you know when winter starts and finishes....?

Easy if you've got a spare set.

dill

Im fairly sure you will need 16" wheels to fit over the brakes on the vRS

I bought 4 second hand 16" vw steel wheels and looking at 4 205/55/16 Michelin Alpin A4 's to go on them got some good reviews

These would be the same size as the fullsize spare that comes with the vRS (mine anyway)

Edited by Dallan