Winter tyres are for softies..................discuss

Brimma

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and to Mr Ree, I'm running Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's with 205/55/16's and my suspension is lowered 40mm. No rubbing for me, go for it :thumbup:

Well I'm struggling with that one tbh.

Just been down to Kwik Fit to purchase the last set of 205/55/16's they could obtain.

Put them on and it immediately became evident that the back ones were rubbing against the back of the wheel arch cover that covers the chassis leg.

Needless to say, I've come home without them.

Must say that they were most helpful btw, and even disposed of the two old knackered tyres from the spare rims that they were 'trying out' first, WIITHOUT charge.

Edited by Mr Ree

The tyre size should fit without any problems.

The problem here is the rim width in combination with the ET.

If the rim goes in too far, it will rub. If the rim stands out too mich, it will rub too.

The tyre size should fit without any problems. The problem here is the rim width in combination with the ET.

If the rim goes in too far, it will rub. If the rim stands out too mich, it will rub too.

Well yes, and according to our learned friend Mr Roll,they indeed should.

So, why won't they fit my Fabia then ey?

Is the car a bit like me, a one off 'odd ball'? :nerd:

Oops, didnt know you are driving a Fabia. For the Fabia this size is too big. It is the size that should fit an Octavia.

My wifes Roomy has 195/55 15 winters, so in 16" it should be 205/45 16 or 195/50 16.

Circumfence of a 205/55 16 is two sizes too big.

I had steelies and Winter Tyres for my Mk1 Superb and they where brilliant. When visiting friends and relatives in Hamburg last christmas I was able to get up and about anywhere I needed to, where a brit registered 4x4 (Can't remember if it was a range rover sport or a Cayanne) could not get out of the hotel car park as it was on a steep slope.

They get a thumbs up from me. They may not be for everyone, but if you do a lot of miles, and in my case I am self employed so I can't let customers down, they are a worthwhile investment. I am looking for Steelies for the current motor and will then stick a set on them to keep for bad weather. I sold my Superb wheels with Tyres for a respectable sum as well, leaving me only out of pocket by £80 ish quid.

Oops, didnt know you are driving a Fabia. For the Fabia this size is too big. It is the size that should fit an Octavia.

My wifes Roomy has 195/55 15 winters, so in 16" it should be 205/45 16 or 195/50 16.

Circumfence of a 205/55 16 is two sizes too big.

I'm assuming that Mr Roll has a Fabia, only he didn't actually state that in his original post. There is a piccy of one in his signature however.

I need an explanation as to how you actually managed to fir 55 profile tyres under your rear arches please Mr Roll! :yes:

I am afraid Mr Roll is Mr Static at the moment with the 55 profile tyres under his Fabia emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Well I can only assume that he's either taken a whopping big sledge hammer to the rear chassis leg or he's deaf and with no sense of smell for burning rubber!! :D

You will have to keep us updated on the order, as there seem to be a few people having problems with orders from 'MyTyres'. :thumbup:

I heard a few stories but needed tyres for wifes car and they were the only ones who had stock

1st tip= pay with PayPal- much easier

Ordered tyres last weekend- got immediate email acknowledging payment. Got 2nd email 2 days later (Mon) with tracking details

The tyres left East Germany monday afternoon, were delivered to my chosen tyre depot wednesday

That is pretty impressive if you ask me....

I think the fuss was about people having credit cards rejected and having to make bank transfers- Paypal saolved all this for me

Faultless service from mytyres

I travelled quite a lot of snowy roads today with my newly fitted winter tyres and the grip level is astonishing compared with summer tyres. Cruised up hills where there were several stuck cars with spinning wheels. B) Rather more importantly, the braking is if anything even more impressive than the grip when accelerating!

You will have to keep us updated on the order, as there seem to be a few people having problems with orders from 'MyTyres'. :thumbup:

Well here's my update with My-Tyres , for Pagey and others.

At the time they were far cheaper than anyone else and more importantly, had stock.

