Er, they're not brilliant on fuel are they - or is it just me?

First time VRS owner. Had the car a few weeks now. Enjoying the vehicle very much, although there are one or two small problems that I need to sort.

However - fuel consumption. I know it's variable dependent on driving style, but my first tankful of V-Power yielded up only 310 miles. I didn't think I was driving it that heavily, a combination of two runs of 100 miles each, and the rest town driving.

The second tankful seems to be doing better according to the range meter, but even so looks like I might get about 350 this time. And I am driving it like Miss Daisy.

Is this all I can expect?

Cheers!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you recommend?

My diesel... that can chug out 650 miles on a tank load :giggle:

Might be worth checking:

- MAF

- CTS

- Themostat

- Airfilter

and that your shoes don't have a lead sole.... :rofl:

Guest westallc

remeber the time of year will not be helping cold air = more fuel being used but also means more bhp's whoop whoop

i wouldnt buy a vrs for fuel economy if you want that buy a diesel :thumbup:

First time VRS owner. Had the car a few weeks now. Enjoying the vehicle very much, although there are one or two small problems that I need to sort.

However - fuel consumption. I know it's variable dependent on driving style, but my first tankful of V-Power yielded up only 310 miles. I didn't think I was driving it that heavily, a combination of two runs of 100 miles each, and the rest town driving.

The second tankful seems to be doing better according to the range meter, but even so looks like I might get about 350 this time. And I am driving it like Miss Daisy.

Is this all I can expect?

Cheers!

I think you need to remember it is a sports hot hatch. The engine wasnt made for economy!!

350 is respectable, but beatable on a long rung

I went from Surrey to Newark and back last weekend with some town driving and got 350-ish miles.

Apart from the fact that MPG is for gays, check out the realtime MPG when you are booting it.

I've had mine down to 5MPG on hard accelerating and I average around low 20's most of the time around town.

It is what it is and what it is is tough :giggle:

Apart from the fact that MPG is for gays

:rofl:

Yep you're right there, but it's part of the initial 'Rite of Passage' when buying a new car, right? :nerd:

But it looks like I might have been a bit optimistic, and that actually there's nothing to see here.

Looks like I'll have to get used to it.

I was a bit surprised cos my last car was a 911 Carrera - 3.4 litre 6 cylinder engine - with 4 wheel drive and an auto box - plus it was an extra heavy cabrio.

And the fuel economy was about the same as this Skoda! :o

I only get about 350 ish on average with careful driving for the whole tank, like others have said thats not too bad for a 1.8t.

I bought it for my G/F as her daily, she now moans that she has to fill up every 9 days and it's costing her a bomb.... after months of moaning i've convinced her to change job somewhere closer to home, lol.

She had her interview yesterday, fingers crossed!

I am finding my Vrs more economical than expected. A 350 mile trip to Yorkshire wednesday, ( note 2 up so wife does affect economy :giggle: ) M1/A1 so all motorway. Display showed 36mpg up and 35.5mpg back, driven sensibly at similar speed to other traffic (which was doing 80-95mph)

Compared to my existing Mazda 5 Diesel where that would be mid 30's and Superb 130TDi which would give about 42mpg

But hammer a Vrs and low to mid 20's easily achievable. Also must have a smaller tank than I am used to.

Note must have been in "stealth" mode as no-one on here spotted me... ;)

Edited by goonybird

Nothing to complain about with mine. I always use V-power 99 RON in mine too (you should always try and use a minimum of 98 RON in a vRS).

If you drive like a nonce then you get 40mpg. All time max was 42mpg down the M1.

On a fast run I get 32-33mpg, and on a very fast run I average 29mpg.

Overall average is normally bang on 35mpg, which I think is great for a car this quick.

Bear in mind it has a 55 litre (12.1 gallon) tank, and the light comes on after using 40-45 litres.

55 litres @ 35mpg = 423 miles

55 litres @ 30mpg = 363 miles

55 litres @ 40mpg = 484 miles

If you're returning crappy economy then the car probably needs some TLC! A dragging rear calliper has a massive effect, and is often overlooked.

Guest westallc

Nothing to complain about with mine. I always use V-power 99 RON in mine too (you should always try and use a minimum of 98 RON in a vRS).

If you drive like a nonce then you get 40mpg. All time max was 42mpg down the M1.

Overall average is normally bang on 35mpg, which I think is great for a car this quick.

Bear in mind it has a 55 litre (12.1 gallon) tank, and the light comes on after using 40-45 litres.

If you're returning crappy economy then the car probably needs some TLC! A dragging rear calliper has a massive effect, and is often overlooked.

your very fast runs cant be that fast lol still returning them figures lol

i would see 12 to 18 max on a very fast run lol

just been to Hastings from Worksop Notts 238miles each way (vrs estate) ave 37mpg was 5 up boot full. coming back 38mpg, sons got a vrs hatch he was doing 39mpg down same coming back only two up but boot full!!!!!! 80mph all the way down . Didnt think that was bad!!!!

My diesel... that can chug out 650 miles on a tank load :giggle:

Might be worth checking:

- MAF

- CTS

- Themostat

- Airfilter

and that your shoes don't have a lead sole.... :rofl:

:rock: Really, that is good, is this all motorway or a mix?

FFS :no:

Life's too short to worry about mpg all the time.

As long as it's high 20's or in the 30's don't worry about it. I've even recently stopped resetting my trip meter each time I fill up, what's the point? You just end up trudging around everywhere and it does your engine no good.

I worked out a while ago that the difference between me just driving it how I wanted to (briskly but not daft) as opposed to mpg-hunting, was only saving me about £10 a week. I'm more than willing to pay a tenner to be able to drive how I want to.

I want to be able to look back at all the great drives I have in my cars, not look at how many pence I've saved.