new car time :/

hi all

after many months of falling in and out of love with my skoda i have come to the idea of selling it due to the amount of money it's costing me,

ive had to many parts on my vrs and the last couple months ive been trying to improve the handling i.e coil overs, uprated bushes and better tyres (filled with nitrogen) and it has helped abit but not to the point where im happy,

ive just had the car serviced and 4 new tyres and cam belt and all the other joys of 50,000 mile car!

now my pocket and bank balence is now looking rather unhealthy and im still not falling back in love with her :(

now what im about to say will cause lots of abuse lol

my dad had a volvo s40 d4 for a day when his car was being serviced and let me take it out for a little blast and omg!! it handles so well and goes like stink!!

yes i know it's a volvo but it's a 5 cylinder turbo diesel and it pulls like a train!

for a 20 year old lad to say i would rather have a volvo rather than a vrs hot hatch sounds strange but i love how big it is as it gives you a better feel on the road and tbh the whole car feels so much better than the skoda and has a better finish and quality, lots of bits have broken in my skoda and im getting bored of the creeks and rattles from my car,

needless to say unless my skoda pulls something amazing out the bag it'll be going and being replaced :(

sorry

simon

skoda fabia vrs se

I'm sure you were insured on this Volvo eh :-0 An accident only takes a split second to happen.....

I was insured on an S60 T5 a week after passing my test, and then its successor the D5. (I was 17 at the time)

They were both fantastic cars so much so that I considered the C30 T5 instead of my civic. Just felt a little "grown up"

I'm sure you were insured on this Volvo eh :-0 An accident only takes a split second to happen.....

WTF has that to do with his post?! :dull:

Anyway, i think you`d be better thinking for a bit before getting rid. I use to be one these people that changed cars every two weeks, until i realised which one i wanted. Sometimes a different car is nice for a day or two but weather id like to drive them everyday i dont know.

Matt

I am sympathetic to your needs...

I bought the VRS for my wife a few months ago. Looked up all the reviews...thought it was a decent motor..

I have had the following problems/work done..

- New cambelt

- New waterpump

- Two CV joints replaced

- Rear Doors Leaking (fixed after two tries!)

- Boot not opening (Temporarily fixed)

- FM Radio not working (Feck knows whats happening here!)

- Blown Rear Speakers/Tweeters

- Creaking Chair

- Rattling passenger door speaker

Now i have a squeaking front everytime i corner. I am assuming the Front ARB bushes are gone or its a wheel bearing..

I'm lucky my wife hasn't divorced me yet. I have been ordered to NEVER buy another Skoda ever again...

I'm chucking money at this motor like its going out of fashion...

Edited by Beancounter1980

An accident only takes a split second to happen.....

Are YOU testamant to that? :giggle: Thats why I always got my condoms from a reputable chemist shop, not a market stall selling those split "Seconds". :D

I bought the VRS for my wife a few months ago. Looked up all the reviews...thought it was a decent motor..

- New cambelt

- New waterbet

- Two CV joints replaced

- Creaking Chair

Now i have a squeaking front everytime i corner. I am assuming the Front ARB bushes are gone or its a wheel bearing..

I'm lucky my wife hasn't divorced me yet. I have been ordered to NEVER buy another Skoda ever again...

Sounds like you have not had the best experience with Skoda. Other than general wear and tear items (brakes, cambelt etc) My fabia had only needed new bushes and a glowplu in 14 months of ownership.

Hopefully things will be on the up for you soon!

now what im about to say will cause lots of abuse lol

for a 20 year old lad to say i would rather have a volvo rather than a vrs hot hatch sounds strange but i love how big it is as it gives you a better feel on the road and tbh the whole car feels so much better than the skoda and has a better finish and quality, lots of bits have broken in my skoda and im getting bored of the creeks and rattles from my car,

needless to say unless my skoda pulls something amazing out the bag it'll be going and being replaced :(

sorry

simon

skoda fabia vrs se

I would expect the finish and quality to be better - much! A D4 is about £23,000 - £25,000 new - it's like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a 3-series BMW.

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with you vRS - mine is 6-yrs old and the only problem I've had is a leaky rear door (touch wood :) ) - not to say that isn't a pain though!

Edited by Wee Bri

- New cambelt

- New waterpump

- Two CV joints replaced

- Creaking Chair

Pff what do you expect, BMW build quality? ;) None of the above are very serious faults that can't be fixed on the cheap - i am however very interested how you managed to kill both CV joints, that must take some effort (or be uber unlucky :))

All cars need servicing and the suspension, upgrades were not really necessary as you will never get a VRS to handle well without thousands being spent. It doesn't really sound like you have had many problems apart from the regular servicing and tyres which all cars need. I don't think you have much to beef about. If you are contemplating a Volvo S40 then your bank balance will suffer even more, how much for one of them and, oh yes servicing on top eh!!

All cars need servicing and the suspension, upgrades were not really necessary as you will never get a VRS to handle well without thousands being spent. It doesn't really sound like you have had many problems apart from the regular servicing and tyres which all cars need. I don't think you have much to beef about. If you are contemplating a Volvo S40 then your bank balance will suffer even more, how much for one of them and, oh yes servicing on top eh!!

the handling is decent on my vrs.i dont know why ppl always call the handling.maybe the car needs a decent driver.

Theres a suprise :-0 Maybe you could let me know the dealers phone number so I can give them a call tomorrow and book my car in for a service....

My local dealer happily provides a courtesy car insured for myself and my husband. They are West End Garage in Broxburn, 01506 855300.

My local dealer happily provides a courtesy car insured for myself and my husband. They are West End Garage in Broxburn, 01506 855300.

Think Steven Eagle Toyota in Aylesbury did too for my mum and dad. When we asked, they said I was too young (>21) but that's not the same as saying no, one person only.

Back on topic - the idea of a Volvo appeals to me too, even worse as I'm only 19! :rofl: But the interiors usually put me off on the previous generations, maybe something to consider?