V7 maps for Columbus

Do the upgrade whilst the car is actually running, I had exactly the same thing, sat watching the progress scale in -8 for 20 mins with the car off and it went to 95% then restarted, gave up eventually, next morning the maps were not present and the unit was asking for the DVD, re-inserted it drove for 5 mins to drop my little girl at the childminders and half way there it suddenly announced it had done it and all has been working perfectly with full 7 digit PC search ever since! :thumbup:

Managed to get out for a long drive today. Unlike a couple of days ago, when I ejected the map DVD, it popped out without a fuss, and a message about 'verifying map info' popped up. After a few seconds, that cleared, and everything si working like a dream.

Thanks, Skud.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a strange experience loading the maps - not to bore you with the details, but I was fairly sure the Columbus was toast as it reset back to VW colours, no HDD detected, no sound etc. After doing a successful firmware upgrade to 2764 (so far, touch wood) it duly asked me for my map data when switching to the map. Never gave me any progress indicator etc and never said it was finished, but having run around the car for a couple of days it is quite happy now running without the disc in the drive and reports to be version 7333.

........does anyone know the difference between 6.1 and 7 version ?

..i cant really see any diference after the upgrade to the v.7 and v.7 swept my speed cameras away.. :wonder:

The map data is more up to date and you get full 7 digit postcode support if your firmware supports it... Speed cameras were never part of the official map DVD and had to be added anyway so you if you want speed cameras on the map, then you'll need to add them to the DVD

The map data is more up to date and you get full 7 digit postcode support if your firmware supports it... Speed cameras were never part of the official map DVD and had to be added anyway so you if you want speed cameras on the map, then you'll need to add them to the DVD

Hi - wonder if any pundits can assist - I now have V7 - and would love to get speed cams - is this something I can buy? Can't see any ref to them on the site. Do they need to be added to the map CD (not sure if that's even possible, and prefer not to mess with it) or can they be loaded themselves separately, do we know? I wonder how they implement - just show as POIs, or can there be an advance warning, a la Tom Tom for instance?

I am sure others must be wondering about this? Thanks in advance for any information - I am bowled over by the help here. As an aside, it is irritating that, after spending so much on the Columbus, VAG seem to create an obstacle course to get any decent information about it. Even the Manual sucks IMOemoticon-0124-worried.gif

Edited by roguebrit

Hi - wonder if any pundits can assist - I now have V7 - and would love to get speed cams - is this something I can buy? Can't see any ref to them on the site. Do they need to be added to the map CD (not sure if that's even possible, and prefer not to mess with it) or can they be loaded themselves separately, do we know? I wonder how they implement - just show as POIs, or can there be an advance warning, a la Tom Tom for instance?

I am sure others must be wondering about this? Thanks in advance for any information - I am bowled over by the help here. As an aside, it is irritating that, after spending so much on the Columbus, VAG seem to create an obstacle course to get any decent information about it. Even the Manual sucks IMOemoticon-0124-worried.gif

You don't get advance warning, they have to be added as POIs and can then be selected to be shown on the screen...

Hope this helps

I haven't bothered and have an app on my phone that can be easily updated and warns me of the cameras...

You don't get advance warning, they have to be added as POIs and can then be selected to be shown on the screen...

Hope this helps

I haven't bothered and have an app on my phone that can be easily updated and warns me of the cameras...

Thank you, Raglits, for that and the link - looks very interesting. I see why they need to be added to a CD now - they drop into the appropriate place in the file structure, as I used to do with my old 'SD card driven' Tom Tom.

I am thinking that simple POI implementation is not really a viable, or safe, way to go. I think I will also have to consider another solution for speed cams - it pees me off somewhat considering how much the Columbus cost though!

I am sure others must be wondering about this? Thanks in advance for any information - I am bowled over by the help here. As an aside, it is irritating that, after spending so much on tas he Columbus, VAG seem to create an obstacle course to get any decent information about it. Even the Manual sucks IMOemoticon-0124-worried.gif

xs

..well for those that want speedcameras poi etc you can add your own ...if you goole you will find some people explaining how to do it ...i added my own speedcameras wasnt too hard ...the first time i wasnt sucessful but got the second time ..as you need to make a new disk with maps and speed cameras and burn in a low speed ....only problem when i done the update from v.6.1 to 7 maps my speed cameras somehow disappeared ..so now i have to make a new disk with v. 7 maps and speedcameras and update...anyway if anyone needs more help let me know.........

xs

..well for those that want speedcameras poi etc you can add your own ...if you goole you will find some people explaining how to do it ...i added my own speedcameras wasnt too hard ...the first time i wasnt sucessful but got the second time ..as you need to make a new disk with maps and speed cameras and burn in a low speed ....only problem when i done the update from v.6.1 to 7 maps my speed cameras somehow disappeared ..so now i have to make a new disk with v. 7 maps and speedcameras and update...anyway if anyone needs more help let me know.........

