Condensation?

Nickbes

Now I know the Octavia is quite bad for clearing the windscreen but my vRS seems to get a lot of condensation on the inside of the front and rear screens when it's very cold out.  Does anyone else suffer from this or could I have a bit of a dodgy door or boot seal somewhere?

I have to wait a good 10 mins with the heater on full and the vents closed for it to warm up and clear the screen enough to drive?

They are pretty bad at clearing the screen quickly, or at least mine is, despite changing the pollen filter fairly recently.

The only obvious tip is to make sure you have the blower on screen only, as any other setting (even if the screen is highlighted in the display) will reduce the air flow to the screen.

Some pollen filters have a charcoal "thing", which makes them look dirty, when in fact they are brand new - just as a word of warning for anyone checking them.

Mine is ok, but she lives in a garage :thumbup:

I don't mean to brag, but I don't have any condensation problems!

As has been said change the pollen filter annually, and make sure the AC drain is free and unblocked. Obviously a huge amount of condensation builds up on the evaporator when the AC is on, which is inside the car, so if it doesn't get drained off it will make the car damp.

I follow a sort of process when using the climate control, and it seems to keep the interior nice and dry.

If I've been on a decent length drive, and been running the AC all the way, for the last few miles I switch to ECO mode and crank up the temperature. Once it's nice and hot in the car I open the windows, to draw out all the hot moist air. The reason behind this is that with the AC running all the condensation will build up on the evaporator, and if you just stopped some of the condensation would sit there, and some of it would evaporate back into the interior atmosphere, making it humid inside again. So by turning the AC off, and cranking up the heat, I'm quickly evaporating that condensation, and making the interior very hot and humid, but by then opening the windows I'm allowing all that moisture to quickly escape. The idea is to leave very little condensation on the evaporator when the engine is turned off.

The other good one is just to make the interior so hot it's unbearable, and keep it there for a bit, then open all the windows at once. Drys the car out nice and quick!

Oh and about clearing the screen, if you shut all the dash vents it makes it much more effective. I'm sure it actually states that in the manual. I'm always so impressed with the screen clear button, and how quickly it blasts off the condensation. But then it doesn't take much to excite me!

Am I still talking............

As has been said change the pollen filter annually, and make sure the AC drain is free and unblocked. Obviously a huge amount of condensation builds up on the evaporator when the AC is on, which is inside the car, so if it doesn't get drained off it will make the car damp.

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but where is the AC drain and how do I make sure its clear?

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but where is the AC drain and how do I make sure its clear?

No worries mate, it's not obvious unless you know what your looking for. It's on the bulkhead, and is covered by some of the heat/sound shielding stuff, but there's a sort of flap cut into it so you can flap it back and have a look.

Hard to explain without pictures, so this shows it on the mk4 Golf: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3238949-DIY-Checking-A-C-Evap-Drains-and-A-C-Performance-Testing

It's where that massive puddle of water comes from under your car on a hot summers day after you've been runnning the AC cold and stopped the car. It's the one circumstance where a puddle of fluid under the car is a good thing!!

Bodge, never thought about closing the vents (DOH!) as a bit of pressure goes out through there, I always wondered why skoda didn't put a screen blower that didn't go all the way across the screen like most cars instead of just the middle. I will try the vents closed and see what happens.

I know my car has had a screen change at some point it probably won't seal as well as standard.

I turned my direction blower switch to down position of a night when finished using car,

and this has reduced my windscreen condensation problem to zero first thing in the morning.

emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I literally had to use a window blade to sweep water away from inside the windscreen it

was that bad with the water running just about anywhere.

Edited by giandougl