OK a couple of daft questions

Right now as I've had the VRS for a couple of weeks now and had a change to get out and about in it, I've noticed a couple of things....

Firstly why is there no 90 MPH on the dash? I was overtaking on the motorway and much to my surprise my SatNav alarm when off as it's set to 99 so I don't end up banned...when I thought I would be doing 90'ish. It was only when I looked at the dash and realised that there wasn't an 90 on there :wonder:

Anyone know why?

And secondly it's to do with the lights....with the lights off my DRL Led lights are really bright, then when I turn the light switch to the first position the DRL Led lights dim considerably and the interior dash lights come on but no other lights from the head light cluster? Only when I move the light switch to the second position do my lights come on?

I wasn't sure if this was correct?

Cheers for any heads up

(1) sounds like a human factors thing. If you put too many numbers on a dial, it actually makes it harder to read.

(2) Position 1 on the headlight switch is equivalent to switching on sidelights on a car without DRLs. If you check, I think you'll find this is when the taillights come on, and the foglights become available.

(2) Position 1 on the headlight switch is equivalent to switching on sidelights on a car without DRLs. If you check, I think you'll find this is when the taillights come on, and the foglights become available.

I only checked the front as I noticed it when I was parking up infront of the house

Right now as I've had the VRS for a couple of weeks now and had a change to get out and about in it, I've noticed a couple of things....

Firstly why is there no 90 MPH on the dash? I was overtaking on the motorway and much to my surprise my SatNav alarm when off as it's set to 99 so I don't end up banned...when I thought I would be doing 90'ish. It was only when I looked at the dash and realised that there wasn't an 90 on there :wonder:

Anyone know why?

I wasn't sure if this was correct?

Cheers for any heads up

The graduations change in value once you get above 80mph. Below that speed the incremental ones (iirc) are 2mph graduations. Once above 80mph it's 5mph. it would get a bit crowded with all the major markers shown all round the dial otherwise. I caught myself out the same way when I first got my Octy, I though I was doing 84 but I was doing 90 instead!

I have to say (also in the had my car a few weeks club) the speedo thing is very odd.....

I have no idea how i didnt notice it on the test drive but i dont think i have ever had a car with a non linear scale... ok in the r26 the numbers used to get bigger in font, but there just seems so many numbers on the thing.

Saabs have had a non-linear scale for quite some time (certainly the last 10 years or so at least) so it didn't bother me at all as I was used to it. Wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers go down this route too...

Edited by Raglits

The vRS is peculiar in having a non-linear scale above 80 mph. Other models of the Octavia have a more conventional, linear speedo.

I'm not convinced about that... It's just the other models only mark every 20 mph all round the speedo now, but I'm sure the scale changes above 80 just like on the vRS

The vRS is peculiar in having a non-linear scale above 80 mph. Other models of the Octavia have a more conventional, linear speedo.

My pre-FL Elegance had the non-linear speedo; the FL is linear so the numbers are pretty compressed with the values only marked every 20mph - at 0, 20, 40, 60 etc up to 160..

I think the non-linear is a good idea - it gives a more precise scale where you need it. At 30 or 40 mph it is useful to know your speed to within a couple of MPH but over 80 whether you are doing 80 or 85 is pretty much academic. Over 100mph and you're probably too busy to be looking anyway :)

You established this in Europe, of course didn't you.... :rofl:

I had the same problem with My VRs. Non linear scale on the speedo, whoops going way to fast on the motorway. I also think it makes it harder to see approaching those speeds we really shouldn't be doing. But its so easy in the car. I have never seen a speedo with such a graduation and i have been driving over 25 yrs. Showed a mate who is a traffic cop who also agreed it seemed a bit stupid.

I had the same problem with My VRs. Non linear scale on the speedo, whoops going way to fast on the motorway. I also think it makes it harder to see approaching those speeds we really shouldn't be doing. But its so easy in the car. I have never seen a speedo with such a graduation and i have been driving over 25 yrs. Showed a mate who is a traffic cop who also agreed it seemed a bit stupid.

To be fair, you're already speeding before the scale changes.... My Saabs changed scale after 90 rather than after 80, but either way you're still over the UK speed limit before the scale changes

To be fair, you're already speeding before the scale changes.... My Saabs changed scale after 90 rather than after 80, but either way you're still over the UK speed limit before the scale changes

No argument about the fact i am allready over the limit for the uk, ( but is it not to low any way) but that is my choice, if safe to do so. I still think it makes reading the speedo overly difficult

No argument about the fact i am allready over the limit for the uk, ( but is it not to low any way) but that is my choice, if safe to do so. I still think it makes reading the speedo overly difficult

I've had cars with variable scale speedos for about 5 years now (vRS and 2 Saab 9-3s), I think you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it...

why do you need 90mph on a speed?

or has some one forgot to tell me that they have now increased the uk speed limit about 70mph.

driving at that speed on roads is not big and its not clever.

There could be all sorts of legitimate reasons for wanting 90 indicated - continental driving, track use, etc.

Lets not forget quite a lot of us (including the previous post) havegot vRS variants of the Octy/Fabia even though we wont get close to exploiting the car's potential on UK roads.

I am not condoning speeding on UK roads but the OP is getting a lot of grief for asking a simple question! :wonder:

Edited by amii21