BBC One HD

Royston

Yeah BBC1 HD started a few weeks ago and took over BBC HD's EPG slot of 143. BBC HD can now be found at 169 on Sky HD. :thumbup:

Also just to add that Sky are currently weighing up the option of giving all HD subscribers the option to swap the SD and HD versions of channels in their EPG some time next year too. By this i mean you would ahve the option of having BBC1 HD on 101 and BBC1 on 143, ITV1 HD on 103 and ITV1 on 178, Channel 4 HD on 104 and Channel 4 on 140 etc etc etc.......

Cheers

Dave.

Anyone noticed the campaign to upgrade the bitrate of BBC 1 HD?

It seems BBC are running a pitiful bitrate on BBC 1 HD, and apparently it doesn't look very good.

Cant say i've noticed, as i dont watch that much of it.

Freeview HD branded goods are advertised as receiving FiveHD 'end of 2010', still no sign of it,

anyone know when it launches on that platform??

They should already have launched but couldn’t meet the full requirements so lost their spot. The BBC grabbed it initially, but the Beeb also said it wasn’t going to put 5 channels on to the single HD Muxi. Then they said they had found a way of compressing the signal so they could squeeze 5 channels into it and nobody would notice the drop in quality. The last I heard was the Beeb said they agreed 5 was going to affect the overall picture quality, but I believe they are still going to do it :(

Next time I work with the Beeb lot I will interrogate them

They should already have launched but couldn’t meet the full requirements so lost their spot. The BBC grabbed it initially, but the Beeb also said it wasn’t going to put 5 channels on to the single HD Muxi. Then they said they had found a way of compressing the signal so they could squeeze 5 channels into it and nobody would notice the drop in quality. The last I heard was the Beeb said they agreed 5 was going to affect the overall picture quality, but I believe they are still going to do it :(

Next time I work with the Beeb lot I will interrogate them

Thanks Amanda, thing that annoyed me was some time ago I forked out for 'Free-Sat' box and

dish installation to get HD tv, at the time it was believed that HD would probably not be available

on 'Freeview' because of the issues with bandwidth etc.

Now it's broadcasting more content in HD than 'Free-Sat' (no Channel4 HD on 'Free-sat).

So now I'm considering buying an HD PVR so will probably go with a Freeview one!

Does anyone want to buy a sattelite dish?? :D:doh: :S

Thanks Amanda, thing that annoyed me was some time ago I forked out for 'Free-Sat' box and

dish installation to get HD tv, at the time it was believed that HD would probably not be available

on 'Freeview' because of the issues with bandwidth etc.

Now it's broadcasting more content in HD than 'Free-Sat' (no Channel4 HD on 'Free-sat).

So now I'm considering buying an HD PVR so will probably go with a Freeview one!

Does anyone want to buy a sattelite dish?? :D:doh: :S

Would you be able to get a secondhand SKY decoder? I don't know which stations are free to air, but the ITV now shows all it's 4 x channels in HD, as well as Ch4 Ch5 and the two BBC stations.

Would you be able to get a secondhand SKY decoder? I don't know which stations are free to air, but the ITV now shows all it's 4 x channels in HD, as well as Ch4 Ch5 and the two BBC stations.

That's worth investigating, for viewing definitely :thumbup: , don't know about secondhand Sky+ for

recording though, I guess possibly not? Thanks.

Anyone noticed the campaign to upgrade the bitrate of BBC 1 HD?

It seems BBC are running a pitiful bitrate on BBC 1 HD, and apparently it doesn't look very good.

Cant say i've noticed, as i dont watch that much of it.

Doesn't seem any worse than any other HD channel on Freesat? Even on our big telly?

Doesn't seem any worse than any other HD channel on Freesat? Even on our big telly?

For the first few months of the BBC HD channel the bitrate was high and quality very good but since April/May time the rate has been reduced and now BBC 1 HD has started the bitrate broadcasted is much the same, shame really, I would have thought the HD channels would be broadcasted in the best possible format, after all what is the point of HD TV. Lots off discussion on this forum about it. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1129306

Edited by Soot1e

I'd agree with the observation about mixes and fades on that link - that's the only time I've noticed any blocking TBH. I must say, following the links in the, er, link there are suggestions that viewers' settings may be to blame. Our telly's got custom settings through the service menu that I got off some forum or other, which may make a difference...???

I rang sky and asked them, they said no Ireland wont be getting it and no its not available on the xtra channels!! For free to air you have to have another system set up along side sky to get free to air from the UK.

K

You really need to have seen what BBC HD used to look like. 18 months ago the picture was way better than it is now, I have a number of old recordings on my Sky HD box and the difference is very apparent, and even more so if you compare a rerun of an older show with one shown all that time ago.

BBC1 HD and BBC HD are both transmitted at bitrates lower than recommended by the compression encoders creators. Look closely and you can see compression artifacts in dark areas, especially around the logo.