Gran Turismo 5 finally has a release date

roo

I've only played a couple of hours of GT5 so far, and it's ok but not an earth shattering leap over Forza 3.

The graphics are good but not leagues ahead and the huge number of cars is pretty irrellevant as there's only so many you need.

I'll give it a few more hours before making my mind up - maybe once I've got some quicker cars and some weather I'll be a bit more impressed.

In GT5 so far my car always seem to be much slower away from the line but then it's pretty easy to nip past everyone on lap 1 and then it's just a procession around the track. Again, I'm hoping it may show a better balance after a while but from memory the older GT games always used to let you enter a Skyline into far too many races.

The online racing would be an ideal solution, but it sounds like there's no decent matchmaking so you get pitted against 1000bhp monsters no matter what you drive.

Few things:

~ Read that some cars are done more detailed than others because manufactures had to pay a 'premium' for that :wonder:

~ Huge numbers of cars shows the impressiveness and level of realism detail they've put onto the game dont you think? Just because one does not use them all doesn't mean its not worth mentioning.

~ Try playing it with aids off and simulation mode. Surely that will make it more challenging?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been playing this most of the weekend and have to say its growing on me more and more.

I have Forza 3 which I love, however I found the Forza career very boring, I was sick of doing 10-20 lap races which took forever - The Ai were either too good or shockingly bad.

I have to say I was a little disappointed with GT5, but only due to the copy and paste cars from GT4...oh and the fact it does not feel like it took 5 years to produce. However, I'm enjoying it - I love the licenses and the special events.

The handling is good, you have to drive the cars a lot smoother than you do in Forza 3. Graphics are class leading in some ways, then the replay pans on a blurred texture from the ps2 era... But I can't put it down :)

~ Huge numbers of cars shows the impressiveness and level of realism detail they've put onto the game dont you think? Just because one does not use them all doesn't mean its not worth mentioning.

Not really sure.

Just taking Forza, there may only be 400 cars (IIRC), but the only thing stopping me from owning most of them, was credits and the region i chose to start on. GT is a completely different beast. Im starting the Spec A Amateur races, and can i find anywhere to buy a Sports SUV? Theres apparently 8 of them to choose from, but i cant buy them from the dealership, and they aren't available in the second hand car shop, stupid decision.

So, in theory, theres 1000+ cars, but i can only buy 200 of them. Does it really count if i cant purchase the cars? Who on earth is going to enter the Toyota Yaris championship, and buy the least powerful of the 8 different models?

The handling is good, you have to drive the cars a lot smoother than you do in Forza 3.

Not sure if you played F2, but it was a great game with a wheel, but really difficult with a controller, the moment you got onto the faster cars, and turned the driver aids off. Forza 3 became a lot more balanced with a controller, it was really good once you got onto the powerful cars.

I've not got onto the particuarly fast cars yet on GT, but GT definitely is showing signs that the fast cars will be difficult on the controller with driver aids off.

Right time for my thoughts

Its more of the same, which tbh is what I was after :)

Yes there could have been more after five years, but what exactly ???

One thing that has caught my eye is the lack of full support for the G25, you would think they could have got that in.

I think the handling of the cars is better, I have a G25 but the pad seems easier.

The wheel make the Zonda R just about controllable lol

The wheel make the Zonda R just about controllable lol

Haha i made my dream (or so i thought) BMW M5. Pah! Better off walking round the track :giggle: 660bhp in ~1200kg stripped out M5 = canny put your foot down anywhere.

I'm blown away with the steering wheel, the feedback is ace, not like i remember force feedback steering wheels on the original xbox or on PC games from around that era. You can pretty much feel what the tyres are up to, they've got the "you're pushing too hard" feeling down to a T.

Ok after a couple of days with the game I'm on a love hate relationship with the game atm.

~ Stupidly sensitive when you have g25, all aids off and driving a MR or FR car.

~ AI is annoying at times, you overtake, your on the racing line, they come and swipe your rear end, this is noticed most often with an MR/FR car.. :dull:

~ B-spec is a bit hit and miss? I made a 200bhp yaris for my guy and he occasionally struggles to get first on easy races... and other cases he will not get a podium..

~ Where's the upgrade in brakes?

~ 2nd hand market is really annoying! I haven't done any classical races yet because whenever they're on sale I haven't got enough money! gah!

~ EP3 for 20k?! Just no..

~ I do like however the 'GT life' style though, I get submerged in the game for hours and hours.

~ licences are fun :)

~ lots of pretty cars, I keep buying them then I have no money to progress :( :p

A-Spec lvl 9

B-Spec lvl 5

Its crazy that you cant upgrade brakes you can only adjust the brake balance in the setup menu. im only keeping the game now because a few of my mates have it now and online should be a laugh

Can anyone score a gold on the first Merc 300SL challenge at the Nurburgring?

I can't get below 1:37 :no: I don't have much hair left to pull out.

Got the 1:36.4xx first time but couldn't get any better and lost patience.. TC: 1 everything else off.

If you use the 'suggested line' only as a guide and not the racing line it may give better results.

Annoying how you cant set brake bias's when its not your own car :p

Im at level 18 (A Spec) and 21 (B Spec). And now at another one of those situations where i need a car that i cant buy, and doesn't seem to be turning up in the marketplace.

Got a million credits lying around, and i need a little something special for the Grand Turismo All Stars tournement. My 956bhp Zonda R might do the job for me, but im going to need something with a lot more poke for my retarded B Spec drivers to be able to win the tournement. All the cars i can see that might do the job, cost 10 million +.

Has anyone actually figured out what you are supposed to do with B Spec yet? I've only got to level 21, by giving my drivers cars which hugely outclass all the other drivers.

Has anyone actually figured out what you are supposed to do with B Spec yet? I've only got to level 21, by giving my drivers cars which hugely outclass all the other drivers.

+1..

The theory is, keep them in the middle of the indicator, until he catches up with the person in front. Use increase pace/overtake at certain points on the track to initiate the move and hopefully it sticks.. Its rather annoying though..

Alternatively you can pressure the driver in front depending how good your driver is with the car and soon they will make a mistake..

I haven't seen the Zonda yet :( just bought a lemon of a car (new mclaren mp14something), now I need to save up again.....

I am owning everything in my 250bhp mx5...

Only problem is my bspec driver cant handle it lol.

tbh im bored of the game now.. definately doesnt have the same hook as forza does...

Oh and theres only one year to wait before forza4 emoticon-0103-cool.gif

I am owning everything in my 250bhp mx5...

Only problem is my bspec driver cant handle it lol.

I know, i was running a 500bhp TVR, race lightened, and with full race gearbox and suspension in the british lightweights competition, and my B Spec idiot kept getting overtaken by a driver in a bog standard MGF.

I eventually get him to the front of the pack, he spins the car, then waits for everyone to pass, before moving. Had baby not been on the floor, i think i'd have thrown my controller in anger.