Vauxhall Astra 1.3CDTi Ecoflex Stopstart

How can Vauxhall justify 21000 quid for a Astra 1.3CDTi 16V EcoFlex SRi Estate Stopstart?

Fuel consumption is no better than a new Fabia Greenline

After all its only an frigging Astra!!!!

Grahame

Phew...lotta money, especially with that Fiat engine too. It was renowned for busting it's cambelts when it first came out in 90ps format. I've rebuilt a couple of them with a modified tensioner kit.

With rock bottom residuals predicted, you've got to be fairly stupid to buy one IMO

And yet look at how many you see on the road. It doesn't say a lot for the intelligence of a vast swathe of the population does it? Nor do the viewing figures for the X Factor and similar programs.

And yet look at how many you see on the road. It doesn't say a lot for the intelligence of a vast swathe of the population does it? Nor do the viewing figures for the X Factor and similar programs.

..and the nations driving skills over the last couple of weeks. I’m seriously questioning the general populations intelligence at the moment. :giggle:

vauxhall will discount alot. Hence why people do buy them. Added with the "lifetime" warrenty.

Also astra and the fabia are not in the same class, the astra is in the Golf class which make it in the Octavia class. 21k gets you a very well kitted Octavia vRS I know which my money would be sepnt on!! :giggle:

How can Vauxhall justify 21000 quid for a Astra 1.3CDTi 16V EcoFlex SRi Estate Stopstart?

Fuel consumption is no better than a new Fabia Greenline

After all its only an frigging Astra!!!!

Grahame

I am sure there will be massive discounts on the car within a few weeks which will bring it in line with the Fabia. If the cars were the same price and similar fuel consumption and the Astra handled like the Zafira then I would go for the Astra.

Phew...lotta money, especially with that Fiat engine too. It was renowned for busting it's cambelts when it first came out in 90ps format. I've rebuilt a couple of them with a modified tensioner kit.

The engine comes with a chain not a belt or do the chains fail also?

Of course a hell of lot of Astras go to fleets! So massive discounts!! Alarm Engineers used to love em!! Ladders on the roof bars!!

A colleague of mine has ordered a Yeti 1.2TSi "S" spec and hasnt even driven one or got a discount......!!!

Regards

Grahame

The engine comes with a chain not a belt or do the chains fail also?

No...the chains are ok now to my knowledge. But yes the chains did break (usually causing fatal engine damage), the injection pump used to out to lunch due (according to Fiat) the use of poor quality UK diesel from supermarkets, the electrics gave trouble, and it was generally not a very good engine in the first instance. It was available in two formats from Fiat...75ps and 90ps. It was the 90ps unit that gave us all the problems while the 75ps unit was sweet as a nut. Yet both the same units essentially. Fiat soon dropped the 90ps unit, whilst it was re-fettled. Undoubtedly it is a fine engine now.

No...the chains are ok now to my knowledge. But yes the chains did break (usually causing fatal engine damage), the injection pump used to out to lunch due (according to Fiat) the use of poor quality UK diesel from supermarkets, the electrics gave trouble, and it was generally not a very good engine in the first instance. It was available in two formats from Fiat...75ps and 90ps. It was the 90ps unit that gave us all the problems while the 75ps unit was sweet as a nut. Yet both the same units essentially. Fiat soon dropped the 90ps unit, whilst it was re-fettled. Undoubtedly it is a fine engine now.

I had a Panda Sporting with that engine for a while and although I loathed the car the engine was a corker!

JON