I had no problem with payment via CC and the ordrer was dispatched on 3/12/10 as promised. It arrived to be delivered on 8/12/10 , so 4 working days from dispatch, as promised.

My-tyres is one of many multinational internet domains used in different countries by Delti, the parent group.

The tyres are dispatched from Germany.

Unfortunately, thats where it gets problematic. The courier My-tyres use ( DPD ), tried to deliver twice after the closing time of my disignated tyre fitter, at 7pm and 10pm (!?)

So they got returned to Germany as non-delivered. I only got wind of this as they were on the way back.

So, no problem with my-tyres as such, but in the scale of things I still didn't get my tyres!!!

Was lucky enough though to get the last set of 205/55/16 Conti Winter Contacts from my local Kwik Fit @ £394, fitted.

Considering my-tyres are now charging £150 for these, it was probably for the best... £300 for the Achilles Tyres I ordered was more palatable, but I now have what are generally regarded as one of the best winter tyres on my motor.

And it's just started snowing again as I write.... :think:

Would I order from My-Tyres again? Yes - but only at the beginning of November, before the stupid price increases and well before the bad weather sets in.

And finally

Softie +1 :giggle:

Edited by modra_vrs

Well here's my update with My-Tyres , for Pagey and others.

At the time they were far cheaper than anyone else and more importantly, had stock.

I had no problem with payment via CC and the ordrer was dispatched on 3/12/10 as promised. It arrived to be delivered on 8/12/10 , so 4 working days from dispatch, as promised.

My-tyres is one of many multinational internet domains used in different countries by Delti, the parent group.

The tyres are dispatched from Germany.

Unfortunately, thats where it gets problematic. The courier My-tyres use ( DPD ), tried to deliver twice after the closing time of my disignated tyre fitter, at 7pm and 10pm (!?)

So they got returned to Germany as non-delivered. I only got wind of this as they were on the way back.

So, no problem with my-tyres as such, but in the scale of things I still didn't get my tyres!!!

Was lucky enough though to get the last set of 205/55/16 Conti Winter Contacts from my local Kwik Fit @ £394, fitted. Considering my-tyres are now charging £150 for these, it was probably for the best... £300 for the Achilles Tyres I ordered was more palatable, but I now have what are generally regarded as one of the best winter tyres on my motor.

And it's just started snowing again as I write.... :think:

Would I order from My-Tyres again? Yes - but only at the beginning of November, before the stupid price increases and well before the bad weather sets in.

And finally

Softie +1 :giggle:

The last set up here at my local Kwik Fit was going to cost me a whopping great £508 IF they'd actually fitted under the rear wheel arches.

I suspect there's been some obscene potential profiteering going on here. :|

The last set up here at my local Kwik Fit was going to cost me a whopping great £508 IF they'd actually fitted under the rear wheel arches.

I suspect there's been some obscene potential profiteering going on here. :|

Saw your post regarding getting them on your car. Sorry you didn't get them on.

Well I was quoted about that, then they said they could do me a discount today at "only" £422. When I came to pay the price was £394. Kept quite, paid up , left quickly ;)

@Brimma - are you there yet?

Saw your post regarding getting them on your car. Sorry you didn't get them on.

Well I was quoted about that, then they said they could do me a discount today at "only" £422. When I came to pay the price was £394. Kept quite, paid up , left quickly ;)

@Brimma - are you there yet?

I would say that that is a very good price.

Under £100 a corner for Continentals. :o

Bargain at ANY time of the year I reckon. :thumbup:

The softies are still driving, how about the others? emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Here in Germany at the moment you wont be able to get away and stop at crossings, even with softie tyres it is hard to get away.

Shiny polished ice.

Even with Quattro and softie tyres the car is blinking like a christmas tree when accelerating. emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

The softies are still driving, how about the others? emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Here in Germany at the moment you wont be able to get away and stop at crossings, even with softie tyres it is hard to get away.

Shiny polished ice.

Even with Quattro and softie tyres the car is blinking like a christmas tree when accelerating. emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Try these.........

DSC04329.jpg