Thanks, John, for that. I have decided to go the cowards route, and have invested in a Road Angel. That way I can keep bang up to date, get all warnings etc, and also get the SatNav speed - all of which I miss from my old el cheapo Tom Tom - that nevertheless worked superbly well for 100 quid for many years!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, popped into my dealer to see about V7 disc. Seems if you want it you can buy the CD for £199.00 +VAT, or wait for your next service and get it loaded for free. No CD. Not sure if this applies to all but I did have a moan that occasionally 'the voice' says turn right and the display tells me to turn left. Seems there are some sprogs in V6.

One other thing I was told was that when loading V7 do not run the engine and use the Skoda battery charger (my words not theirs) seems that if the battery voltage drops below normal running volts the upload stops and will only start again when the volts return to running normal. Probably why some of the uploads took so long. Garage says should take 30 > 45 minutes, if everything loads first time.

Chris.

I have read through most of this thread - however I still have a quick question I hope someone can answer.

I have a Columbus that was bought from EBay ages ago.

It wasn't cheap, but at the same time I've got no real way of knowing just how legal it is.

The unit is running quite an old version of the firmware and I really don't want to update it - just one unit becomming a brick is too many for me to want to risk it.

So I do NOT have the firmware that would support 7 digit postcode's etc.

Howerver, can I still install the V7 maps onto my unit.

I understand the advanced features won't be there for me - but would I still be able to update the actual maps to the latest?

Ta

So I do NOT have the firmware that would support 7 digit postcode's etc.

Howerver, can I still install the V7 maps onto my unit.

I understand the advanced features won't be there for me - but would I still be able to update the actual maps to the latest?

Ta

Yes you can update to the v7 maps and benefit from the newer maps. As you mention, the 7 digit postcode, current road speed limit notification and other minor tweaks will not be available until you upgrade the firmware.

Argh - difference of opinion:

you need FW 2660 or higher to run v7 maps

Yes you can update to the v7 maps and benefit from the newer maps. As you mention, the 7 digit postcode, current road speed limit notification and other minor tweaks will not be available until you upgrade the firmware

I guess the V7 maps won't even "take" if the firmware isn't up to running them - so I guess I'll just give it a go.

Gents

You can run any map version with any version of firmware.

Its just the added functionality of Speed Limit Display & 7 Digit Postcode searching that is limited by the firmware.

I now feel happier about buying myself an upgrade - didn't want to fork out £80 and find I couldn't use it.

Edited by Stoofa

• 3 weeks later...

I took delivery of my new car last week with v6.1 of the maps.

I called the dealers today who were unaware that v7 is released. "We just send you the disks that Skoda send us" etc, etc. They will check with Customer Services and get back to me.

I'm not expecting this to be easy :(

Well, after a few calls to the leasing company, and a couple of further refusals, I got home yesterday to find the dealers (Fish Brothers in Swindon) had posted the V7 disk to me :-)

A Result. Now just got to load it.

Cheers

Paul

I have Columbus "3T0 035 680A" unit on my Skoda Superb(2011). Yesterday i updated the firmware to 2764 without any problem, all the functions are okey now including climatronic display, Maxidot, steering wheel control.

I also upgraded the navigation map from V6 to V7. At first it calculated the route from Prag to Turkey(i am from Turkey),it was sgtrange. After that it behaved as i was in West Europe. After all it said "please insert the navigation DVD", but as i said i had upgraded it. I inserted the DVD for a few minutes, i ejected nad everything was okey.

This morning when i tried to enter navigation it said "please insert the navigation DVD" again and now there is no nav. or map.

What is the problem and What should i do?

• 3 months later...

Hiya

Thanks to this forum, ive solved the rsap / bluetooth issue, now just need to get the 7 digit postcode sorted and im done!!

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction (or even lend me a disc)of where I can get these? If so, please send me a PM. Beer tokens are waiting!!

Thanks in advance

Paul